Italian Citizenship

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 07:55 pm
My grandparents were both born in Italy. My grandmother came to American and became a US citizen with my grandfather following a couple of years later. My grandfather arrived in the US in 1961, had my mother in 1962, and received his US citizenship in 1963.

According to what I have read, I can do the following:

4) Your mother was born in the United States, your maternal grandfather was an Italian citizen at the time of her birth, you were born after January 1, 1948 and neither you nor your mother ever renounced your right to Italian citizenship.

My mother was born in the US and had me in the 80's. What I am reading is that I can become an Italian citizen simply by applying because my grandfather was an Italian citizen when my mom was born. However, I have also come across this:

Citizenship jure sanguinis has no generational limit (provided the Italian ancestor was born after 1861) but may not, under any circumstances, SKIP generations.

MY QUESTION: With my grandfather being an Italian citizen when my mother was born in America, can I become an Italian citizen? Or will my mother have to apply and become a citizen before I can?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,308 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jcgrego2

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 07:58 pm
Please note that my mother never formally renounced her citizenship. My grandfather did when he became a citizen of the US, but only after having my mom. I'm simply confused about being able to skip my mom from my grandfather to me.
0 Replies

MonaLeeza

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 08:22 pm
@jcgrego2,
Why don't you just ring the Italian embassy and ask them?
jcgrego2

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 11:04 am
@MonaLeeza,
I've called the embassy multiple times and no one has ever answered. I sent them an email and got an autoresponse back saying that IPS Italy now handles citizenship. They are a charged call of $2.45 per minute and it states that they take appointments only, but don't start until April 2012. I don't want to go through all that to find out I can't even apply.
0 Replies