Consensus is building that the theory of Multi-Culturalism is a Dud

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 03:10 pm
Quote:

David Cameron launches an attack today on 30 years of multiculturalism in Britain

David Cameron launched a devastating attack today on 30 years of multiculturalism in Britain, warning it is fostering extremist ideology and directly contributing to home-grown Islamic terrorism.

Signalling a radical departure from the strategies of previous governments, Mr Cameron said that Britain must adopt a policy of "muscular liberalism" to enforce the values of equality, law and freedom of speech across all parts of society.

He warned Muslim groups that if they fail to endorse women's rights or promote integration, they will lose all government funding. All immigrants to Britain must speak English and schools will be expected to teach the country's common culture.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cameron-my-war-on-multiculturalism-2205074.html

The French and the Germans have come to the same conclusion. This appears to be yet an other recent American export that is doomed to go down in history as a colossally bad idea, much like unregulated global commerce and the preemptive strike (AKA invasion and takeover with out just cause)

And Americans wonder why the rest of the world no longer pays any attention to us... HELLO!

Foofie

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 09:15 pm
I do not think the thought should be about why the "rest of the world does not pay attention to us," since I believe more often than not the "rest of the world" is usually concerned how they can utilize the U.S. for their respective benefit.

And, what makes the U.S. different is that we are "officially" inclusive, and not exclusive as many other countries are officially or by practice. "Multi-culturalism" is just a media term that some like, or dislike. In the nineteenth century there were some that wanted the U.S. to have a culture that was pre-1840 (aka, few Catholics, predominantly WASP's). Well, if one likes white bread for all one's sandwiches, with a good dose of mayonnaise on the bread, then I cannot argue with anyone's preferences.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 09:23 pm
@Foofie,
I don't agree...for a generation America has been prosthelytizing the view that everybody should be allowed to do what they want to do re culture, that there was no need to worry about the strength of the glue that holds society together. In many ways this was the same argument America made when claiming that people and nations should seek max profit and enjoyment and not worry about risk. It was a very childish view, which showed a stunning ignorance for the lessons of history. It has been a complete disaster, as any half wit would have been able to predict.

The rest of the world will think thrice before following Americans anywhere again....
Foofie

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 09:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I don't agree...for a generation America has been prosthelytizing the view that everybody should be allowed to do what they want to do re culture, that there was no need to worry about the strength of the glue that holds society together. In many ways this was the same argument America made when claiming that people and nations should seek max profit and enjoyment and not worry about risk. It was a very childish view, which showed a stunning ignorance for the lessons of history. It has been a complete disaster, as any half wit would have been able to predict.

The rest of the world will think thrice before following Americans anywhere again....

It takes a generation or two oftentimes for immigrant families to acculturate to the U.S. social culture. Look at all the ethnicities that have assimilated in the past.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 10:54 pm

multiculturalism stinks
Ceili

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 11:08 pm
It seems to works here, but then, most of us know that we came from other places and appreciate this great land that welcomed us all.
littlek

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 11:27 pm
We are multicultural. Or am I missing something? What is this glue of which you speak?
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 11:29 pm
This society would be extremely boring without our multi-culturalism.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 11:33 pm

Just go back to the English culture with which we started.

David
Ceili

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 11:47 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Considering that a spaniard `found` N. America, and the french were also founders of said continent, that seems a wee bit ignorant of the facts.
Perhaps the natives would have something to say about English culture too...
Thomas

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 12:10 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

multiculturalism stinks

It smells just fine for me, a cultural German living in America, with its culture quite different from Germany's. (Indeed, America has many cultures different from Germany's, which is another attractive feature of America's .)
Thomas

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 12:12 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Just go back to the English culture with which we started

America didn't start with English culture. It started with multiple Native American cultures, also known as Indian cultures. The English were just one of the first waves of illegal immigrants.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 12:21 am
@Thomas,

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Just go back to the English culture with which we started
Thomas wrote:
America didn't start with English culture. It started with multiple Native American cultures, also known as Indian cultures. The English were just one of the first waves of illegal immigrants.
Evidence has been found
that the Europeans got here b4 the Indians,
those damn Johnny-come-latelys.
Ionus

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 07:43 am
@Ceili,
Quote:
Considering that a spaniard `found` N. America
A viking (probably a Dane) found North America.

The first Americans were Europeans who walked across the frozen Atlantic...some time later they were joined by Asians.

Edit : Just read Dave's post...he is of course, correct.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 08:25 am
@hawkeye10,
And I argue with you. "For a generation" people have proclaimed that the individual can do what he wants with culture. Really???!!! That statement demonstrates a total lack of historical perspective. What is high culture (and I will argue that the American right hates high culture more than anyone else) and folk culture (which actually still exists) and low culture (long the dominant American form) are demarked by fluid boundaries and each has always influenced the other.

Wow! After reacting to your first sentence, I just finished reading the rest of your post. You, of all people, are tarring others with the brush of historical ignorance.

No need for me to give my concrete examples, is there?
plainoldme

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 08:27 am
@littlek,
A friend of mine who was raised without religion took a course on the history of Christianity while in graduate school to help her understand religious references in literature.

She was surprised by the borrowings Christianity made from the known world during its formation. She said, "We have always been multi-cultural."
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 08:31 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Some of the original colonies were English but the French, Spanish, even the Swedes, colonized this continent.

Besides, the "English" culture of the 1600s, that had had something to do with the Puritans and Pilgrims (the founders you would recognize) at least insofar as they spoke English, is not the English culture of today's England.

Wouldst thee return to the English of Shakespeare?
plainoldme

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 08:34 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Stop lying. Europeans -- a people who did not exist when immigrants from the area we have since labeled Asia -- did make pre-Colombian visits to North America but they found those Asian-descended peoples here.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 08:37 am
@Ionus,
David wrote:
Considering that a spaniard `found` N. America
Ionus wrote:
A viking (probably a Dane) found North America.
That appears to be true,
but Columbus found it after him.
I was very taken aback, a few years ago,
when I learned that.

Ionus wrote:
The first Americans were Europeans who walked across the frozen Atlantic
No boats, crossing the liquid Atlantic ???????

Ionus wrote:
...some time later they were joined by Asians.
There went the naborhood.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2011 08:41 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Stop lying. Europeans -- a people who did not exist when immigrants from the area we have since labeled Asia -- did make pre-Colombian visits to North America but they found those Asian-descended peoples here.
European skeletal fossils and artifacts
were found that were some 1000s of years older
than those of the early Indians.