what is with the friends bar on your profile?

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 01:39 am
So, for the past few months its been freaking me out a bit.
whenever I go on my profile the person I like is in my friends list, I look at their profile a fair bit.
but whenever I refresh the page, the same few people keep appearing on my page but in random selection.
the person I like and I barely ever interact, and I do not show on their page with their friends list.
So I don't understand whats going on.
a few days a go we weren't talking (not that we talk on fb anyway) but they did not appear on my friends list for the last few days.
then last night we were talking (not on facebook) and I went to work this morning, only to come home and see that they are on the list AGAIN.
What is the friends list based on?
It's actually freaking me out a bit.
I don't base my life on it, its just something I keep noticing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 39,245 • Replies: 12
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 06:04 am
@proofperch,
We don't run Facebook.
dadpad

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 06:07 am
@proofperch,
Look up Jungs theory of syncronicity
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 06:19 am
@jespah,
i've run from facebook
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 07:15 am
I don't totally understand the friends display on facebook, but here is what I think is taking place:
friends are displayed according to which ones you are most often contacting. The rest are hidden. At the top of the list is a button to hit which causes all your friends names to show at once.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 11:30 am
@edgarblythe,
If it is anything like how Google's Orkut does it, they display the friends list in the order of most recent to least recent login.

It could be a combination of those you most frequently interact with, sorted by last login date/time.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 12:19 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i've run from facebook

Like death, you can NEVER run away from Facebook. Both are inevitable. More so then taxes, now that the Tea Party has power in the US Congress. Surprised
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 12:26 pm
Go to the bottom of your fb page, you will see "edit options" click on it and you will see a drop down menu, Show posts from: choose the All of your friends and pages option. FB changed their settings again, with out informing the masses.
This will show you all your friends messages, not just the people you connect with the most.
0 Replies

dancerdoll

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 07:16 pm
@proofperch,
i think they can block you ..they probably did and then unblocked you when you talked to them..could that be it?
0 Replies

proofperch

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 12:28 am
@proofperch,
This is on my actual profile page.
not on my news feed or anywhere else.
Its on my profile page where on the left side there is a bar of 10 friends, in which face book claims is randomly selected. (they have not deleted me from facebook, I just want to get that clear as this 'grouping' only appears on the friends list on my Profile page)
I do not speak to this person on FB at all.
as I stated in the first post, they keep appearing.
a few days before they were annoyed at me and for some reason did not appear on my friends list (as they always seem to lately)
even today I noticed the person was at school all day and had not been on fb, and they did not appear on my list of friends that have been randomly selected to show up on my profile page.
I've noticed that whenever they have been on FB for more than a few moments during any time of any day, they appear on this friends list of mine on my profile page.
for some reason I'm beginning to think its showing the people who keep viewing my page Neutral
mistermayort

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 01:41 am
@proofperch,
It IS the people MOST viewing your page.....Because I NEVER talk to some of the people on the Friend Bar....So I think it's the people who've clicked your page many times in a day...Mine changes everyday but some people STAY the same (Ex Girlfriend).....Kind of a clear giveaway
0 Replies

joel amos

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 06:45 pm
After some research, I've developed the most logical conclusion so far.

The algorithm used by Facebook to determine the 10 friends displayed on one's profile consists of all components of "Friendship" and one's different circles (i.e. School, Band, work). Here's how it works. It picks the top friend from each circle. These top friends are determined by things like wall posts, comments, mutual friends, and more (doubtfully page views). If less than 10 circles exist (including friends not in a circle), the top few friends from the most populated groups will appear. If one has more than 10 circles the top friends that are deemed "less important" will not find a place on one's profile. If one is separately displaying a circle (such as Family) below the top 10 friends, the top friend from that specific circle will not appear with the rest of the top friends.

You may still be wondering about the "random" friends that appear. My deduction (based off of research) is that they are the top friends in the "Friends Not on a List" circle. Most likely, they'll have the most mutual friends out of your other un-circled friends.

Hope this helped!
brwntwn

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 12:08 pm
@joel amos,
This is certainly almost untrue and i base this on the circle of friends whos page i tend to appear on and them mines. Often there are other people in this group of friends who interact more on fb yet would fall within the same category yet they seldom appear in my friends list but perhaps they dont spend as much time on fb. This would suggest that there is another factor such as most frequently interacting with people in general (or time spent on fb). This would encourage people to spend more time on fb by interacting more with people who are frequently on fb. Two "randoms" who may have liked the odd post of mines etc but that i have only spoken to once at most on fb chat have been on my page for the last 3 weeks yet i know neither of one's circle of friends and a handful of the others so it is a surprise to see them on my page so consistently.
0 Replies