The worlds first riddle!

Mungo

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 11:03 am
Craven

With all due respect, the Nazis were somewhat more than heavy handed.

Labelling a piece of flowery speech - flowery speech of no great relevance or consequence either - as a lie; that, IMHO, comes closer to what heavy handed means.

But that, of course, is only my opinion.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 11:12 am
I think you operate with a different meaning of "lie" than I do.

The riddle was a lie. The "answer" to the "riddle" was that it was a lie.

If that's "heavy handed" then calling a spade a spade is as well.
0 Replies

Mungo

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 11:59 am
craven

I have already expressed my opinion and feel there is nothing I can add to it or detract from it, so as far as I am concerned there is little point in continuing this exchange.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 12:00 pm
I thought the whole "heavy handed" bit was pointless to begin, so I agree, of course.
0 Replies

Mungo

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 12:26 pm
Craven

At least we are agreed on "I thought the whole "heavy handed" bit was pointless to begin" though I suspect we are each reading diffent thuings into those words.

We are then agreed I think, without differing interpretations, that the subject is closed.

Better forgotten too IMHO.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 03:14 pm
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 03:24 pm
I think you guys are reading animosity where there is none. That's what I was getting at earlier when I said we interpret "lie" differently.

To me "lie" is not value laden. Every human is a liar or will be if they grow old enough to communicate. What one lies about is what's important and a tricky riddle that deceives is not an issue to me.

In short I have no beef with you guys. The talk of putting it behind us makes it sound so much more serious than it is. ;-)
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 04:32 pm
Tryagain, well done! That was very clever.

Now for your second one;
The largest face is the R with 143 teeth. The minimum number of turns needed in order to get the M is 105. This gives 682.5 turns of the W leaving you with an M, 429 turns of the A and 385 turns of the Y.

Another good one! Keep 'em coming.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 04:41 pm
You hung me up for a minute there, but the answer is 12,705
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 04:54 pm
largest face have to revolve before my name is spelt correctly.

Do tryagain. Smile
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 04:59 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
You hung me up for a minute there, but the answer is 12,705

Hi Bill,

Take another minute, you are way too high. :wink:
OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 05:04 pm
You are right, as usual Adrian. Some how I passed the correct answer 121 times! When attempting to reduce my answer; somehow I forgot to check the prime #11, or I would have come up with your answer. Damn it. Good Job! Obviously I couldn't remember how to write the formula, so I opted for multiplying and then reducing by prime #s
May I see your formula?
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 05:26 pm
Tryagain, I think my answer is correct. The ring surrounding the R is the biggest with 143 teeth, that ring needs to turn 105 times to leave you with MARY. If I am wrong can you please explain why. (I'm interested.)

Bill, I am crap at maths. I don't use formulas if I can avoid it. I just looked for multiples of 143 that ended in a 5 and divided by 22,35,39 till I got the right answer. (Well I THINK it's right, Tryagain doesn't.)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 05:26 pm
Now I'm really confused. How could Adrian's answer (105) be wrong? His answer aligns everything correctly and the answer can not be reduced because there is no common denominator. It has to be correct. The answer is: 105
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 05:42 pm
I haven't run any of the calculations but are you sure the other letters are lined up?

And do you understand what Tryagain means when he says "facing south"?

I won't be tackling this one but maybe that'll help you.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 08:41 pm
Okie Dokie...... Shocked
0 Replies

Mungo

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 09:40 pm
I make it 105 turns of the largest wheel, but if anyone thinks they have a better answer . . .
0 Replies

Mungo

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 09:55 pm
My reply was written without reading the more recent posts so I think it therefore counts as being an independant confirmation of Adrian's answer.

I have checked the figures and I don't see how Tryagain can disagree with it. 105 times 143 gives 15015, which is the lowest common denominator of 143, 39, and 35, and which also divides by 11 an odd number of times.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 07:40 am
Mungo

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 10:23 am
Einstein died in 1955. 1955 minus 1920 is 35.

If the largest wheel rotatates 35 times that will mean 5005 'tooth steps' took place. (35 times 143)

This implies that the wheel with 39 teeth has rotated 128 AND A THIRD times, which hardly qualifies as all of the letters being aligned, does it? (Excuse the upper case letters but I wouldn't know how to do italics here)

I could give you the factorial argument, where all of the factors reduce to 3, 5, and 7. Your 35 ignores the 3 whereas Adrian's answer is precisely 3 times 5 times 7. And it is the same 3 that is needed to make the number of rotations of the 39 toothed wheel come out a whole number.

On the other hand, your post - contrary to my recollection - says that Eistein died in 1935. (Google agrees with me BTW) The difference - if 1935 is to be taken as the date of Einstein's death and the large wheel therefore turned 15 times - is that the 7 factor has been ignored rather than the 3 and the 35 toothed wheel does not rotate a whole number of times but rotates 61 AND ONE SEVENTH times.

Of course I have been known to be wrong before!