Un Staff Murdered

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 02:53 pm
At least seven foreign UN workers have been killed after protesters stormed a UN compound in the Afghan city of Mazar-e Sharif, officials say.

The compound was set alight as hundreds protested over the burning of the Koran in a US church last month. Several demonstrators have also been killed.

Witnesses said the protest began peacefully but suddenly turned violent.

A local police spokesman told the BBC the city was now under control and a number of people had been arrested.

Dan McNorton, spokesman for the UN mission in Afghanistan, said: "Three international UNAMA (United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan) staff members were killed, and four international armed security guards were killed."

Initial reports said eight foreign UN workers had died.

Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt later confirmed that one of the dead was a Swede, 27-year-old UN worker Joakim Dungel.

The guards are reported to be from Nepal.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are we in the West deluded sending our people over there to die for these zealots. We should immediately pull all aid workers and troops out and leave them to rot in their religious ignorance.
The preacher in the US is no better than them, another insane religious fanatic. If I was the parent of one of those UN workers killed I'd be making plans to attend one of the morons sermons real soon.
It's a pity we cant put all these insane religious zealots on an island somewhere and let them rant, rave and murder each other to their hearts content.
These cavemen in Afghanistan will never change through outside intervention, change in attitudes and thinking can only come from within.
Pull out now and don't waste another UN or soldiers life trying to save these people because their just not ready.
I know this might seem a bit extreme, but It is my initial reaction to more senseless religious based slaughter.
I also know I'm using broad brush-strokes on Afghanistan and off course not all Afghans are religious nuts, as I said It's just an initial angry reaction to more pointless killing.
But I do believe real genuine change can only come from within, like we're seeing in many other Countries at the moment.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,354 • Replies: 32
No top replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 03:11 pm

Demonstrators angry about a Koran burning stunt in the US stormed the compound in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif, grabbing weapons from guards and opening fire on police.
They had gathered in a mass protest following reports that an American pastor had set a copy of the Muslim holy book ablaze in Florida.
The dead included seven members of the UN's foreign staff. Two people are said to have been beheaded.
As many as 20 people are reported to have died in all.
TERRY JONES: NO REGRETS OVER KORAN BURNING

An Afghan official said police had arrested the suspected mastermind behind the attack on the compound. He was one of more than 20 detained by officers.
Norway said one of the victims was Lt Col Siri Skare, a 53-year-old female pilot. A Swede and four UN guards from Nepal also died. The nationality of the seventh has not been released, but it is not believed any Britons were involved.
Several hundred demonstrators were peacefully protesting against the Koran burning when the violence broke out.
Afghanistan had earlier condemned the "disrespectful and abhorrent" burning of the Koran by evangelical preacher Pastor Wayne Sapp in a Florida church on March 21, calling it an effort to incite tension between religions.
It was carried out under the supervision of controversial pastor Terry Jones, who was barred from entering the UK in February after organising a similar stunt last year.

Reports said the protests were initially peaceful but turned violent
Mr Jones planned to burn a pile of the holy books to mark the anniversary of the 2001 terrorist attacks in New York, but aborted the move under pressure from world leaders including the US president.
Speaking to Sky News, the pastor attempted to defend the burning of the Koran and launched another attack on Islam. He has described Friday's atrocities as "tragic and criminal".
President Obama condemned the killings in Afghanistan "in the strongest possible terms" and called for restraint on both sides. UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon also condemned the attacks.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 03:16 pm
http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/TV2/archive/00873/Demonstranter_Mazar_873556i.jpg
Died: The Norwegian officer Siri Skare (53) was killed when a comprehensive demonstration after Friday prayers in Mazar-e-Sharif has developed into an attack on UN headquarters in the city. Photo: AP / military installation: TV 2
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 03:32 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
One thing that does not made sense first of all as far as I know the Koran was never burn in a US church even if some small cult at one point threaten to do so.

Given that and that no link given is any of this story true?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 03:34 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
This is horrible, but near predictable.

It's also hard for me to whine about their religious zealots when we in the u.s. have our own coterie of provocateurish zealots. I say that, not being against religion in general, but in certain cases. I am not a theist; I spent a long time being one, and another time (shorter by a lot) being hostile, but now I see the good in daily lives as well as the bad in daily lives.

The weird thing to me is that I missed that the Koran was burned somewhere here last month, and I'm usually up on a lot of the news.
Is no one telling these people that that (whatever) church doesn't represent all of the U.S. or the west? I figure someone is telling them it does. Or many someones. Same with us, here.

Power of what? the media? the purveyors of discord?
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 03:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I was just looking at Jone's "Dove World" web-site. Usual tactic, scare the be-jaysus out of people. But that said, I can see it appealing to a lot of people, especially when you see the behaviour of the Islamic fanatics and the deafening silence coming from the moderate side of Islam, if there is such a thing.
Like I said, put them all together on an island somewhere so the rest of us can get on with our lives.
Maybe check back in a few years to see if they have evolved.

I'm certainly not promoting this nut, but if you want to hear what he has to say.

http://www.doveworld.org/ (Comes with a health warning)
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 03:53 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
As you can see no Koren was in fact burn is a US church so this is even more pointless then it would otherwise be.

And it get even stranger as the story is that no Koran was burn and then it go on to talk about a Koran burning.

------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/8422469/Seven-killed-in-worst-ever-attack-on-UN-workers-in-Afghanistan.html

The church is headed by Terry Jones, a pastor who threatened to burn a Koran in September, on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Even though Mr Jones called off his planned action in the face of global outrage, five people were killed in protests targeting Nato facilities in Afghanistan. Pastor Jones told Sky News in the wake of the attack that the US "must take action".

Following the Koran burning, Maulvi Qayamuddin Kashaf, had called on American authorities to prosecute Mr Sapp as a war criminal. Hamid Karzai, Afghanistan's President, had also described the Koran burning as a "crime against religion," and called on the US and UN to take action.

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 03:56 pm
@BillRM,
Are you sure ?. I'm reading this on CNN.

March 2011

Jones announces he will hold "International Judge the Koran Day" on March 20, in which he stages a mock trial of the Quran, burns the Muslim holy book, and posts photos on his church's website. The incident receives little media attention in the United States, but is publicly condemned by Pakistan's government. The country's interior minister calls for international terrorism charges to be leveled against Jones, according to The Associated Press of Pakistan.

But either way I agree with it being pointless.
BillRM

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 04:01 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
I guess you can never take a man of "god" at his word that he would not be burning any Korans.

It burning sure flown under the radar in the US at least.

http://en.news.maktoob.com/20090000642332/Koran_burnt_in_Florida_church/Article.htm

By AFP
GAINESVILLE (AFP) - A controversial US evangelical preacher on Sunday oversaw the burning of a copy of the Koran in a small Florida church after finding the Muslim holy book "guilty" of crimes.

The burning was carried out by pastor Wayne Sapp under the supervision of Terry Jones, who last September drew sweeping condemnation over his plan to ignite a pile of Korans on the anniversary of September 11, 2001 attacks.

Sunday's event was presented as a trial of the book in which the Koran was found "guilty" and "executed."

The jury deliberated for about eight minutes. The book, which had been soaking for an hour in kerosene, was put in a metal tray in the center of the church, and Sapp started the fire with a barbecue lighter.

The book burned for around 10 minutes while some onlookers posed for photos.

Jones had drawn trenchant condemnation from many people, including US President Barack Obama, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, over his plan to burn the Muslim holy book in September.

He did not carry out his plan then and vowed he never would, saying he had made his point.

But this time, he said he had been "trying to give the Muslim world an opportunity to defend their book," but did not receive any answer.

He said he felt that he couldn't have a real trial without a real punishment.

The event was open to the public, but fewer than 30 people attended.

Life in the normally quiet city of Gainesville is centered around the University of Florida. And while there were public protests against Jones' 9/11 activities, this event was largely ignored.

Jadwiga Schatz, who came to show support for Jones, expressed concern that Islam was growing in Europe.

"These people, for me, are like monsters," she said. "I hate these people."

Jones said he considered this event a success.

"This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience," he said.
| | 2382 | |

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 04:12 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Ok, I thought not. This is a manufactured bizarreness from both sides.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 04:36 pm
Below is from the nut group/church website and thank for both sides showing how insane they happen to be.

Hopefully all this supernatural **** will one day die out and no one will then be kill or harm over this silliness
------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.doveworld.org/blog/2011/03/ten-reasons-to-judge-then-burn-the-koran-%E2%80%A6-again

TEN REASONS TO BURN A KORAN

One

The Koran teaches that Jesus Christ, the Crucified, Risen Son of God, King of Kings and Lord of Lords was NOT the Son of God, nor was he crucified.
This teaching removes the possibility of salvation and eternal life in heaven for all Islam's believers. They face eternal damnation in hell if they do not repent.

Two

The Koran is not what Islam claims it to be. It does not have an eternal origin. It is not recorded in heaven. The Almighty God, Creator of the World, is NOT it's source. It is not holy. It's writings are human in origin, a concoction of old and new teachings.

Three

The Koran's teaching includes Arabian idolatry, paganism, rites and rituals. These are demonic, an ongoing satanic stronghold under which Muslims and the world suffer.

Four

The earliest writings that are known to exist about the Prophet Mohammad were recorded 120 years after his death. All of the Islamic writings (the Koran and the Hadith, the biographies, the traditions and histories) are confused, contradictory and inconsistent. We have no conclusive account about what he said or did. Yet Muslims follow the destructive teachings of Islam without question.

Five

Mohammad's life and message cannot be respected. The first Meccan period of his leadership seems to have been religiously motivated and a search for the truth. But in the second Medina period he was openly corrupt, power hungry, and obsessed with selfish pleasures. These are characteristics that God hates. They also led to political assassinations and massacres which continue to be carried out on a regular basis by his followers today.

Six

Islamic Law is totalitarian in nature. There is no separation of church and state. It is irrational. It is supposedly immutable and cannot be changed. It must be accepted without criticism. It has many similarities to Nazism, Communism and Fascism. It is not compatible with Western Civilization.

Seven

Islam is not compatible with democracy and human rights. The notion of a moral individual capable of making decisions and taking responsibility for them does not exist in Islam. The attitude towards women in Islam as inferior possessions of men has led to countless cases of mistreatment and abuse for which Muslim men receive little or no punishment. This is a direct fruit of the teachings of the Koran.

Eight

A Muslim does not have the right to change his religion. Apostasy is punishable by death.

Nine

Islamic teaching and culture consistently perpetuate an irrational fear and loathing of the West.

Ten

Islam is a weapon of Arab imperialism and Islamic colonialism. Where Islam has or gains political power, Christians, Jews and all non-Muslims suffer persecution and discrimination. This includes murders, rape, imprisonment and the destruction of churches, synagogues, temples and other places of worship.

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 04:49 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Hopefully all this supernatural **** will one day die out and no one will then be kill or harm over this silliness

Don't hold your breath.
They indoctrinate and brainwash them young and there's enough fear & hatred out there to fuel these religions for eons.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 04:59 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Euro, I'm not against your opinion. I just know about a giant wash of hate raining on our hair here in the u.s., trying to pump us up. And in this case, we have two isolated instances. Both will reverberate, though I predict most in the u.s. aren't for Mister Jones, and that the person who promoted that in afghanistan knew that.

BillRM

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 05:01 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
The UN need to used real troops for security in dangerous areas of the world not troops from countries that had not seen combat for a few hundreds years.

I just can picture any mob taking away the firearms from US Maries and using it again them and the people they are guarding.

Or UK troops or French troops or..........................for that matter.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 05:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Calm down, Oss.

Smoke a big Joint and chill. Razz

So long as you can think for yourself, you'll be fine.

Now spark up that spliff Laughing
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 05:12 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Not a smoker, though I reserve the right to have great brownies sometime in my future. It's been since something like '72, when I ate five since I was at work late and hungry.. That Gail... she warned us, but not well enough.
I had to rest before I went home from work.

Explain your argument besides telling me to chill?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 05:14 pm
I have been following this. It's all predictable, but nobody can stop it, apparently.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 05:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, I don't doubt that people were killed. I do see manufacture on both sides.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 05:16 pm
@BillRM,
Good point.

I know a few lads stationed over there with the British army, two who are really good friends of mine and they just want to get the hell out of there.
They say, nothings really changed, on the surface yeah, but deep down it's still the same repressive society it always was. The men treat the women as slaves, young girls are terrorised for going to school. Tribal law still holds sway. My squaddie mates don't know why their there, as far as their concerned the Afghans hate them. Especially the religious nuts.
Real change has to come from within a country.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 05:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I do see manufacture on both sides.

Off course, thats what they do.

I wasn't " arguing " telling you to chill.
What argument ?