Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 01:07 am
I live in not a backwater, but on the other hand, not the most up to date place.
Your average burgler would say, so what, there is not even a tv.

The odd piece of mine might be seriously valuable, but maybe not.

How to market most of it?
I add, I'd' save all of this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,577 • Replies: 10

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 07:04 pm
Do you need an appraisal of something?

You MAY be able to do that on-line if you can post pics, etc.

PS Will you share with us what this is?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 07:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Hey Osso, sometimes you're like the Oracle of Delphi when you post. What exactly are you asking?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 07:24 pm
@Green Witch,
I know, I know. Call me, Delpha.

I do need to sell a lot of my stuff, and I have looked at least some of it up on ebay and craigs.

A friend told me about estate sale people, the idea of which makes my loins gird. That was my ex, but we're not antagonistic.

Back in Venice, a guy with an "antique store" near my earlier gallery came over before I moved from Venice and said there is nothing here that interests me, after talking me up for about an hour.
Hiss.

I hate to go there, re estate sales, but maybe.. I see that as complete heartbreak combined with undervalue. Not that I have so much of value, but perhaps some of it (the photo of marilyn monroe's mother?)

I'm also wondering if there are other sites than ebay.
Or, should I be having an estimator take a look. So, my question posed was about estimators.

My own take on all of this is that I should venture into ebay.
But, I'd sort of like to know about that amazing early japanese vase, or whatever it is called, as it has a lid.

As is obvious, I don't think I can afford an appraiser.
Green Witch

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 07:44 pm
@ossobuco,
The problem with professional appraisals is that they are expensive. Ebay is by the far the best auction site, it gets volume and you need volume to get value. The problem with Ebay is that things do not always go for top retail dollar. You could put a reserve on an item so you wouldn't totally lose out. I've sold many small antiques on Ebay, but they tend to have price ceilings that reflect the fact that buyers are looking for bargains. You can get a good price for a vintage cookie jar, but forget about getting full value for a piece of Newcomb. You said you looked up Ebay prices (I'm not a fan of Craiglist, too many scammers) - did you see any values you thought appropriate? Did you look at the actual selling prices or just what people where asking? Do you know you can look at completed auction histories? Depending on what you have you might want to contact galleries/antique shops that handle a specific artist or item and see if you can get a decent price if you sell out right. If you think an item is valuable enough, you could contact larger auction companies, via email with pictures, and see if they are interested.
Roberta

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:41 pm
You could take a few things to an estate place. While they're examining what you've presented, you could ask about a bunch of other stuff you have. Say it's hard for you to get around. Say you have trouble seeing. You can come up with some kinda kvetch. They might offer to show up at your house and give you and estimate for free.

Why do I make such a claim?

I went to the jeweler last week. Sold some bling. Asked if they appraised silver. (I've got tons. Don't know a thing about it.) Sighed. The jeweler sympathized that silver can be heavy. I asked how to clean it. Back and forth, forth and back. Next thing I know, the jeweler is offering to come to my apartment with his father for a free appraisal.

I didn't do this on purpose, but that's how it worked out. Maybe it would work out the same for you. BTW, if you need help on coming up with some good kvetches, let me know. I'm da Queen of Kvetch. But you knew that.
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 08:33 am
Ebay has interest groups that can tell you what your item is, but they won't appraise it.

Go to 'Community Link" at Ebay.

Go to the Pottery/Glass group and post your pic of your item. Ask what it is and if it's valuable, or not.

You can take your items into local antiques shops and see if you can place things there on consignment.

Antique dealers don't always deal in "collectibles" - I find that's an entirely different audience.

Re: your picutre of MM's mother. Is it a print or an original, real photo? The print would be of no value. .

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 11:08 pm
@Green Witch,
Thanks. Most of my stuff is middling, but I've a one or two things that might add up. I'll post a photo, if I can find it, of the vase like thing I'm thinking of, just in case you can tell me "nah".
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 11:10 pm
@Roberta,
I'm a splendid kvetcher! Thanks, I might try that. Too bad I'm not in NYC. Still..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 11:12 pm
@PUNKEY,
Original, taken by one of the girlfriends who were roller skating. My mother is in the photo. They worked at the same studio. Not sure how long MM's mother worked there but enough to go skating that day. I can identify at least one other person besides my mother.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 11:30 pm
@ossobuco,
At one point, I didn't want to sell that. I'm mending my ways.
0 Replies