Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 10:51 am
I know this is really a long shot but does anyone recognize the person or story being relayed in this documentary about psychopaths?

It's the guy right at the first bit of the film.

If they mentioned his name in the show I missed it -- and I listened hard. I tried Googling around some of the information given but never could find out who he is.

Thanks for any help!

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 11:14 am
This film is 10 minutes long.

Are you taling about the intro feature ( the guy who murdered his brother) or later on. Put down the time he is featured.
boomerang

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 11:19 am
@PUNKEY,
The film is like an hour long and this guy appears all through it but he is the guy at the first bit - the one who killed his brother.
sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 11:23 am
@boomerang,
The movie is "Mind of a Murderer" and I found the transcript but haven't yet found the guy's name. (Why yes, I am a googling goddess.)

http://www.hare.org/links/equinox.html
sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 11:26 am
@sozobe,
Hmm, I'd be goddessier if I found the name. It seems possible that since he did it when he was a kid, they don't give his name? I'm looking for more info re: the crime but haven't found anything yet.

Edit: the bottom of the transcript says "The Equinox program in which Dr. Hare appeared was first shown on Channel 4 Television in 2000: www.channel4.com. Reproduced with permission."

I looked at the channel4 site but haven't found anything.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 11:31 am
Thanks soz!

If I recall that wasn't the crime he is in prison for. I think he went to prison for sexual assault but they didn't give any details.
sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 11:36 am
@boomerang,
Yeah, I think the murder of his brother was just the beginning.

I think I hit a dead end. As far as I can tell there were two versions of this documentary, one in 2000 and then another with some updates in 2009. "Equinox" seems to be the program and the title is either "Psychopath" or "Mind of a Murderer" or "Psychopath: Mind of a Murderer." However I can't find the guy's name anywhere.
boomerang

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 11:42 am
@sozobe,
Oh! I found this in the transcript:

Quote:
Prisoner: I'm here serving a 5-20-year sentence for sexual molestation of four boys of the ages of four to 12.

Narrator: Wayne has been here for more than 10 years and perhaps has 10 more to do. He scored 40 on the psychopathy checklist. It's the maximum possible and extremely rare. The authorities here believe that time and money spent trying to reform psychopaths like Wayne is a worthwhile investment.

It matches up with the right guy -- at the .52 mark on the second block of the movie.

So his name is Wayne something.
sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 11:47 am
@boomerang,
I was just coming back to ask! I had just read this:

Quote:
Wayne: My idol was John Lennon and of course on the other side of the tracks we have Willie Nelson. He represents freedom in different ways: love, peace, harmony, togetherness, connection, with the polar bears and freedom in general.

He certainly looked like someone who admired John Lennon in the clip at the very beginning that I saw.
chai2

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 11:59 am
@sozobe,
I don't have time to watch the video right now, but I do want to make a comment.

What IS it with serial killers, psychopaths, and the name Wayne?

wayne

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 12:18 pm
@chai2,
I don't like this, not one bit.
How do I change my screen name, how about the poster formerly known as Wayne.
Or you can call me dude.

Oh dear, this is bad bad bad.
chai2

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 12:44 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

I don't like this, not one bit.
How do I change my screen name, how about the poster formerly known as Wayne.
Or you can call me dude.

Oh dear, this is bad bad bad.

Laughing

Seriously though Wayne, haven't you noticed how many times Wayne is either the first or middle names of these people?

chai2

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 12:47 pm
@chai2,
Here we go....Wayne
And this is from a Dallas news storey published back in Sept 2006. So all these waynes were from feb 06 to sept 06.

The next time your daughter brings home a new boyfriend, be sure to ask his middle name
By STEVEN D. LEVITT
I get a lot of interesting letters in the mail. (To those of you who send me things, I apologize that I so rarely respond. If you want to hear from me, your odds are better — but still not great — on email.)

I got a package recently, however, that really stood out. It came from Ms. M.R. Stewart, who is a proud mother, as well as being grandmother to four pit bulls.

Ms. Stewart has an unusual hobby: clipping newspaper articles of a particular ilk. She sent me xeroxs of her most recent finds. All of these clippings were from The Dallas News, from February 2006 to the present. The articles had two things in common: (1) all of them were stories reporting on crimes, and (2) the perpetrator’s middle name was “Wayne.”

I have to say I was stunned by the number of examples she sent me:

Eric Wayne Kelley — sex charges
Nathan Wayne Green — kidnapping and beating, homicide
Ronald Wayne Spencer, Jr. — triple homicide
David Wayne Rhodes — 10 years for practicing nursing without a license
Larry Wayne King — homicide
Paul Wayne Mitchell — Theft
Michael Wayne Hills — theft
Jeremy Wayne Hopkins — homicide
Garry Wayne Carriker — knowingly having unprotected sex when HIV positive
Bruce Wayne Potts — homicide
Joshua Wayne Jones — assault of officer
Billy Wayne Sinclair — homicide
Billy Wayne Boyer — assault
Billy Wayne Miller — attempted murder and robbery
Kenneth Wayne Downs — sex assault
Jerry Wayne Lucas — attempted homicide
Tony Wayne Swinnie — aggravated assault of grandmother in front of her grandchildren, robbery
Larry Wayne Dacy — home invasion
Richard Wayne Miles — police standoff
Charles Wayne Thomas — homicide

Maybe you could assemble a list this impressive for some other middle name, but I doubt it. Of course, these folks are following the path set for them by the notorious Chicago serial killer John Wayne Gacy, Jr.

(She also collects clippings with middle names that rhyme with Wayne…she sent me 4 DeWaynes, 4 Duanes, and 2 Dwaynes.)

After going through the package, I pulled my two oldest daughters aside (they are six) and told them they were not allowed to ever have a boyfriend with the middle name “Wayne.” Olivia, who is obsessed with a boy named Thomas in her class, is going to check on his middle name tomorrow.
boomerang

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 01:00 pm
The "Wayne" thing is a little creepy.

I wonder if any of those Waynes could be the one in the movie.....
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 01:09 pm
@chai2,
Well the good news is, it's not my middle name.
The bad news, my last name is in there too.
Oh dear Oh my, my left eye is starting to twitch.
What are the symptoms of the onset of psychopathia?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 01:10 pm
All I can find out is his name is Wayne and he is at the Vermont State Penitentiary.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 01:25 pm
@boomerang,
My brother Sam's true middle name was Wayne. He was a great guy. Go, Waynes. Be troubled no more.
chai2

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 01:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
My husband's oldest brother was named Wayne, and it is told he was a great guy also.

But, even a broken watch tells the correct time twice a day.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 02:04 pm
A popular "The Far Side" cartoon.

http://www.waynedias.com/wayne_farside.gif
DrewDad

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 02:10 pm
I could just be that "Wayne" is a very popular name.....