Explain: use of words LIKE n LOVE

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 12:00 pm

I had always deemed it to be the case
that liking something or someone was a pale n feeble version of LOVING;
i.e. that liking and loving were on the same continuum,
with loving being further along toward 1OO%

or

rendered another way:
that LOVING something or someone was an INTENSE version of liking that thing or person.

However, last nite, on TV 's HOUSE a mother
tells one of her children:
I love u both,
but your sister is nicer to me, so I LIKE her better than u.

This appears to be inconsistent with the single continuum concept.

WHATAYATHINK ?????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,356 • Replies: 6
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 03:04 pm

Is LOVING an intense form of LIKING ???
0 Replies

MonaLeeza

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 04:26 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I think its a continuum if you're talking about macadamia nuts or rum and raisin ice cream. But when you're talking about people I think 'love' is an emotion but 'like' is more an intellectual thing. I have family (and family friends) that I love just because we're family and we grew up together but I don't necessarily like everything about them and their values and how they live their lives. I certainly wouldn't want to spend every day with them. On the other hand there are people that I like and respect enormously for different reasons but I don't have an emotional relationship with them that I could call love.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 04:42 pm
@MonaLeeza,
MonaLeeza wrote:
I think its a continuum if you're talking about macadamia nuts or rum and raisin ice cream. But when you're talking about people I think 'love' is an emotion but 'like' is more an intellectual thing. I have family (and family friends) that I love just because we're family and we grew up together but I don't necessarily like everything about them and their values and how they live their lives. I certainly wouldn't want to spend every day with them. On the other hand there are people that I like and respect enormously for different reasons but I don't have an emotional relationship with them that I could call love.
Thank u, Mona.

I can conceive of liking a girl more and more each day
until its intensity has become LOVE.

Will u agree that that is a proper use of the English language (as to those 2 words) ?

David
MonaLeeza

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 05:00 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Definitely. I shouldn't have implied that there is only one way the words can be used - just that I understand the example from House.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 05:51 pm
@MonaLeeza,
I still don 't feel that I have a full grasp
of that dialog in the HOUSE show.
engineer

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 10:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Love has several meanings. It can mean romantic love, familial love or just strong friendship. You are putting like and romantic/friendship love on a spectrum and that's fine, but from the snippet you posted, I take it that the love used was more the familial love. You can have familial love without romantic love just as you can have family you care for that you would likely never associate with if you weren't related.

Here is a religious take on it if you are interested.
0 Replies