Inside the multimillion-dollar essay-scoring business

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 01:06 pm
http://www.citypages.com/2011-02-23/news/inside-the-multimillion-dollar-essay-scoring-business/

This is a really interesting article. When you consider all the things that test scores impact it's scary to think who is grading these tests and how the numbers are fudged.

I would love to hear what you all think of this -- especially those of you who defend standardized testing.

Here's a few excerpts:

Quote:
Now scorers from local companies are drawing back the curtain on the clandestine business of grading student essays, a process they say goes too fast; relies on cheap, inexperienced labor; and does not accurately assess student learning......

Suddenly, she was being asked to crank through 200 real essays in a day. The scanned papers popped up on the screen and her eyes flitted as fast as they could down the lines. The difference between "excellent" and "good" and "adequate" was decided in a matter of seconds, to say nothing of the responses that were simply off the reservation. How do you score a kid who rails that his town sucks? What about an exceptionally well-written essay on why the student was refusing to answer the question?....

There were the students who wrote extremely well but whose responses were too short—in his mind he saw them, bored with the essay topic, hurrying to finish. Or the essays where the handwriting got rushed and jumbled at the end, then cut off abruptly—he imagined the proctor telling the frantic student to lay down his pencil on a well-written but incomplete response......

Farley now understood the reasons why, when he'd been a scorer, his team leaders would tell the room he wanted to start seeing more 3s or 4s or whatever. Supervisors were expected to turn the test scores into a nice bell curve. If his room did not agree at least 80 percent of the time, the tests would be taken back and re-graded, wasting time and money. The supervisor would be put on probation or demoted.....

The scorers would not be going back to re-grade the hundreds of tests they'd already finished—there just wasn't time. Instead, they were just going to give out more 3s.....

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,829 • Replies: 6
No top replies

engineer

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 02:05 pm
@boomerang,
I've always thought essays have no place on a standardized exam exactly because of the difficulty of grading them consistently. Of course writing well has merit but standardized testing relies upon impartiality and consistency. I never minded doing them for college applications, but in that situation, I could research, write and rewrite until I felt the final product represented me. You can't do that nearly as well on a timed test.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 02:07 pm
@boomerang,
the multi-million dollar essay-scoring business is a nice match for the multi-million dollar essay-preparation business
boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 03:47 pm
@engineer,
I agree.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2011 03:48 pm
@ehBeth,
I guess it's at least creating jobs....
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 10:56 pm
Thought you might interested in this Boomer.

In just 30 years, Finland transformed its school system from one that was mediocre and inequitable, to one that consistently produces some of the world's best students, while virtually eliminating an achievement gap. And they do it without standardized testing.. Dan Rather Reports airs Tuesdays at 8pm ET on HDNet.
boomerang

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 11:31 am
@Ceili,
Thanks Ceili!

I've read a lot about the schools in Finland. They're pretty amazing. I love their laid back approach. It seems like they really trust kids to rely on their natural curiosity about the world to learn things.
0 Replies