NFL Ruling

fishin

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 11:12 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
It is just about certain that the goal line extends out along the plane of the goal line out-of-bounds.

Shocked It is??? Other than your statements here in this thread I haven't seen anything that supports this.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 11:35 am
(I meant field goal, not punt. Oops.)

Yeah, I'm not convinced on the goal line extending out along the plane of the goal line out-of-bounds thing. I'm willing to be, but am not there yet.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 12:01 pm
Wow, look what I just found!

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2001/2001_football_rules.pdf

Here is some stuff I've been able to glean from this book WHICH CANNOT BE CUT AND PASTED BECAUSE OF ITS FORMAT SO I HAD TO WRITE ALL OF THIS STUFF!!!

Rule 2, Section 11, article 1 - reads:

Each goal line is part of a vertical plane separating an end zone from the field of play when a ball is touched or in a player's possession. The plane extends beyond the sidelines. (Exception: Rule 4-2-4-e)

Rule 4, Section 2, article 4-b reads:

A touchdown may be scored if the ball is inbounds and has broken the plane of the goal line before or simultaneous to the runner going out of bounds.

Rule 4, Section 2, article 1-a reads:

A player or an airborne player is out of bounds when any part of his person touches anything other than another player or game official, on or outside a boundary line.

Rule 4, Section 2, article 2 reads:

A ball in the possession of a runner is out of bounds when either the ball or any part of the runner touches the ground or anything else on or outside a boundary line other than another player or a game official.

So it appears from the above that…

…a ball in possession of a runner who is airborne is not out of bounds while the runner and the ball are still in the air - no matter if the ball and the person are in the air outside of the sideline. They, both the runner and the ball, have to touch something outside the boundary before being out of bounds.

And the goal line does extend past the sideline.

Which means that a runner still in the air but outside of the sidelines CAN score a touchdown if the ball breaks the plane of the goal line before the ball or the ball carrier touch anything outside of the sideline.

Or at least, that is how it reads to me.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 12:35 pm
That appears to be a valid interpretation of the NCAA rules Frank. I don't know that it carries over to the NFL still but...
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 01:58 pm
Actually, we call soccer exactly that. It's the POMS who call it football.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 02:50 pm
Wilso wrote:
Actually, we call soccer exactly that. It's the POMS who call it football.

Whoa! Now that I didn't know. Good for you guys.

BTW --what is a POMS?
0 Replies

SolarJumper

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 08:27 pm
Jerry Markbreit's response in Chicago Tribune
I know this is an old post but I am brand new to able2know. This question led me to this post based on a bet (which I think I lost). After reading this a couple times I believe I am still only 95% clear. Read for yourself and decide. Based on the man's question, I wish Markbreit would EXPRESSLY say that no, it is NOT a touchdown if a runner leaps out of bounds at the one yard line and passes the extended goal line (BOTH body and ball OUTSIDE of the pylon) and lands past the goal line out of bounds. This seems to be the question but it hasn't been answered 100% in my opinion.

Quote:
from ChicagoSports.com (Chicago Tribune Online)
Dear Jerry, I have an incredibly confusing NFL rules question that I earnestly ask you to answer for me. It concerns the "infinite goal line." In the Eagles/Dolphins game, Correll Buckhalter scored a 2-yard TD in the 4th quarter that was challenged by Miami. The play featured Buckhalter leaving his feet at the 1-yard line, diving clear into the air, and landing out of bounds. Apparently the ball crossed the goal line even though Buckhalter landed out of bounds. While I understand that to be a touchdown, John Madden said, "it doesn't matter if the ball crossed the goal line inside the pylon because the goal line extends out beyond the pylons." Al Michaels said the NFL rules committee refers to the goal line "extending around the world," even though pylons are present. Can someone PLEASE explain to me if the goal line does in fact extend into infinity, AND more importantly, please explain why it does? If so, can you score a touchdown by leaping out of bounds at the 1-yard line, cross the "infinite" goal line, and then land totally out of bounds without having to extend the ball inside the pylon? --Brian Mariani, Clinton, Mass.

John Madden was correct when he stated that the ball does not have to cross the goal line inside or over the pylon for a touchdown to be scored. To put it very simply: Whenever the ball carrier dives for the end zone and any part of his body passes over the pylon before he touches anything out-of-bounds, it is a touchdown, regardless of where the ball is. If the runner goes out-of-bounds short of the pylon and the ball passes over the pylon before the runner lands out-of-bounds, it is also a touchdown. The goal line plane actually extends beyond the sideline and theoretically "extends around the world." In my opinion, this rule exists to make the game more exciting and more interesting in goal line situations. -- Jerry Markbreit - NFL Referee
0 Replies

consolidatedbuilders

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 07:14 pm
The correct interpretation of the rule...
1)player in air going toward goal line plane..
2)player has any body part touch the pylon on the feild side of the pylon while in air...even if ball is in other hand...
SEEN IT MYSELF.... not heresay...
Frank Gifford announcing either Sunday or Monday noght football...
I am positive of this for I witnessed it myself... although the curre4nt rules may have changed
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 07:22 pm
@consolidatedbuilders,
Actually...this particular rule was changed this year.

The red pylons now form the outside boundries of the goal line.
0 Replies

Mark The Homer

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:26 am
You have a link or some kind of documentation to back that up? Thanks
Mark The Homer

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:03 am
@Mark The Homer,
Nevermind. You are correct.

The plane extends along the goal line and ends at the pylon but includes the pylon. In previous years, the plane extended out of bounds indefinitely, but this was changed in 2007. Regarding scoring touchdowns: If the ball is in possession, and the ball breaks the plane or even touches the plane, it is a touchdown. This is because the goal line, and the plane, is considered "in the endzone." Regarding the pylons, a player with possession of the ball must get any part of the football to pass inside or over the goal line pylon before he touches out of bounds to be awarded a score. Source: http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story?id=09000d5d801e3eb1&template=without-video&confirm=true
0 Replies

punkbusterdani

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 04:08 am
hello. I need to find out about the timer's behavior; when exactly does it stop? In what cases does the quarter length's timer still count down after a play? How can a team "buy time"/"run out the clock"?
Or at least, where can I find this information?
Thank you. Smile
0 Replies