House of Reps. member Giffords shot in Arizona today

dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 09:47 pm
@realjohnboy,
Not feed them with insane rhetoric?

Seriously, if this guy/these guys turn out to be insane that's really sad...but even the mad are affected by the things around them, and while nuts ranting on the Internet etc may be free to say pretty much what they like, I think the working media have a responsibility not to whip up hatred...be they left, right or in the middle.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 09:48 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

What does 'prejudice and bigotry' have to do with this nut job trigger man?

Probably nothing. The sheriff mentioned that, but we certainly can't say that the shooter was actively involved in politics. I doubt that he was an avid listener of Rush or Glenn. There is no evidence that he hung out on conservative blogs.
He is, in your words, a nut job.
I understand the frustration of the sheriff about how incendiary language can lead to tragic results. But the shooter seems to have lived in his own dreams.

I am not sure how anything could have been done about that.

Check out the video listed in his 'Favorites' on his YouTube page.

America: Your Last Memory In A Terrorist Country! posted by: Starhitshnaz -
Gargamel

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 09:50 pm
Holy ****, H20 made a good point!

This dude is no different from that Virginia Tech asshole and a host of other wonderful people I could list, except that his madness was to some degree infused with strong, however deranged, political "thoughts."

Or at least that's one thing that crosses my mind.
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 09:52 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
I'm sure they are, tico. How are folks reacting near you?

Well, my family spent the day watching the news reports. My wife is very upset.
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 09:52 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
According to the AP, Sheriff Dupnik, who has had a long, bad day said:
"When you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government. The anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is outrageous.
And, unfortunately, Arizona, I think, has become the capital. We have become the mecca for prejudice and bigotry."
Did any of yall see that in his press briefing?

Yes, and he's absolutely right. I wish he was the Sheriff of my county.
dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 09:55 pm
@Ticomaya,
We don't have sheriffs...and i am not absolutely clear of their role...do they head up police departments?...but I'd like one of him here.

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 09:56 pm
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

Holy ****, H20 made a good point!

Seriously?
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 09:57 pm
@H2O MAN,
Yep.
BillW

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 09:58 pm
@H2O MAN,
I can't verify this cause I can't listen to the song long enough of with skill enough to decipher it.

Quote:
If there's no flag in the constitution then the flag in the film is unknown.
There's no flag in the constitution.
Therefore, the flag in the film is unknown.
Burn every new and old flag that you see.
Burn your flag!
I bet you can imagine this in your mind with a faster speed.
Watch this protest in reverse!
Ask the local police; "What's your illegal activity on duty?".
If you protest the government then there's a new government from protesting.
There's not a new government from protesting.
Thus, you aren't protesting the government.
There's something important in this video: There's no communication to anyone in this location.
You shouldn't be afraid of the stars.
There's a new bird on my right shoulder. The beak is two feet and lime green. The rarest bird on earth, there's no feathers, but small grey scales all over the body. It's with one large red eye with a light blue iris. The bird feet are the same as a woodpecker. This new bird and there's only one, the gender is not female or male. The wings of this bird are beautiful; 3 feet wide with the shape of a bald eagle that you could die for. If you can see this bird then you will understand. You think this bird is able to chat about a government?
I want you to imagine a comet or meteoroid coming through the atmosphere.
On the other hand, welcome yourself to the desert: Maybe your ability to protest is from the brainwash of the current government structure.
BillW

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 10:00 pm
@dlowan,
County mounties we sometimes call them.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 10:02 pm
@realjohnboy,
Ya just don't incite loonies......
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 10:07 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

I can't verify this cause I can't listen to the song long enough of with skill enough to decipher it.

You don't have to listen to the song, it's title (bodies) and artist (deadpool) are listed with the video in his favorites.

Quote:

Let the bodies hit the floor

Beaten why for
Can't take much more

Here we go...Here we go...Here we go

One - Nothing wrong with me
Two - Nothing wrong with me
Three - Nothing wrong with me
Four - Nothing wrong with me

One - Something's got to give
Two - Something's got to give
Three - Something's got to give
Now

Push me again
This is the end

Here we go...Here we go...Here we go

Now

Skin against skin blood and bone
You're all by yourself but you're not alone
You wanted in now you're here
Driven by hate consumed by fear

Now

The floor...The floor...The floor...The floor

Not my kind of music.
BillW

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 10:29 pm
@H2O MAN,
Okay, yeah - I can't handle the listening either. Doing some intense googling, I got the lyrics I showed above your post. Maybe there are two songs somehow. Both are pretty disturbing and very crazy. The wording you got is kinda prophetic though.

Helter Skelter
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 10:41 pm
http://azstarnet.com/news/local/article_88b4b436-1b53-11e0-8354-001cc4c002e0.html

Meanwhile, Gov. Jan Brewer's office is confirming federal Judge John Roll was among the dead, as was Gabe Zimmerman, Giffords' director of community outreach.

Sheriff Clarence Dupnik last night said there were six dead, including a child, among the 19 dead or injured. The girl slain in the attack was later identified as Christina-Taylor Green, 9. Later, Dorwan Stodder, a church volunteer, was identified as being one of the people killed.

Giffords, 40, was talking to a couple in the store when a gunman rushed her, shouting as he fired his weapon.

The gunman fired at people in line and got within 4 to 5 feet of the congresswoman, said Mark Kimble, a former Tucson newspaper executive who is now on her staff.

The gunman fired at Giffords then ran out, continuing to shoot.

Members of Giffords' staff were among the wounded. District director Ron Barber remained in surgery, but his life was not expected to be in danger.

Pam Simon, Giffords' community-outreach representative, was also shot and injured, but expected to survive, Giffords spokesman C.J. Karamargin said.

Zimmerman, 30, who had a master's degree in social work from Arizona State University, had been with the congresswoman since her first election.

"He was a social worker through and through," Karamargin said. "He gave help to people for a living and he was very good at it."

Karamargin said Zimmerman was in the middle of making plans for his wedding, and the two had recently spoken about possible honeymoon plans.

He said the 9-year-old girl had been brought by her family to meet the congresswoman to see how government works.

He said Roll had worked with Giffords' office most recently in helping to secure funding for the Yuma courthouse.

Two individuals at the event tackled the man after the shooting, Dupnik said, adding there was still ammunition in the semi-automatic pistol.

Dr. Steven Rayle, a hospice doctor who used to work in the emergency department at St. Mary's Hospital, went to the event to meet the congresswoman, whom he'd never met before.

Rayle said he was walking toward her, about 8 to 10 feet away, when he saw a man about 2 feet away from her side shoot her in the head.

There was no warning of the shot, he said. The man didn't say a word.

The congresswoman fell to the ground and a staff member ran to her side. She was conscious and he saw her sitting up against a wall - signs he considered encouraging.

He said he heard another 15 to 20 rounds. He helped hold the suspect down after other witnesses tackled and disarmed him.

'It was surreal. Gunshots sound less real in person," Rayle said. "I thought someone was staging a protest. It just didn't feel real."

Alex Villec, a 19-year-old volunteer, organized the line of constituents when the shooter approached the line outside Safeway.

The shooter said "Can I talk to the congresswoman?", or something to that effect, Villec said. He told him to stand at the back of a line to wait for about 20 minutes.

A few minutes later, the shooter left the back of the line and walked toward Giffords amid a group of 20 to 25 constituents, employees and volunteers.

"He was intent," Villec said. "He was intent when he came back - a pretty stone-cold glance and glare. ... I didn't see his gun, but it was clear who he was going for. He was going for the congresswoman.

"A few staff members were caught in the crossfire ... . His goal was the congresswoman."

The shooter walked past Villec and to his left, past tables and toward Gifford. Villec saw him raise his hand and heard gunshots before ducking behind a pillar and later running across the Safeway parking lot to a bank for safety. "It was bedlam," he said. "People were getting down on the ground. They were screaming. I just did what I could to keep myself protected."

Matthew Laos, 43, was the first person in line at the event. He came to talk to Giffords about his U.S. Army assignment and show her an award he had received.

"I was proud to show her the award. And I even said to her that I was so proud she had won this election under the most difficult circumstances," Laos said, adding he spoke with her for seven minutes, then it dawned on him he was monopolizing her time, with some 20 people in line behind him.

As he was driving away, he saw law enforcement vehicles speeding by. "It was just too close to the event," he said, adding he had a strange feeling. When he got home, he turned on the news, then drove to Giffords' midtown congressional office, 1661 N. Swan Road, to try to get more information on her condition.
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 10:45 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
We don't have sheriffs...and i am not absolutely clear of their role...do they head up police departments?...but I'd like one of him here.

Yes, they are the law enforcement heads of counties.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 10:45 pm
http://azstarnet.com/article_91db5db4-1b74-11e0-ba23-001cc4c002e0.html

The man linked to the shooting today of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and others is 22-year-old Jared Lee Loughner, the Associated Press reported.
The suspected shooter has made death threats before and been contacted by law-enforcement officers, but the threats weren't against Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, Dupnik said. The suspect is unstable, Dupnik said, but the sheriff would not say he is "insane."

A former classmate of Loughner at Pima Community College said he was "obviously very disturbed."

"He disrupted class frequently with nonsensical outbursts," said Lynda Sorenson, who took a math class with Loughner last summer at Pima Community College's Northwest campus.

Sorenson doesn't recall if he ever made any threats or uttered political statements but he was very disruptive, she said. He was asked to leave the pre-algebra class several times and eventually was barred from class, said Sorenson, a Tucson resident.

Another Pima classmate, Lydian Ali, said Loughner would frequently laugh aloud to himself during the advanced-poetry class they attended. Only about 16 people were in the class, so Loughner's behavior stood out, Ali said.

"It almost seemed like he was on his own planet, because his comments would have nothing to do with what we were talking about," Ali said.
First Sgt. Brian Homme, who oversees Army recruiting in Tucson, said Loughner applied to enlist in December 2008 and was sent to Phoenix to take a test and physical. But "he was found to be unqualified so he never joined the Army," Homme said.

He declined to say why Loughner was rejected, citing confidentiality laws.

Loughner has had at least two minor run-ins with police, according to on-line court records.

In October 2007, Loughner was cited by the Pima County Sheriff's Department for possession of drug paraphernalia, a charge that was dismissed in November 2007 when he completed a diversion program.

One year later, in October 2008, Loughner was charged with a "local charge" in Marana Municipal Court, that charge was also dismissed following the completion of a diversion program in March 2009.

Court records indicate the Marana case file is due to be purged in December 2013. It's unclear what the exact charge was.

Grant Wiens, 22, attended Mountain View High School with Loughner, although they were not in the same grade.

Wiens also took a class at Pima Community College with Loughner, where they occasionally talked, he said.

"He was a guy in high school who definitely had his opinions on stuff and didn't seem to care what people thought of him," Wiens said. "He did his own thing."

Ryan Miller, 19, was a sophomore at Mountain View when Loughner was a senior.

He said Loughner was seemed like a normal kid.

"I was in shock," he said, describing his reaction to the shooting. "I didn't know what possessed someone our age to do something like this."
plainoldme

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 11:11 pm
How many of you are dismayed by the nature of the reportage? I think that someone should have said comments are withheld pending conformation.

I would guess that Gifford had been clinically dead but was resuscitated.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 11:15 pm
@Butrflynet,
http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/local/report/010811_loughner_pima

Pima College statement on alleged Giffords shooter
Posted Jan 8, 2011, 7:30 pm

Dylan Smith TucsonSentinel.com

Pima Community College has released a statement on Jared Lee Loughner, who has been named by sources as a suspect in the shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and 18 others on Saturday:

Pima Community College Statement on Today’s Tragic Events

As are all Americans, Pima Community College is deeply saddened by today’s tragic events, and our most heartfelt condolences and thoughts go the families of the victims.

PCC records indicate that Jared Lee Loughner, the suspect in custody in connection to today's terrible mass shooting, is a former PCC student who voluntarily withdrew from the College on Oct. 4, 2010.

Loughner was a PCC student from Summer 2005 through Fall 2010, when he was suspended for Code of Conduct violations. The College's Code of Conduct is available at http://www.pima.edu/studentserv/studentcode/studentcode-2-conduct.shtml.

From February to September 2010, Loughner had five contacts with PCC police for classroom and library disruptions at Northwest and West campuses. On September 29, 2010, College police discovered on YouTube a Loughner-filmed video made at Northwest Campus. In the video, he claims that the College is illegal according to the U.S. Constitution, and makes other claims.

Working with legal counsel, College administration issued a letter of immediate suspension on September 29, 2010. That evening, two police officers delivered the letter of suspension to the student at his and his parents' residence and spoke with the student and his parents.

The suspension letter indicated that he was to contact the Northwest Campus to schedule an appointment to discuss the Code of Conduct process and suspension status. Other than for this appointment, he was prohibited from returning to the College.

Loughner and his parents met Northwest Campus administrators October 4, 2010. During this meeting Loughner indicated he would withdraw from the College. A follow-up letter was sent to him October 7, 2010 indicating that if he intends to return to the College, he must resolve his Code of Conduct violations and obtain a mental health clearance indicating, in the opinion of a mental health professional, his presence at the College does not present a danger to himself or others.

After this event, there was no further College contact with Loughner.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 11:20 pm
@Butrflynet,
Sounds like this is going to be yet another case of prior knowledge and warnings about a person with severe mental issues, and authorities walking the fine line between protecting themselves, the public and the individual, none of which was effective in doing so.
Lash

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 11:35 pm
@Setanta,
She CALLED it a "gun sight" list????