Official a2k Celebrity Encounters Diary

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 06:49 pm
Have you actually encountered a famous celebrity (a movie star, a rock star, a famous novelist, a billionaire socialite, etc...)?

What was the occasion? Did you ask for an autograph? Did you have a conversation? Could the DA get a conviction against you or did they mess up enough with the evidence to get a mistrial or an acquittal of the stalking charges? Wink

The raison d'etre to this thread is a relative nonevent. Walking home from work, I took a right onto an east/west street (can't remember now exactly where) somewhere in Chelsea and walked right past Richard Belzer standing on the sidewalk with a couple while he was walking his dog outside the set of the filming of Law and Order: SVU. Shame on him has his dog (I'm assuming it was his dog) had no leash. Wink Some kind of Yorkie mix.

Could have sworn that there would have been a thread on this topic but the custom Google search feature has failed me again.

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 07:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well, I got a private concert by Krystian Zimerman once. He was in town for a concert but couldn't use the hall's piano the night before he was to perform because there was another concert booked. My boss allowed him to use the piano at his home but he (my boss) already had tickets to that night's concert so I let him (KZ) in and hung around until he was done practising. My boss bought me his next album as a "thank you". I still have it.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 07:11 pm
i've had lots of celeb sightings and meetings

i was in the lobby of the Royal York hotel when then Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, Conservative leader Joe Clark and NDP leader Ed Broadbent walked through the lobby

i was on the subway one night when two drunk newfies accosted Al Waxman, they told him how much they'd loved him in King of Kensington (a Canadian sitcom), but questioned what he'd been doing since then, he just kind of smiled and looked kind of sheepish, about half a year later he was starring in Cagney & Lacey. i felt bad for Al he was only trying to get to a Maple Leaf's game

met Bruce Cockburn in a bookstore on Queen Street, Toronto (Pages, for the local folks)

Singer Bob Segarini almost threw up on my shoes at a club, a buddy of mine had written a song for him years ago, nad he came out to see them play, he was well into the decline of his career at this point

saw Canadian News Anchor Peter Truman in a small restaurant in Kingston, and then actually met him on a nature walk at a local park
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 07:52 pm
I too met Joe Clark. I was staying at Jasper Park Lodge, and I literaly tripped over his wife, Maureen McTeer. We were there on a ski or baseball trip, can't remember, used to go a lot as I worked for the hotels. Anywho, we were all badly hung over, then as I walked into the dining room, there was Joe. I put my arm across his shoulder and dragged him over to our table and introduced our new Prime Minister to my friends. His security went ape ****, but Joe was cool and shook hands with everyone. Actually, in hind sight, I was probably still drunk... None the less, I don't think a person could get away with that in this day and age. Laughing
I've met Gretzky several times, but the first time I was at the airport talking to an American. He asked me if I knew him and I said of course sarcastically, and lo and behold there he was with his parents, so I walked up and started chatting to him, introduced him to the stunned hockey fan and carried on like we were old pals. Gretz probably thought I was nuts but... didn't want to lose face.
I also met Bryan Adams. I was working at a movie theatre. We had just closed the candy bar and these two guys came in really late. I had my back turned and I didn't see them enter. The girl I was with refused to sell them anything because we'd just done our final count and I was doing the cashout. I told her to give them what they wanted anyway, again she refused, so without turning around I asked them what they wanted. I gave them the popcorn and pop before I realized who he was. He was grateful and gave me two tickets his show the next night. I didn't take her...
My favourite brush with greatness was Colin Hay, of Men at Work and Martin Sexton, both backstage at the folk fest where we talked and drank beer. I've met Martin again since then. I've actually met several musicians, but those two stand out because I'm a big fan.
Dj, do you know Bob Snider?
My husband and I met George Bush Sr. at a Houston Texan (sic?) game. Romeo was wearing a cheap rubber mapleleaf bracelet and George came over to him, he wanted to talk to the Canadian. We met Pam Anderson on the same trip, but that was no biggie. My cousin went to school with her and, well, I'm just not that interested.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 08:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Could have sworn that there would have been a thread on this topic but the custom Google search feature has failed me again.
http://able2know.org/topic/56899-1
(i used plain old google search, knowing i'd posted in it...)
ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 08:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
Many times, and I'm not going to post those again, I'm sorry I ever responded on that.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 09:03 pm
@Region Philbis,
Shakes fist at Google Custom search!! (((fist))) Mad
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2011 09:06 pm
@Ceili,
You've met a flotilla of people Ceili. Bold moves there! Very Happy

Be glad you didn't go too near Pamela Anderson. I hear she had at least 10 strains of hepatitis and TB. Shocked
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 02:33 am
I've seen lots of famous people wandering around the streets of Noo Yawk. But did I actually meet any of them? Yes.

I met Paul Newman. I was dumbstuck. Could not speak.

Eugene McCarthy, one of the few politician I actually admired.

Ed Koch, taller than I expected.

Mel Torme, a nice enough guy.

Walt Frazier, about as tall as I expected, and still looking good.
dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 02:47 am
@Roberta,
TELL US ABOUT PAUL!!!! Please...I really admire him and Joanne Woodward.

Also Eugene...please?
Roberta

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 03:27 am
@dlowan,
In the Bronx, there were two political parties: the Regular Democrats and the Reform Democrats. There was a big move on the get the regulars out. Paul was campaigning in the Bronx. I was very active. I met him when he was campaigning. He looked like a god. Great coloring. Tan, blue-blue eyes. Fit and trim. He seemed very gracious. I was a blithering idiot. Couldn't speak. I shook his hand. I was convinced after that that the reason he and Joanne stayed together so long was that she may have been one of the few females who didn't act like an idiot when he was around.

McCarthy struck me as sincere with real feelings and concerns about the issues, unlike most politicians I met who seemed more interested in getting elected and getting in females' pants than the issues. He also was very smart. I didn't get to know him well, but that's what I remember.

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 04:52 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
Dj, do you know Bob Snider?

i wish, love his music though
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 05:58 am
@tsarstepan,
Sarah Jessica Parker, very sweet and polite, she even sweeps her own sidewalk free of leaves. Her husband Matthew Broderick seemed a little pushy(are they still together?).
Lawrence "The Plagiarist" Block, strange man but pleasant, his wife Lynn is a head turner and sweet. His books are still dull.
Andrew McCarthy (he was part of the 80s brat pack), a few times, met him through a friend, he's very pleasant.
Mike Sheehan- 1 time cop, now a t.v. news reporter.
Ed Koch, former NYC Mayor saw him, we didn't talk.
Paul Tsongas (he was a Dem. Presidential primary runner in 1992) friendly, extremely warm hands.
Andy Rooney (60 Minutes guy) his eyebrows really are that unkempt.
Tuli Kupferberg, late, of The Fugs, we were incarcerated in the same rehab facility in 2009, we called him Norman.

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 07:05 pm
Met Lord Louis Mountbatten when I was 18...and Prince Charles...they were involved with my college.

Rosalyn and Jimmy Carter. Our band used to play for the White House Easter Egg hunts.

Sat down to dinner with Donald and Ivana Trump at a college fund raiser. She was charming. He not so much.

I met a lot of famous musicians over the years. Earl Scruggs was modest. Leon Russell was ...weird.

I never asked for an autograph though. It never seemed to matter.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2011 07:10 pm
I used to be pretty friendly with Dion, used to see him all the time when I lived in Fla.

Nice guy. Quiet.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 12:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yesterday, walking home from work, I walked by Jim Gaffigan, the very funny stand-up comedian (at least I'm sure it was him) on Park Avenue, a few blocks from Union Square.
0 Replies