Chocolate Red Wine

Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:10 pm
I was given a bottle of this kind of wine, for Christmas. Tonight I gave it a try - poured some in an old mayonaise jar and slowly sipped it. The wine portion seemed somehow like vodka, maybe. The chocolate part was excellent. Do I want more? Hell no.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 4,540 • Replies: 14
Topic Closed
No top replies

boomerang

Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:17 pm
I can see having some chocolate with red wine but I don't think I'd like them mixed together beforehand.
CalamityJane

Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:21 pm
That doesn't sound right.

In Germany, we have dark chocolate pralines filled with cognac and they're
excellent. Then there is Mon Cheriè - chocolate pralines filled with a cherry and cherry liquor, also very good.
tsarstepan

Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:21 pm
@boomerang,
These items are great when consumed separately. I'm not too compelled to grabbing a bottle of the two fused together.

To be fair, I'd rather eat chocolate and skip the wine if given a choice between chocolate, wine, or chocolate wine.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:25 pm
@CalamityJane,
mmmm I love brandy beans - one of my favourite parts of Christmas
0 Replies

Ragman

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 12:05 am
In all fairness, you can't tell how good or bad it is until you actually taste it. It's available in many winestores and some super markets in USA. My ex-g/f had some as a gift. I love decent wines and frankly it wasn't at all awful. I wouldn't have it that often, but it wasn't as bad as it sounds.

ChocoVine is the brand name and it combines French Cabernet with Dutch chocolate:

http://chocovine.com/welcome.htm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 05:58 am
ChocoVine does not taste at all like any wine I have tasted, discounting the chocolate. It treats my taste buds like gin or vodka and I don't enjoy it. My wife rarely drinks. Neither does my son. Dogs aren't allowed chocolate. I don't have a cat. What to do. (eyeing the sink)
Ragman

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 06:35 am
@edgarblythe,
Very many times I have a merlot, a pinot noir or a Cabernet Sauvignon and then have dark chocolate with it. Mmmm! This one melds them together, as would any cordial. In fact, it's made by DeKuyper, the leading cordial mfr.
BTW, its loaded with anti-oxidants amd opthjer healthful nutrients

"A chocolate and red wine blend that winds up like a thicker version of Baileys."

Here's a great link to a cooking show that explains hiow to use it and belnd it to get the maximum from it (think cheesecake topping):
http://chocovine.com/media-balancingact.html

BTW, you provided a good hint as to where to go with it. On the link I provided you before, it provided suggested mixer recipes. You can add a liquer(sp?) or vodka or kahlua and make a good mixed drink with it. Perhaps try adding vodka and push it more into the direction you want it.

Admittedly, it's an acquired taste and one that you just don't expect. Think of a Kahlua sombrero but not quite as sweet or sticky. Why not cook with it? It's creamy. I'd be thinking of either a pasta or savory meat recipe that it would benefit from it.
mismi

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 06:44 am
@Ragman,
Chocolate and wine can be paired and be quite good. The first time a friend told me, I didn't believe it. She brought it to our next spades game. When you get the right balance - it is quite yummy.

http://wine.about.com/od/winerecommendations/a/winechocolate.htm
djjd62

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 06:48 am
Ragman

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 06:55 am
@djjd62,
Thanks! That was an awesome clip. That voice came from that young man? Wonder what those lyrics mean? It's compelling to watch and hear but the words don't add up.
djjd62

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 07:05 am
@Ragman,
it's said to be about racism
Ragman

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 07:10 am
@mismi,
You've nailed it with that link. Someone needed to carry this belend off better than ChocoVine did (DeKuyper's cordials are generally too sweet).

From, mismi's link is the best suggestion, IMHO, for a better taste arrangement than Chocovine delivers:

5. Green & Black's Espresso and Dark Chocolate
This bar of chocolate, with a 67% cocoa content and coffee beans to boot, brings some serious tannins to the table, we knew we were in for a serious red wine combo. The red wines that offered the best pairing combinations, were not surprisingly an accomodating California Pinot Noir and a no non-sense Cabernet Sauvignon. Both wines were able to pick up the mocha mix in the chocolate, by bringing it into a slightly sweeter palate setting. One taster noticed a "splash of sweetness" as soon as the wine was in contact with the chocolate.

6. Green & Black's Dark 70% Chocolate
Green & Black'sI am a big fan of dark chocolate, so pairing dark chocolate with wine is always a fun quest! This 70% dark from Green and Black presented best with the Cabernet Sauvignon and the runner up was the Pinot Noir. The Zinfandel was a "no go," just too much power competition on the palate. The Cab contributed the dark red fruit that was well supported by the slightly bitter chocolate input.
0 Replies

Ragman

Thu 6 Jan, 2011 07:13 am
@djjd62,
interesting diversion of the thread.

I figured that it was connected with a protest over anti-black politics but I couldn't sort out most of ther words. I need to read the lyrics in order to sort it out. Is the 'rain' in the lyrics supposed to be interpreted as a black person's blood or tears or both?
0 Replies

JoanieB

Fri 29 Apr, 2011 04:46 pm
@boomerang,
This wine is just awesome!

JB
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Chocolate Red Wine
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 07:35:33