What are the best books out there for drawing, writing and creating comic books?

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 04:23 pm
Besides Draw Fight Scenes Like a Pro:
http://www.amazon.ca/Draw-Fight-Scenes-Like-Pro/dp/0823013723

What are the best books out there for drawing, writing and creating comic books?

I want to create cartoony action books. Please help me out.

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 01:35 pm
I have read the book Understanding Comics which gives a general overlay of how comics are made and what goes into the comics process.

I have seen the book Drawing Comics The Marvel Way which is okay from an artisitc standpoint.

I have read The DC Comics Guide To Writing Comics, that was pretty good.

What other books would you people suggest?

Are any of the books not already mentioned listed here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=writing+for+dc+comics&hl=en&tbs=shop%3A1&aq=f#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=active&tbs=shop:1&q=writing+comics&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.&fp=776639b973fad1f6

worth checking out?
Aldistar

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 11:51 pm
@JGoldman10,
I would also take a look at Dynamic Figure Drawing and Dynamic Wrinkles both by Burne Hogarth.

Anything on perspective will also help.

The Business of Comics by Lurene Haines is a very good resource.

Graphic Artists Guild puts out Hand Book of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines which is also eductional.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 12:10 am
@Aldistar,
Thank you for responding.

How to Draw Comic Book Heroes and Villains I've seen is a good source, and I've heard those How-To books by Wizard Magazine are okay.

What other art books would you suggest?
Aldistar

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 11:09 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quite honestly where learned how to draw comics was from the comics themselves. I have a huge number of X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Wolverine, and Generation X comic books that I regularly flip through.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 04:44 am
@Aldistar,
No DC stuff?
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 06:58 am
@Aldistar,
Did you ever learn to draw the cartoony stuff from drawing from the cartoony books?
Green Witch

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 07:35 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Mediocre artists copy, great artists steal - P. Picasso
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 11:13 pm
@JGoldman10,
I am a DC fan as well. Love the Justice League, Batman and Superman and quite a bit of the less mainstream stuff from both Marvel and DC. I just never really followed the stories close enough from DC to collect them month to month. I do have several graphic novels from DC.

I have missed the last decade of the Marvel stuff too. Ironically I stopped collecting comics when I started comic book art school. I just couldn't afford them anymore. When I started to make enough money to start collecting again I was so far behind I just didn't have the energy to go hunting down all of the back issues.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 11:15 pm
@JGoldman10,
I never really read any 'cartoony' stuff. I love Calvin and Hobbes and have many ongoing favorites in the sunday comics. I actually never really attempted to draw cartoon style until art school when we had a required course of Caricature and Cartoon.
0 Replies