House of Reps. member Giffords shot in Arizona today

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:27 pm
@JPB,
I liked his commentary during his press conference, JPB. He also said the mentally ill are more susceptible to the vitriol. This shooter appears quite schizophrenic, in my lay opinion.
BillW

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:27 pm
@JPB,
Did you see his press conference, it was tremendously informative -
JPB

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:28 pm
@BillW,
Yes, I watched most of it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:32 pm
@Ticomaya,
I'm sure they are, tico. How are folks reacting near you?
Below viewing threshold (view)
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:39 pm
According to the AP, Sheriff Dupnik, who has had a long, bad day said:
"When you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government. The anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is outrageous.
And, unfortunately, Arizona, I think, has become the capital. We have become the mecca for prejudice and bigotry."
Did any of yall see that in his press briefing?
BillW

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:43 pm
@realjohnboy,
Yea, it was truly interesting.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:46 pm
What does 'prejudice and bigotry' have to do with this nut job trigger man?
dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:51 pm
I am very sad for all the US folk here that another horrible mass murder and a political assassination has happened.

Be nice if it at least has the effect of damping down the hate rhetoric ..... At least for a while.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:52 pm
@dlowan,
Thanks for the expression of sympathy. You can keep the scolding to yourself.
snood

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:55 pm
The face and words of the shooter:

http://mjcdn.motherjones.com/preset_16/jared-lee-loughner.jpg

...The suspect appears to have posted YouTube videos under the handle "Classitup10" that rail against the government and talk of revolution and terrorism. The user, identified as "Jared Lee Loughner," says in a rage-filled, rambling, and incoherent post accompanying one video:

We need a drum roll for those front runners in the election; those illegal teachers, pigs, and politicians of yours are under illegal authority of their constitution. Those dirty pigs think they know the damn year. Thirdly, tell them mother fuckers to count from 0 to whenever they feel a threat to stop their count…Those illegal military personal are able to sign into a country that they can't find with an impossible date! How did you trust your child with them fraud teachers and front runners, listener? Did you now know that the teachers, pigs, and front runners are treasonous!

In another video, the same user accuses the government of imposing "mind control and brainwash on the people by controlling grammar." Loughner continues: "You don't have to accept hte [SIC] federalist laws…A terrorist is a person who employs terror or terrorism, especially as a political weapon. If you call me a terrorist then the argument to call me a terrorist is Ad hominem."...

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/01/jared-lee-loughner-gabrielle-giffords

0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:56 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Thanks for the expression of sympathy. You can keep the scolding to yourself.

You see "I hope this dampens the hate rhetoric" as scolding?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:58 pm
I'm sure that if this loon is discovered to be a big fan of Glenn Beck and Faux Noose the rightwing apologists won't see any connection.
dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 09:04 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

Did you see his press conference, it was tremendously informative -

Just did. He did a great job
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 09:06 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

I liked his commentary during his press conference, JPB. He also said the mentally ill are more susceptible to the vitriol. This shooter appears quite schizophrenic, in my lay opinion.

He sure doesn't sound very well in the head.
BillW

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 09:13 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Be nice if it at least has the effect of damping down the hate rhetoric ..... At least for a while.

He sure doesn't sound very well in the head.

Then again, I am positive that if I looked up "lunatic act" in any future books, this incident will be included. And, I hope it will say, "The vitrolic acts in America ceased to exist after this incident."

Thanks deb, I feel it!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 09:24 pm
@snood,
Maybe it will be proven that he's a big fan of Gore, Soros, Matthews, Alinksy, MSNBC, The View and NPR.
BillW

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 09:27 pm
ROTFLMAO
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 09:38 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Maybe it will be proven that he's a big fan of Gore, Soros, Matthews, Alinksy, MSNBC, The View and NPR.

Maybe. we'll see.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 09:39 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

What does 'prejudice and bigotry' have to do with this nut job trigger man?

Probably nothing. The sheriff mentioned that, but we certainly can't say that the shooter was actively involved in politics. I doubt that he was an avid listener of Rush or Glenn. There is no evidence that he hung out on conservative blogs.
He is, in your words, a nut job.
I understand the frustration of the sheriff about how incendiary language can lead to tragic results. But the shooter seems to have lived in his own dreams.

I am not sure how anything could have been done about that.