Taoism enlightenment: absolute happiness

FBM

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 06:16 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Thanks FBM. I think I understand you a bit better now.
But I still don't like the inherent bias in assigning them to specific dualisms. Not inherent to yin and yang, but inherent to the assigner. By doing this assigning it seems to me we are "disarming" the transcendence of this greater dynamic of unity.

Agreed. I think this is what the mind does reflexively in order to organize chaotic experience into manageable bits. Useful for survival, but not so much for deep understanding. C'est la vie, eh? But maybe there is a way (Way?) to have your cake and eat it, too? Maybe...
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 11:03 am
@FBM,
Yes, we seem to have an almost incurable urge to close the circle of understanding as quickly as possible. It seems to be beyond most of us to live in the suspense of incomprehension, so we make conclusions to join the ends together, because that gives us a measure of peace. We make little bubbles that burst when the strain of reality becomes too great, and sometimes we go to great lengths to preserve our way of thinking, forgetting, or perhaps never realizing that we are protecting our self-image rather than "truth". Personally I'd rather make my peace with incomprehension.
JLNobody

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 01:26 pm
@Cyracuz,
Very wise.
FBM

Reply Thu 12 May, 2011 06:55 pm
@JLNobody,
Agreed.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 03:54 pm
@FBM,
A parting thought:

Christianity is about the Supernatural
Taoism is about the super-Natural
FBM

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 09:12 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

A parting thought:

Christianity is about the Supernatural
Taoism is about the super-Natural

Ah. ISWYDT. Cool
laughoutlood

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 11:40 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
ISWYDT.

Love acronyms and absolute happiness.

FBM

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 06:26 am
@laughoutlood,
laughoutlood wrote:

Quote:
ISWYDT.

Love acronyms and absolute happiness.

Heh heh. I used to be a lot more resistent to developments in language, but then I figured out that I was just tilting at windmills, resisting the natural flow of phenomena. The wu wei approach, if nothing else, sure is less stressful and contentious. It's just the right philosophy for us lazy people. Cool
JLNobody

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 02:41 pm
@FBM,
The problem with laughoutloud's acronym is that it failed to communicate. It was sent to me (supposedly), but I had no inclination to decipher it. And I assume its purpose was communication, not just solipsistic expression.
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 04:07 pm
@JLNobody,
Some acronyms are better than others. In the army there are acronyms on just about anything. But ISWYDT is just laziness in my opinion, and I would rather have just spelled out "I see what you did there", because the same letters could have just as easily been "I shall walk your dog tomorrow" and many other things. But LOL, for instance, is an acronym of "laughing out loud", but it has become so common that it is almost a word in itself, and "I am loling" is a very common phrase in this age of text based communication on the internet and via text messaging on phones.
JLNobody

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 08:47 pm
@Cyracuz,
Thanks, that helps.
J.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 10:12 pm
"ISWYDT" is hardly obscure these days. I've been using it for about 3 years. It has contributed to my sense of absolute happiness. Wink

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=iswydt
JLNobody

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 10:36 pm
@FBM,
Yes, but ignoring it (and things like it) has contributed to my sense of absolute happiness.
FBM

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 11:49 pm
@JLNobody,
Whatever works... Cool

0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 02:15 am
@FBM,
My opinion is that it is just laziness that obstructs the smooth flow of reading. Smile
FBM

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 05:21 am
@Cyracuz,
You won't catch me denying that... Mr. Green
0 Replies