Rainsoft Q2 - Not Using Salt Question

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:00 pm
I have a Rainsoft Q2 system (Mod:AO24CT). I recently (6 mo. ago) replaced the valve o-rings, shut off tabs and shear pin after the valve siezed. It appeared to be working properly until about 3 weeks ago. I have noticed that it is not using any salt now. The unit goes through all of the cycles (and I have manually checked that each cycle starts and stops) but does not use any salt. There is about 12" of water in the brine tank. Also, I noticed ball inside the tri-guard doesn't seem to move around like it used to during regeneration. It stays at the top of the cannister. I would appreciate any assistance. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,537 • Replies: 15
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 06:37 am
@dtaylor81,
Did you replace the brine injector or the two little O rings on the injector?
dtaylor81

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 01:38 am
@H2O MAN,
Yes sir, I replaced the o-rings on the brine injector when I repaired the stuck piston.
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 01:57 pm
@dtaylor81,
Check to see if the base of the tri-guard is cracked, check to see if the two brine likes are properly seated and finger tight on the tri-guard.
Are you sure the poppet and brine line o-ring are are were they should be?
dtaylor81

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 04:52 pm
@H2O MAN,
Does not appear to be cracked anywhere. Lines look OK and are tight. Poppet looks like it is centered and against the o-ring at the top of the tri-guard. I can send you pictures if you like.
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 08:02 am
@dtaylor81,
dtaylor81 wrote:

I can send you pictures if you like.

It couldn't hurt.
dtaylor81

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 09:08 am
@H2O MAN,
Pictures sent to your .gmail account. Thanks!
dtaylor81

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 07:55 pm
@dtaylor81,
I removed the salt from the brine tank, cleaned the tank and the slotted tube. Removed the tri-guard and rinsed it out. Cleaned the poppit and replaced the o-ring. Replaced the brine injector and o-rings. Anything else you can think of I should do before starting it up again?
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 06:53 am
@dtaylor81,
Start it up and see if there is there any water moving in or out of the tri-guard.
dtaylor81

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 03:10 pm
@H2O MAN,
I tightened the tri-guard too tight and cracked it (STUPID - tighten slooooow and when it begins to get tight, turn only enough further to align the brine refill nuts). Purchased a used tri-guard, a new brine injecter w/ o-rings, a new poppet assembly and o-rings for the piston. I figured I might as well replace the piston o-rings while I had it apart. I found the bottom piston o-ring was pinched outside its groove on the piston (I assume this was part of my problem and an indication I will need to replace the valve body or whole head unit in the near future). It's back together now - no leaks. I ran it through all valve positions in service mode without any issues. The tri-guard did have water running through it during this and appeared to be working properly. I just started the cycle and we will see.........

H2O MAN, I assume you will be able to assist me in replacing my Q2 valve with a Fleck 2510SE in the future? Thanks!
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 08:04 pm
@dtaylor81,
dtaylor81 wrote:

I tightened the tri-guard too tight and cracked it (STUPID - tighten slooooow and when it begins to get tight, turn only enough further to align the brine refill nuts). Purchased a used tri-guard, a new brine injecter w/ o-rings, a new poppet assembly and o-rings for the piston. I figured I might as well replace the piston o-rings while I had it apart. I found the bottom piston o-ring was pinched outside its groove on the piston (I assume this was part of my problem and an indication I will need to replace the valve body or whole head unit in the near future). It's back together now - no leaks. I ran it through all valve positions in service mode without any issues. The tri-guard did have water running through it during this and appeared to be working properly. I just started the cycle and we will see.........

H2O MAN, I assume you will be able to assist me in replacing my Q2 valve with a Fleck 2510SE in the future? Thanks!

I have cracked a few tri-guards, it happens.

I can assist you with a future upgrade, let me know how it works out.
dtaylor81

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2011 01:40 pm
@H2O MAN,
Soft water is great. It works now!
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 05:39 am
@dtaylor81,
dtaylor81 wrote:

Soft water is great. It works now!

Awesome!
XRT930

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 03:31 pm
@dtaylor81,
dtaylor81:
How did you put the control in service mode? Also, how did you remove the brine injector? Does is pull out or twist out? I tried tugging on it a little bit with needle nose pliers, but it did not budge. Thanks.
0 Replies

tjw1978

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 12:29 pm
@H2O MAN,
How do you get a rainsoft q2 into service mode? I just want to check all the steps, and waiting 2 hours for the brine cycle everytime is very time consuming. My email is [email protected]. thanks
Jasons

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 05:07 pm
@tjw1978,
I am curious whether there is a service mode or test mode on these Q2 units to run a cycle through on a much shorter time table than waiting for the whole normal cycle to run.

I am trying to troubleshoot a tri-guard that fills and never empties. Have replaced o-rings on the piston already.

Thanks!

Jason
0 Replies