Reminder On My Computer

Pitter

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 07:31 am
How do I set up a reminder that pops up on my screen on a certain date?

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 07:43 am
@Pitter,

you would need a calendar program.
i know outlook e-mail has one...
0 Replies

manored

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 12:13 pm
@Pitter,
Yeah, just look for a calendar program. I think windows probaly has such a fuction somewhere, if its your OS, but its probaly much harder to find and setup than just downloading a calendar program =)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 01:54 pm
@Pitter,
The long defunct Borland Sidekick did a great job - in 1989. I'm interested in a current answer, too. I have an alarm system within Peachtree Accounting, but you have to load peachtree and check for notices. What we need is a pop-up on the desktop.

Till then, I use a wall calendar just like grandpaw's.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 02:40 pm
It looks like Windows 7 no longer comes with a calendar .
But it is part of windows live mail
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/looking-for-windows-calendar

A lot of email programs come a calendar.

I use Thunderbird as my email program which has an add on called Lightning which provides a calendar.

It also allows me to link to google calendar so I can keep my calendar online and link that calendar to my phone as well as my work computer and my ipod touch. I can set alarms to email, text my phone, do a popup on my computer or any combination of the above.

If you want your system to do the popup, it would probably be possible to set the task scheduler to run a program that is just a popup text box.
0 Replies

manored

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 11:29 am
My brother has an exclusively calendar program on his desktop so I know there are some. I never bothered to check it out though, I use a self-administred annotations system instead =)

I will give it a look later.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 11:34 am
@Pitter,
If you are on the Internet when you are on the computer consider using Google Calendar or a similar service. I like GC because I can easily create new calendars (I made a public calendar for my tennis team with all our matches in five minutes and one for the public school system in ten) and link them to my calendar, then turn the view on and off at will. Plus whenever I pull up the Internet I have my calendar instead of just at home. It will also send email and pop-up reminders if you ask it to.
manored

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 01:06 pm
I found out what my brother uses. Its not an actual independent program but rather "gadgets" avaible for windows vista and 7, and there is off course a calendar one. They can be downloaded and installed for free from any of a zillion sites out there.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 01:22 pm
@engineer,
I second the online calendar recommendation (there's Google Calendar for free but also a lot of others). Most of these will sync to your desktop or mobile client as well for example.

So as an example, I have my calendar online, but it syncs to my desktop (where I also have other calendars that launch automated programmed tasks like email backup while I am sleeping) and the non-automated stuff all gets synced to my phone, other laptops and tablets as well.

No matter what I am in front of, I get alarms, notifications and whatever I want (most times I don't want something obtrusive) and I sync it all through Google Calendar.

Sync is the killer feature of PIM. Google is the best free sync around at the time.
0 Replies