Are there any African-American members here?

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 06:53 pm
Hi-I have some art-related things I want to talk about-I want to know if there are other black members here besides me. Please respond. Thank you.

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 07:00 pm
@JGoldman10,
Yes, there are other African-American people here besides you.

Why not just ask your questions rather than doing the prequalifying filter?

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 07:01 pm
@Butrflynet,
Because it's about BLACK PEOPLE that's why.
djjd62

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 07:13 pm
@JGoldman10,
well i was a poor, black sharecropper's son who never dreamed i was adopted
http://creativegreenius.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/jerk_l.jpg
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 07:24 pm
@JGoldman10,
So, you need people to identify themselves as being Black before you'll ask the question?

Tell me, how will you know that they are Black? What technology will you be using to determine if an anonymous person posting on a message board on the internet claiming to be Black is indeed so?

How will you know that it isn't really a Native American, Mexican, German, or Russian pretending to be Black so you'll think they are qualified to answer your question?
djjd62

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 07:27 pm
@Butrflynet,
wait, are you implying that perhaps some folks on the internet might not be representing themselves as they really are

i'm shocked
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 07:30 pm
@djjd62,
Indeed. I really am a fluffy white dog who likes to dance on my hind legs for attention. But, if it means I can participate in J's discussion, I'll go ahead and tell him that I'm a fluffy black dog.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 07:34 pm
@JGoldman10,
J, I understand wanting to get some feedback from people you consider to be your peers. Doing so by requesting a prequalifying admission of demographic compliance before even asking the question is off-putting.

Why not just say, "hey, I'm curious. I've had this experience (and describe it) and wonder if anyone else has the same reaction I did (describe your reaction) and what it meant to you?
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:15 pm
@Butrflynet,
I want to ask questions about the depiction of blacks in comics.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:16 pm
@JGoldman10,
That's a reasonable question, why don't you just ask it?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:19 pm
@JGoldman10,
Aren't they always portrayed as pirates?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_z8Z5TuPisrg/SAVxeLRLKkI/AAAAAAAAAh8/PXcfk1W3qrg/s400/Pirates.jpg
MonaLeeza

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 08:57 pm
@JGoldman10,
Your posts are getting more and more entertaining. Well done.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 09:06 pm
@JGoldman10,
Have you ever truly seen a black person? I haven't.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 09:19 pm
@Ceili,
I've seen some black Africans who were so dark they were purple.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 09:25 pm
@JGoldman10,
Some of my best friends are purple.

As I listen, jgoldman, you are apprehending the world from your desk.
I understand that.

Please, when people try to clue you in, listen a bit.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 09:28 pm
@JGoldman10,
There is a PBS show currently being aired that I highly recommend to you, J. Here's a link to the first episode. This alone, would be very worth the time you invest in watching it.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/facesofamerica/video/episode-1-our-american-stories/190/

I urge you to watch every episode.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 09:32 pm
@Butrflynet,
Is this the show in which they showed that African-Americans can trace their ancestry back to Africa with DNA tests? I've seen that.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 09:34 pm
@JGoldman10,
No. It is the next in the series. Here's the list of people Gates does the family tree thing with this time:

Quote:
About the Program
What made America? What makes us? These two questions are at the heart of the new PBS series Faces of America with Henry Louis Gates, Jr. The Harvard scholar turns to the latest tools of genealogy and genetics to explore the family histories of 12 renowned Americans — professor and poet Elizabeth Alexander, chef Mario Batali, comedian Stephen Colbert, novelist Louise Erdrich, journalist Malcolm Gladwell, actress Eva Longoria, musician Yo-Yo Ma, director Mike Nichols, Her Majesty Queen Noor, television host/heart surgeon Dr. Mehmet Oz, actress Meryl Streep, and figure skater Kristi Yamaguchi.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 09:44 pm
@Butrflynet,
I just checked. All four episodes are available at that link to watch online.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 09:55 pm
@Butrflynet,
I meant is this the series that covered black geneology? But you answered that already.