Is this because of boredom or drugs?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 06:13 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
You're totally correct. The only thing changed by admitting that is your future.

If you seriously don't want to go back to the old habits, say that out loud when you are tempted. Helped me a lot.

Good luck,
Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 06:15 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

The Pentacle Queen wrote:

Well, ok, but for me this is mainly word games.

There's the whole thing in a nutshell.

All you do is play word games, and overthink everything.

Actually, quite a bit about you is made clear to me now. In my personal experience, there's nothing more boring than sitting with a bunch of people who are all coked up, and you're straight, listening to their deep thoughts. They aren't thoughts as much as self absorbed blathering.

The only person you're fooling about being addicted is you.

Oh, hello Chai.
Well, most of communicating insights and reflecting on life IS word games, IMO.
And I'm not sure I believe that other people can be the judge of when someone is overthinking, I made a thread about it, somewhere.
I like your signature a lot.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 06:20 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

just a thought, PQ...

I think you are bored.

mebbe it is time to think about what the end goal is for someone with your gifts and abilities.

I know what I want to do. I either want to be an academic and write on contemporary opera, or direct contemporary opera/art installation crossover. Got a few qualifications to do when I get back, intern work at a journal, masters apps. Still thinking, reading, writing. I'm a good girl in that respect really. So yay, lots of straight edge fun and opera endorphins for me Wink
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 06:24 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Well, ok, but for me this is mainly word games. I never felt addicted, although when I first got into it I was a keen bean - someone else asked; yes, I did used to spend time awake at night thinking about taking drugs - I think it was more to do with my social scene, that's just what we did on the weekends, like other people drink. But yeah, I suppose you could say I was addicted in a certain sense, i certainly craved the catharsis, would feel a build up and let it all out.

I hear that - it's the same way for a lot of people. Alcohol and drugs serve as the release of tension and stress, in a friendly atmosphere.

Quote:
What do you mean some people never get that back?

Constant MDMA use floods your brain with dopamine. Cocaine prevents that dopamine from efficiently being cycled out of the brain. Over time, your brain becomes accustomed to the elevated levels that you are pumping through it; it becomes the 'new normal.' This is part of the reason why it's addictive and 'feels like a catharsis' when you took it. It's like returning to normal.

MDMA especially can lead to a feeling of andhedonia - an inability to feel 'good' or 'euphoric' about things which would normally make you happy or excited. You literally can't enjoy the rest of your life the way you used to. This damage may or may not be permanent; some hardcore users have reported these problems for years afterward. Some people recover pretty quickly. It seems like you have recovered somewhat.

You are quite lucky; I know folks from college who were into the party scene who never got better and are now clinically depressed. Every one of them blames their abuse of MDMA and coke.

---

Regarding the alcohol - you stated that you 'would get smashed 2-4 times a week.' That's the frequency and use patterns of an alcoholic. I can understand that next to the other drugs, it doesn't seem like a big deal; and I went through a heavy drinking phase myself in college, like a lot of kids do. It's potentially worse for you in the long run than the drugs.

Please understand that there's no judgment here; I know too many great people who have struggled with drug abuse, and I myself have struggled with it. But admitting to yourself the full extent of the problem is critical to overcoming the problem. I'm heartened that you feel that you won't slip back into the old scene when you return to England; please keep that thought in your head, because it's really important that you don't!

Cycloptichorn

Whoa...
I know there's no judgment Smile Thank you.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 06:35 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Quote:

Whoa...
I know there's no judgment Smile Thank you.

No prob. I've been a fan of your writing here on A2K for a long time now and I'm glad to hear that things are going well for you.

Cycloptichorn
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 10:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Thanks Cy, compliment returned.

I just thought, the reason why I never thought I was actually addited is that I was never depressed, although slightly flat for a bit. I guess that's a stereotype I needed to bust.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 06:12 pm
I suspect that drugs are a dead end road to enlightenment, but I'm not sure if that is a suspicion formed by reason or cultural bias.

Are the negatives of addiction proof that enlightenment can't be obtained with the help of substances, or the price?

Drugs are natural and have been taken for as long as humans have been able to find them.

If you take them simply for pleasure, then that is fine but unless you are true-blue hedonist you need to consider the subject further.

No one gets addicted to LSD, notwithstanding the obsession with trippers to exactly count their trips, but not everyone who takes it finds it something other than horrific.

All these "natural high" folks will tell you that you don't need the help of substances, but then turn around and preach the virtue of bee pollen, raw veggies, and soy milk.

If you can ingest it or inject it, it is natural.

The question is are drugs a test or a gift?
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 12:29 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I suspect that drugs are a dead end road to enlightenment, but I'm not sure if that is a suspicion formed by reason or cultural bias.

Are the negatives of addiction proof that enlightenment can't be obtained with the help of substances, or the price?

Drugs are natural and have been taken for as long as humans have been able to find them.

If you take them simply for pleasure, then that is fine but unless you are true-blue hedonist you need to consider the subject further.

No one gets addicted to LSD, notwithstanding the obsession with trippers to exactly count their trips, but not everyone who takes it finds it something other than horrific.

All these "natural high" folks will tell you that you don't need the help of substances, but then turn around and preach the virtue of bee pollen, raw veggies, and soy milk.

If you can ingest it or inject it, it is natural.

The question is are drugs a test or a gift?

I agree with all that's said, especially re. 'the virtues of bee pollen'. However, I can't help feeling that acid is art for lazy people, and if you really want to create, you have to find your own interesting lenses without substances, which just enforce them/hand them to you on a plate.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 05:28 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
I don't know Queeny.

Art requires a spark of inspiration.

The memories of a trip can be just such a spark.

The brain is a complex organ driven by a complex mixture of chemicals and electrical impulses.

If you are "lucky" enough to be born with the proper mixture for artistic genius, you are probably also going to be in for an ear slicing episode somewhere down the line.

I think it's pretty amazing that man can mess with the mix, and why should the results be any less valuable then what genes, unaided, can deliver?
0 Replies