Water Neutralizing

LeeB

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:54 pm
We just had a set of water tests done and, as a result, we're going to have hardness addressed as well as iron content.

The only question I have is around pH. Our pH is 6.74 and our water folks are recommending water neutralization (stating the normal range is 7.0 - 8.5). Everything I can find online - with the exception of websites that sell water treatment products - says 6.5 is okay, and some say even 6.0. Thus, it sounds like 6.74 is fine from a potability perspective. However, I don't know if this pH is low enough to indicate I'm putting the house's pipes at risk. I certainly don't want to be penny-wise and pound-foolish here (the house is 23 years old), but also don't want to spend a lot of money on something that's not needed.

Any water experts out there have any insight?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 887 • Replies: 1
No top replies

rmh2o

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 11:52 am
@LeeB,
In water treatment it is preferred to have water at a PH 7.0 or above for iron removal and other water treatment processes. With no iron in water, 6.74 PH should be no problem but it is considered to be more aggressive as it is slightly acidic. Neutralizing this water will be would be more beneficial for your household appliances. This can be achieved with a calcite system before softener to raise the PH.
I hope this helps,
RJ
0 Replies