My Academic Dissmissal Appeal Letter (You think they'll give me another chance?)

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 11:43 pm
Dear Academic Committee,
My name is XXXXXXX I’m XX years old and I’m majoring in Business Administration. I was registered for 9 credits last semester, 3 courses in which I had to receive a B or higher in order to stay enrolled here at BMCC. The 3 courses I was taking were Intro to Business, Business Law & Psychology. I did achieve to get B’s in all my classes except psychology. In that case I was dismissed from BMCC after the end of the Fall 2010 semester.
Looking back at my last 2 years in college, I realized that I have no one to blame but myself for the situation that I’ve placed myself in. For falling behind in my credits, for letting every little matter get to me, & for not taking responsibility for what was right in front of me. Although, I was performing under stressful and uncomfortable circumstances some in which were life altering. I lost my grandfather right before the Spring 2010 semester started, I fell into a deep depression (in which I’m currently receiving treatment for), my family had separated shorty after & I’ve been struggling for months to find employment to help my now single mother with payments around the house. The fall 2010 semester was a crucial time for me to develop poise and do exactly what I was obligated to do. I worked so hard for the grades I received as well as try and per survive the adversity that I’ve faced recently in my young life. Not only has my psychiatrist been helping me through most of my issues, but I was able to find out more about who I am, my purpose in college, and my life. When I lost my grandfather my world came crashing down, I was truly lost within myself. I couldn’t concentrate on my studies for the following semester after his death. It was a time where I just couldn’t do anything right therefore, I looked for professional help. Throughout the two years in BMCC I was living in an unstable home where I couldn’t develop any study habits due to various reasons. Not only was it difficult to get any work done due to the tight environment but, my parents were also going through a separation. I then fell into a deep depression in which I had to receive professional help in order to try and put myself back together. Till now treatment has done me well, and I will continue on attending my weekly sections. Following my parent’s maternal separation, I, my mother and younger brother moved into an apartment of our own. For the last four to five months I’ve been desperately trying to seek employment in order to help her pay for some of the bills. So far nothing has come up but, I will continue my search until I find something. Since I’m not employed my mother knows that school is the only thing I have left to keep myself occupied.
I know I’ve had a couple of setbacks, and I apologize to you the committee for feeling as if I wasted your time for my poor academic performances. I’ve especially apologized to myself for letting myself down time and time again. I understand you’re trying to run an institution of higher learning, and you’re trying to set everything to a fair standard for everyone. Lately, due to this dismissal I sat down with myself to re-evaluate my mistakes and the change I’m GOING to make going forward.

• Firstly if I am accepted back for the Spring I will take a total of 12 credits. In order to boost my GPA past its minimal requirements and strive to levels that I know I can achieve if given the chance to be reinstated.

• I will seek the aid of tutors for a class that I am struggling with, and try to receive as much help as I possibly can from anyone including classmates.

• Once I receive my schedule, I will construct a study time table for homework assignments and preparations for exams. That was also one of the reasons why I didn’t do well.
• I also want to start visiting my professors during office hours in order to keep up with the work, and to build a close relationship with my professors.

• I will never let my personal matters interfere with my college life again; I now realize that college is a serious matter. This is my future, and I will not let go to waste.

My goals are to receive my Associate’s degree and then move forward to my Bachelors and then possibly my Masters in Business Administration. This academic dismissal has been a huge wake-up call for me, and I promise if I’m reinstated to BMCC I will never get myself into this predicament again. Like I’ve mentioned in the letter I’ve been through a lot of hardships the last couple of years but, I will leave my past in the past and only look forward from here on out. I love BMCC I want to graduate from here 2012; I have nothing but respect for the facility and the staff that work at this wonderful institute. If I am reinstated my motivation to succeed will be at a level that can push me to my limits and beyond. If I’m allowed to be put on probation one more time I will have the upmost gratitude for a second chance because, I know that they don’t come around too often. I would love to talk to any member of the committee personally regarding this appeal. I would love to be back to BMCC for the Spring 2011 semester and, look forward to graduating here next year. Thank You & God Bless.

MonaLeeza

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 01:45 am
@Jonathanp219,
I think it will be more sympathetically received if you correct all the errors in grammar and puntuation.
roger

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 02:28 am
@MonaLeeza,
And as I mentioned in answer to the same question, leave out the "God Bless", unless maybe you are writing to some bible college.
Jonathanp219

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 02:36 am
@roger,
Well I already sent it to the committee...I don't think the "God Bless" is going to be an issue, they'll probably just take it as a friendly closing. I just wanted to know if my appeal was good enough for me to be reinstated.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 01:27 pm
No.

good luck to you in the future
Joe(That's probably what they are going to say)Nation
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 01:31 pm
@Jonathanp219,
Jonathanp219 wrote:

Well I already sent it to the committee...I don't think the "God Bless" is going to be an issue, they'll probably just take it as a friendly closing. I just wanted to know if my appeal was good enough for me to be reinstated.

Terrific. You ask the question at , 2011 10:43 pm and have sent it to the committee three hours later. Kind of pointless, but good luck.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 01:50 pm
Shall we list the number of errors you, a business major, made in your letter?
Joe(we will, if you think it will help you in the future)Nation
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 01:54 pm
@Jonathanp219,
No.
0 Replies

Jonathanp219

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 02:57 pm
@roger,
i asked the question out of curiosity I sent it like a week ago
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 03:15 pm
@Jonathanp219,
Jonathanp219 wrote:

i asked the question out of curiosity I sent it like a week ago

Yah, sorry man, but I wouldn't rate your chances of being re-accepted as overly high at this point.

The good news? Your final goal (an MBA) is achievable no matter what degree you get as an undergrad. It's almost irrelevant.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 03:18 pm
Too long, reads like stock BS.....NO
0 Replies

Jonathanp219

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 03:58 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Well, I had documentation to back up my letter, so im sure my chances are still high.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 04:04 pm
@Jonathanp219,
Do you see where your letter needs to be edited?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 04:14 pm
@Jonathanp219,
Jonathanp219 wrote:

Well, I had documentation to back up my letter, so im sure my chances are still high.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, personally.

I do wish you luck tho.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 06:08 pm
@Jonathanp219,
If I were on the committee, I would not be impressed by your letter.

The content needed to be better organized and edited, and you seemed to be making excuses for your poor grades rather than giving the committee a compelling reason to reconsider their decision. While you cite personal problems as having interfered with your studies, you are also clearly indicating that:
Quote:
I now realize that college is a serious matter.

And that suggests that you were not taking it seriously before.

And, you may be telling the committee that, in fact, they made the correct decision because
Quote:
This academic dismissal has been a huge wake-up call for me
Good. Maybe you needed a wake-up call. Maybe you needed this to happen.

Given the various stressful factors that have affected your life in the past two years, and your continuing treatment for depression, as well as your ongoing need to find some kind of employment, this might be a good time to take a break from your academic studies so you can continue to address some of those issues. In that respect, the academic dismissal might be good for you and it will also give you some time to seek and maintain some type of employment without having to worry about the additional responsibilities and stress of coursework. And, having to wait another semester or two before you can reapply for reinstatement, may allow you more time to think about just how serious you are about your education and the priority it holds in your life.

So, if you convince the Academic Committee to reconsider their decision, that will be good, and if they are unpersuaded by your letter, that might turn out to be good for you too. You can always resume your studies when you are eligible for reinstatement.

Whatever happens, I wish you well.
Jonathanp219

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 12:06 pm
@firefly,
No...if they deny me then i have nothing. I don't know where your from, but in New York is really difficult finding a job. This dismissal is just gonna bring my life to another screeching halt. And, those aren't just some lame little excuses is the truth. Plus in the letter I indicated that i'm feeling much better.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 12:08 pm
@Jonathanp219,
Quote:
No...if they deny me then i have nothing.

Oh man! You'll never have nothing. You always have more chances to succeed.

You could always try a different school.

Cycloptichorn
Jonathanp219

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 12:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Doesn't matter im still going to miss an entire semester. Technically, i'll be out of school for 7 months. What the hell am I going to do for 7 months? Get a job? *laughs* what you think I've been trying to do for the LAST 7 months? There's nothing to do from here on out if my appeal isn't granted...don't call me pessimistic because its the truth.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 12:23 pm
@Jonathanp219,
Jonathanp219 wrote:

Doesn't matter im still going to miss an entire semester. Technically, i'll be out of school for 7 months. What the hell am I going to do for 7 months? Get a job? *laughs* what you think I've been trying to do for the LAST 7 months? There's nothing to do from here on out if my appeal isn't granted...don't call me pessimistic because its the truth.

I had to take a year off of school back in college, not because of academic dismissal, but because of a lack of money. I went back afterward because my mom wouldnt' shut up about getting a degree, which in retrospect was the right call. It's not the end of the world.

You could always move somewhere else where there are jobs. You could keep looking for a job. You can ask for help and assistance from other people. You could develop a new skill or talent with all the free time you have.

Gotta keep trying, because giving up does what? Nothing good for ya.

Things will get better, just hang in there.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 12:54 pm
@Jonathanp219,
Have you looked into doing some volunteer work while you are continuing to look for work? are you involved in any community activities that you could point to as part of your ongoing efforts to improve your condition? are you exercising regularly?