1

Valerian root and birth control pills

JD3P

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 03:56 pm
I was just curious if valerian root interferes with the effectiveness of birth control pills.

djjd62

1  
Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 03:59 pm
@JD3P,
not sure, but if it does you can always name the kid valerie if it's a girl or rudy (root-y) if it's a boy Razz
JD3P

1  
Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 04:00 pm
@djjd62,
Clever, but let's hope there aren't any interactions decreasing it's effectiveness! LOL
Green Witch

2  
Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 07:53 pm
@JD3P,
You need to contact the drug company that makes your birth control and ask if what you are taking has been tested with valerian. You can usually get a list of over the counter herbs that effect a drug. You are not likely to get accurate information on a forum like this and it's not something you want to get wrong.

dadpad

1  
Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 08:26 pm
Some herbal products can interact with prescription medicines. Be sure to tell your health care provider about any herbal products you are taking.

Below is extracted from Contemporary Alternatives to Plant Estrogens for Menopause
Stacie E. Geller, Ph.D., Associate Professor and Laura Studee, MPH

Many [other] botanicals are commonly used for menopause and menopause-related complaints including..... valerian (Valeriana officinalis).

I have found references to valerian on body building sites and for use as a treatment for pre, peri and menopausal symptoms. This would on the face of it indicate some hormonal action. While this is not definitive in its self you would be well aadvised to contact the supplier of your birthcontrol (medical practicioner) and of the valerian extract.

JD3P

1  
Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 08:30 pm
@JD3P,
I am going to call the birth control company and ask them. I was reading the pamphlet and see it says that hypothyroid medication may interfere, which I started taking. Yet when I asked my endocrinologist he said it did not..hmm...calling is probably the best thing to do. Thanks.