Putnam's use of the term 'trans-theoretic'

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 03:15 pm
In Mind, Language, and Reality he uses this term and it's fairly integral to his argument about reference. I found no definition.
If anyone knows a definition of the term I'd appreciate it, I believe it is a scientific term or one used in the scientific academia realm.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,989 • Replies: 4
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 07:20 pm
@Nameless 23232,
Ive only heard the term used once in my memory and that was in a medical science sense used in a lecture on Lyme Disease. I have no recollection of what the speaker was referring to. Iusually scroll by those Neo phrases until they are used in my field. SO far no hear
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 03:50 am
@Nameless 23232,
I understand trans-theoretic to be adjective applied to words like "truth" which some might claim to be independent of the theoretical context in which they are used. E.g. some might claim that "truth is trans-theoretic" because it refers to a quality independent of "the correspondence theory" or "the coherence theory".

A scientist using the "truth" in a trans-theoretical sense might simply be claiming that a particular theory is useful or elegant and is therefore open to replacement.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 08:10 am
@fresco,
and it is !...whatever relative value you speak of, it is absolutely true in relation to the one in particular it operates with, at a given point in space time...that is, that the function it establishes, its Real in its operativeness !
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 08:56 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
...it all falls upon how much does a question asks for of something...(even if this further something is also a further degree function in another layer of relations)
...meaning operativity its true and real...it always refers !
0 Replies