Is it Exploitation?

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 12:52 pm
There was a blurb on TV advertising some movie with Anne Heche. It shows her being kissed by a leading man. Let's say, that I did a double take! Surprised
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 12:57 pm
I remember her in a movie with Harrison Ford. I think it was after her "coming out." She also did that volcano movie with Tommy Lee Jones a few years ago but I don't think there was a love relationship between them.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 02:29 pm
Movie stars generally have sex with each other or at least another professional in the industry -- nothing can be said without that person outing themselves.

Hollywood is packed wall-to-wall with bisexuals -- perched on those fences, it must be very uncomfortable. Well, if that's the only thing thats poking them.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 02:31 pm
BTW, the best documentary on gays in film is "The Celluloid Closet." Link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112651/combined
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 04:13 pm
LOL! I am sure lots of gay actors have played straight roles!!!!!!!

Or, do you mean, will audiences accept an "out" gay actor in a straight role. Ann Heche?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 04:31 pm
I mentioned Rupert Everett. My question is do you think an audience would accept him playing a straight romantic character in a movie? dlowan, did the audience accept Ann Heche? I don't think so. The movie she did with Harrison Ford (usually a guaranteed moneymaker) bombed at the box office but why? Was it a stinko movie or was it Ms. Heches' performance as a straight woman while publicly involved with Ellen Degeneres?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 04:52 pm
I guess Gandalf doesn't count as a romantic lead...

Seriously, I think having openly gay Hollywood stars is too new of a phenomenom for most people to ignore. I hope that someday it would be possible for Rupert Everett (or any gay actor) to play a straight romantic role without it being an issue.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 05:13 pm
On "straights"a s gays in film, does anyone remember a movie about the Symbolist poet Rimbaud, starring Leonardo DiCaprio as the top, which had graphic scenes of him grudging his "bottom?"
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:26 pm
I do remember that one, hobitbob, it was called Total Eclipse.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:58 pm
hobitbob, what does 'grudging his bottom' mean? Shocked
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 11:33 pm
"To Grudge": To have agrressive, vigourous thrusty-like intercourse, from the phrase "grudge f_____g."
"Bottom." The person not on top is on the ______.
Very Happy
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 11:38 pm
Wow! Who was his partner?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 11:44 pm
David Thewlis, as Paul Verlaine.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:16 am
And a mediocre film at that -- the sick relationship is further compounded by making both characters so repulsive that it puts Leopold/Loeb to shame. There's no attempt to convince that either of them were great writers.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:29 am
Can't reach the Tiny URL site this morning -- their server is having problems. I'll try moving the image to Raven's Realm and then move it over here. Sorry, don't know what happened.
0 Replies