Weird Stuff on Cable

Roberta

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 02:02 pm
@chai2,
chai, I was wondering about the human's reaction. Yup, dogs are primal, but my question related to the human reaction of seemingly being more afraid of a dog than an armed cop.

FYI, the dogs are trained to bite once and hold on. The police officer's voice command will stop the dog.

farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 02:40 pm
@Roberta,
Ive been watching the show"Hqcking the Wild". Premise: nersy guy is u=in the wilderness ALONE with bout 80 lb of tech geqr. He uses the tech gear to rig up McGyvery crap to get out of the wilderness.

Its dumb, He carries and eviscerates all his tech gear to make some (usually) dumass gizmos to "help" him overcome obstacles or help him void wild beasties.
A decent knowledge of woods and field would help him not waste so much time building all this **** that is of minimal use . (But I guess that story line has already been used by some real survival folks)

This one is as dum as "Naked and Afraid" in which a man qnd woman team up. (Both buck naked)

Roberta

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 06:41 pm
@farmerman,
I have passed on Hocking the Wild. Not my kinda thing. I've seen Naked and Afraid. No big deal. And no naughty bits are shown. What's the point of naked if we don't get to see nuttin' interesting.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 03:19 am
@Roberta,
I just stumbled on a truly horrific new show......"Mama June: From Not to Hot", I watched about 5 minutes interspersed by about 4 minutes of commercials but then the daughters gave 'mama' advice prior to a "blind date" that consisted of "it's a classy place so don't fart or belch a lot". I suppose that's always good advice.......?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 05:40 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
then the daughters gave 'mama' advice prior to a "blind date" that consisted of "it's a classy place so don't fart or belch a lot". I suppose that's always good advice.......?

Not advice I've ever taken, thank you very much.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 05:28 pm
@glitterbag,
I had no interest in Here Comes Honey Boo Boo and the disgusting mother mama June now doing this show is of no interest especially after the nightmare she put her children through with that degenerate boyfriend she was with for a time Mark McDaniel.

Pathetic woman who'll do anything for a dollar.
Roberta

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 07:02 pm
@Sturgis,
I have somehow managed to miss the boo boo mama shows. I guess I should be glad.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 07:09 pm
@Roberta,
It's a very low point in TV history. It's honestly very sad that there is a show and even sadder that some people watch it.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 09:31 pm
Although Homicide Hunter: Lt. Joe Kenda has been on the air for a while, I avoided it because I don't like the title. Isn't a homicide hunter somebody who hunts murders? This guy doesn't hunt murders; he hunts murderers. If they can't come up with a title that makes sense, can I trust the content of the show? As it turns out, yes I can.

The show has reenactments of Kenda's old cases. Kenda provides commentary. He's smart, wry, and tough. I would not want this guy after me. (Aside: The actor who plays Kenda as a young detective ain't half bad.)

I continue to watch Too Cute on Animal Planet over and over. Cute doesn't wear out. Litters of puppies or kittens are followed from birth to about two months old. Too cute is an understatement.

Special moment: Although the show features plenty of mixed breeds, it primarily focuses on specific breeds. I assume that the producers seek out pregnant pets and plan to showcase a specific breed. One week it was a Siberian cat. There was the mother, glorious in her cream colored coat and long fur. And there were the kittens, black and tabby! The narrator remarked that the kittens bore a remarkable resemblance to the male cat next door. The supposed father, a Siberian housemate of the female Siberian, was not a happy camper. I laughed.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2017 12:05 am
I recently watched a show called The Healer. A guy heals people via some inner power. He's not a faith healer. No mention is made of faith, God, etc. He just finds people who are in pain and relieves their pain. He does this by closing his eyes and fluttering his eyelashes while he holds his hand(s) on or near the person in pain. Voila. No more pain. Several doctors appeared on the show, mystified. Hey, docs. Moi aussi. Is it made up for TV? Does this healer really heal? I'm skeptical.

Street Justice, The Bronx, is a new reality show. The police career of the most decorated police officer in NYC history is followed. He's older and narrates, while some younger guy plays him in the reenactments. I like this show for several reasons. Ralph (the cop) reminds me of my grandpa. Iron muscles and slavic looking. I also like it because much of it takes place in or near my old neighborhood in the Bronx. Back in the days when this neighborhood had the highest crime rate in the country. The good old days? Not exactly. Not good memories. Living in fear. But seeing the show gives me a vague sense of being a part of what was happening. Hey, I remember that!
Sturgis

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 02:48 pm
@Roberta,
I'll take a look for Street Justice, The Bronx tonight.
Roberta

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 05:13 pm
@Sturgis,
I'm interested to know what you think.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 08:05 pm
@Roberta,
I just set a reminder for Street Justice, I’m a patsy for cop shows. I haven’t caught the Healer yet, I’ll look for it.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 04:58 pm
@Roberta,
Quite interesting. Street Justice: The Bronx, held my attention for the hour (although I did switch to other channels during the commercials). Good to have something new to add for viewing.

Seeing as it's based on real cases helps too, along with well done reenactments.

Roberta

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 05:31 pm
@Sturgis,
Thanks for getting back to me. I was a little disappointed in this episode, although I did enjoy how they cornered the bad guy.

Previous episodes showed more action on the street. I liked that more, but Ralph was like super cop.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 09:47 am
A trend that has been growing and growing leaves me mystified. How far are people willing to go to be on television, if that's their motivation. Marrying a total stranger comes instantly to mind (Marriage at First Sight or 90-Day Fiance). More big families inviting cameras into their private lives. Overweight people putting their weight-loss saga on TV. A young boy is transgender. He's a girl. Another girl gained a lot of weight after college and made a show about it (My Big Fat Fabulous Life). People with strange additions, people with drug addictions. Hoarders. I could go on.

People should do what they want to do. What I find strange is how eager they are to reveal themselves to the world.

I don't watch most of these shows because I'm just not interested.

I don't understand why they do it.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 10:19 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

A young boy is transgender. He's a girl.

It's very hard getting treatment on the NHS. For example one of the suppliers of testosterone has stopped manufacturing it meaning the other manufacturer is inundated and there's not enough to go around.

Even then transgender people have to jump through all sorts of hoops before they're allowed treatment, and many can't afford to do it privately.

A trashy TV programme may be the only option open to some.
chai2

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 05:28 pm
@izzythepush,
I don't think that's the case with this kid izzy, if it's the same one I'm thinking of that Roberta mentioned.

Is it Jazz, Roberta?

I kinda followed that story when she was a very little kid. It was obvious even way back then this was a girl, not a boy.

Now, she's a teen, and it's just too much watching the usual "I know everything" stuff teens go through, while at the same time applying it to such complex circumstances.

I watched some of this on youtube the other day. Mucho TMI.

Jazz had been told by one doctor she could have the less complex procedure to create a vagina. Basically turning the penis inside out and put inside the body.
Another doctor said it wouldn't work well, because the kid has been taking hormones/medications for so long, the penis never developed much, is really small, and there's not enough to create close to a normal size va-jay-jay.

Jazz seemed more concerned it would look "pretty" rather than function adequately.

I'm 59, and I cannot tell you that I ever looked down there with the intent to see if it was "pretty".

Jazz, that's the least of your worries.
Roberta

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2018 10:21 pm
@chai2,
Yup, chai, Jazz is the kid. I'll never understand why she wanted this televised. I have never watched the show. But I see the ads.

I left out one category: Bigamy. There was one show. Now there are two. I never watched this either.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 6 May, 2018 10:25 pm
Animal Planet has a relatively new show called The Zoo. It's a behind the scenes look at the Bronx Zoo, which is one of my favorite places. Although there are many situations with all kinds of animals, I'm thinking of the problems the zoo is having in getting animals to mate. One of its goals is to help endangered species. So far, mixed results.

The first show I saw about this related to kiwis, fluffy, flightless birds that live in holes in the ground. They had a female. They introduced a male after considerable efforts to duplicate habitat, etc. She didn't like him. The zoo keeper gave it time. She still didn't like him. They had to find another male.

They decided to mate a two-year-old male tiger with a 10-year-old female. She was willing. He was over-eager. He got on top of her and started humping. One problem. At no time did any part of his body enter hers! He missed. They tried a few more times. Nope and nope. Maybe another time.

They had a komodo dragon named Ivy. They found her a mate. Mating between komodos can be hazardous and dangerous, especially for the female, who is usually smaller and weaker. Ivy is in the enclosure. They introduce the male. There's a bit of racing around. A bit of exploration. And then Ivy took a bite out of the male. The keepers had to call the whole thing off. The male required stitches.

I really like this show. Even the episodes that aren't about sex. An arthritic kangaroo, an aging polar bear, a baby gazelle, a goofy giraffe.

0 Replies