OBVIOUS TROLL

wayne

Tue 22 Mar, 2011 05:47 pm
@Setanta,
I try not to feed the guy very often, I do enjoy reading his rants from time to time. Something about this particular troll is entertaining at times.

I think that the challenge of figuring out if he's really that way, or if it's a game, tends to be a bit fascinating.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 22 Mar, 2011 06:15 pm
@msolga,
Its like the OJ chase . Anyone remember that one? FASCINATING AFTERNOON ON TV.
(hey, I know Im shouting, Im just so excited waiting for the man hisself to check in and start screaming at us)

SHATNER IS 80??
msolga

Tue 22 Mar, 2011 06:19 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Its like the OJ chase . Anyone remember that one? FASCINATING AFTERNOON ON TV.
(hey, I know Im shouting, Im just so excited waiting for the man hisself to check in and start screaming at us)

So that's it!
I see.
But it could all be contained beautifully on just one, never ending, incredibly insulting, revolting thread.
Think of all the saved space! Smile
Reyn

Tue 22 Mar, 2011 07:56 pm
@djjd62,
Laughing Laughing

Nice one!
0 Replies

firefly

Tue 22 Mar, 2011 09:09 pm
Well, I've been responding to him, but generally to label him as a troll. I've repeatedly confronted him with his being a troll.

I realize that responding to him, in any way, does keep him going, but I sometimes can't resist the temptation, either out of a selfish need to amuse myself, or simply because my tolerance for listening to his limited repertoire of BS has reached the breaking point. I really wish he'd come up with some new material. His responses are so predictable, he's really like a parody or a cartoon.

I think some others are continuing to respond to him out of some sense of compassion for someone they see as mentally ill. But, mentally ill or not, the guy is deliberately obnoxious, offensive, manipulative, and rather absurdly demanding and self absorbed, and there really isn't good reason to tolerate his crap, let alone try to excuse it by viewing him as socially disabled. He is perfectly capable of turning all the nonsense off, and in a few threads he has done so.

I'm pretty bored with him now. And ultimately, it will be boredom that causes me to stop responding to him altogether.

But I must say, he seems to foster a sense of camaraderie among those who respond to him, and even those who just watch, because we are all engaged with this rather strange presence and we are sharing something that's occurring right before us. Maybe that contributes to why we keep feeding him and keep him going. He brings us together, even if it's just to talk about him and share our reactions to what we are witnessing. We're getting something out of our involvement with him, otherwise this thread wouldn't be here. When he stops serving even that purpose, then he's really going to get ignored.

Meanwhile, this thread is feeding him, not just crumbs, but a whopping big meal--it's another thread all about him. http://www.leonardcohenforum.com/download/file.php?id=4472

ehBeth

Tue 22 Mar, 2011 09:17 pm
@firefly,
I do wish you'd put a little more effort into resisting your urge to feed any of the trolls.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 22 Mar, 2011 09:19 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Meanwhile, this thread is feeding him, not just crumbs, but a whopping big meal--it's another thread all about him.

actually, I perceive this thread as being more about being puzzled by the folks who continue to engage with trolls - not the trolls themselves ... though it is increasingly difficult to see the difference between the two groups
firefly

Tue 22 Mar, 2011 09:46 pm
@ehBeth,
But this thread is about one particular troll who was unmistakenly identified in the opening post.

And there is some ambiguity about this particular troll that provokes merriment as much as frustration. If there wasn't some enjoyment to be gained by the responders, he wouldn't be getting responses. He really isn't being taken very seriously. Just look at the tone of this thread.
laughoutlood

Tue 22 Mar, 2011 10:46 pm
@Setanta,
We like you.
0 Replies

fobvius

Tue 22 Mar, 2011 10:54 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
But it could all be contained beautifully on just one, never ending, incredibly insulting, revolting thread.
Think of all the saved space!

I did what I thought best.
msolga

Tue 22 Mar, 2011 11:36 pm
@fobvius,
Well good for you!
And what was that?
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 23 Mar, 2011 02:58 am
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:
Perhaps one of the photo shop savy members here can whip you up a nice 'No Feeding The Trolls' sign Set.

I suspect i could find one easily enough online--but since i don't post in trolls' threads, what would i do with it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 23 Mar, 2011 03:01 am
@MonaLeeza,
That may well be true--all the more reason not to feed that . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 23 Mar, 2011 03:03 am
@ossobuco,
Actually, the person i have in mind made a point of shouting more than once that he "had me on ignore." If that is true, then this thread doesn't feed the troll because he can't see it.
Setanta

Wed 23 Mar, 2011 03:08 am
@firefly,
As i've already pointed out to Osso, this clown ostensibly has me "on ignore," so this thread is not visible to him, and therefore doesn't fee him--i'm not totally clueless, you know. As for whether or not it identifies him, at least two people here have no clue who this is about, and if this clown can't see his own problems, he probably wouldn't see a description of himself in the first post.

But, bottom line, if i'm being electronically ignored, the troll doesn't know of the existence of this thread.
firefly

Wed 23 Mar, 2011 03:13 am
@Setanta,
Unfortunately, Setanta, someone in another thread advised him to look at this one.
Quote:
By the way, someone accused you of making antisemitic comments. If I were you, I'd post at the thread where this accusation has been made to refute it (if, in fact, it is false). I hope this is not something you have done. I'd be disappointed in you if you had. Like I said, check it out and make your own contribution to the ongoing discussion. Oh, I almost forget ... the thread is entitled "OBVIOUS TROLL." Setanta wrote the OP. (Don't let that single fact keep you away from that thread.) Please check it out.
http://able2know.org/topic/169563-4#post-4548617

Below viewing threshold (view)
Setanta

Wed 23 Mar, 2011 03:26 am
I looked in on that, and the troll's response--a typical one--suggests that he won't show up here. After all, he wants it to be all about him, and this thread is about an idea, not a member.

Of course, if goofballs like you keep making it about him, rather than the idea, it will feed him.
firefly

Wed 23 Mar, 2011 03:39 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Of course, if goofballs like you keep making it about him, rather than the idea, it will feed him.

No, you made it specifically about him. You gave a fairly good description of him. This thread wasn't about an idea--it was about one specific troll.

The question you asked in your opening post was why people continued to feed this particular troll.

I didn't make it about him--I just told you why I responded to him--I addressed the question you asked.

Don't shift the buck to me.
Setanta

Wed 23 Mar, 2011 03:51 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
No, you made it specifically about him. You gave a fairly good description of him. This thread wasn't about an idea--it was about one specific troll.

So, you didn't actually read the entire thread, huh? In response to Punkey, i wrote:

Setanta wrote:
No, i'm not going to name any names. If there is someone you have in mind, and it doesn't happen to be the one whom i have in mind, it doesn't matter, because the question is still why would you fee the troll.

Quote:
The question you asked in your opening post was why people continued to feed this particular troll.

I didn't make it about him--I just told you why I responded to him--I addressed the question you asked.

Don't shift the buck to me.

Given that you didn't bother to read the entire thread, and therefore missed my statement that it can be about any troll, the buck's arlready in your wallet.