Is AUM (OM) enough for the Meditation

Sanki

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 04:59 pm
I think it is not because the term AUM (OM) referred as different meaning in the HINDU dharma.

if we see that the term AUM is preferred worldwide in meditation aspect .But the term AUM has a different etymology in the HINDU dharma.

AUM known as the most sacred symbol in Hindu dharma. Aum (OM) is the sound of the infinite.

Aum is said to be the essence of all mantras, the highest of all matras or divine word (shabda), brahman (ultimate reality) itself. Aum is said to be the essence of the Vedas.

By sound and form, AUM symbolizes the infinite Brahman (ultimate reality) and the entire universe.

A stands for Creation

U stands for Preservation

M stands for Destruction or dissolution

This is representative of the Trinity of God in Hindu dharma (Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva)

The three portions of AUM relate to the states of waking, dream and deep sleep and the three gunas (rajas, satva, tamas)

The three letters also indicates three planes of existence, heaven (swarga), earth (martya) and netherworld (patala)

All the words produced by the human vocal organ can be represented by AUM. A is produced by the throat, U & M by the lips

In the Vedas, AUM is the sound of the Sun, the sound of Light. It is the sound of assent (affirmation) and ascent (it has an upwards movement and uplifts the soul, as the sound of the divine eagle or falcon.

I want to know what reason behind the term AUM preferred worldwide for MEDITATION aspect whereas AUM is originated from the HINDU dharma.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,836 • Replies: 1
No top replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 11:12 pm
@Sanki,
I suspect that OM means nothing, absolutely nothing, just like ultimate reality or total cosmos means nothing and that is its ultimate character. When I sit in my daily meditation I simply realize, without effort, my ultimate nothingness. I (and you) am beyond truth and falsehood and beyond goodness and evil. I am, like God and Popeye beyond all meaning. I simply am what/that I am, and that is nothing, neither this nor that--neti, neti.
0 Replies