Road To Super Bowl, 2011. You Can Pretend To Know About The NFL!

jespah

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 08:03 am
So who won the pool, soz or Tico?
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 08:36 am
@jespah,
Soz. She had me on points going in.
Tryagain

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 09:25 am
Wot no cheerleaders!!!

Why were there no Super Bowl merchandise outlets to be found?
The commercials went on longer than WW2.

What a ripoff ... $10 for a beer, $19 a margarita and $5 for a bottled water . Shoot, I was reduced to watering down my margaritas.

GO Dolphins!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 09:30 am
@Ticomaya,
What about the final score, though? I think you were closer. (At one point it was 21-17 Packers and the Packers were in field goal range and I thought "will Farmerman accuse me of being in on the fix if I predicted the score exactly?," but then it kept going from there.)
sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 09:34 am
By the way (I was just reading back to find our respective picks for final score -- I was 24-17 Packers, Tico was 28-21 Packers -- and was re-reading the stuff about injuries in the NFL), what was up with the field yesterday?

That should not have been a collarbone-breaking fall for Woodson, that was pretty standard. I know that the Super Bowl is extra-intense but that was a LOT of injuries for one game.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 09:40 am
Was Tico our big SB winner?

Congrats to him and to soz on having a happy outcome.

Thanks to RJB for all his hard work this NFL season.
spendius

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 10:03 am
@JPB,
I'll second that.

I thought that the half time display was very witty. It was giving the two-fingered salute, goodstyle, to the standards of refined taste to be found in English salons and country-house drawing rooms as befits the grandest religious festival of a nation which deliberately and with forethought changed the essential rules of English football, rugby and cricket for no other reason than a need to be set apart from the Old Country with its Anglo-Saxon heritage.

One of our commentators did a sort of "Phew!!" at the end but added that it wasn't to be compared to a show a few years ago. From his demenour I suspected he was referring to Janet Jackson's moment in the crosswires.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 10:22 am
@BillRM,
You know I can only wonder about the mental health of some able2know members when you see the post stating how you can get around countries ISP blocks on internet contents with a vote down.

Adding that beside the free Hotspot VPN software that allow you to download block content from the US, the also free software TOR can be set to give you an ISP address in almost any country in the world.

That is how I am able to download all the wonderful BBC block programs.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 10:29 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
What about the final score, though? I think you were closer.

Yes, I was closer on the final score, but you had more points, and I thought the final score was a tiebreaker.
sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 10:36 am
@Ticomaya,
Could be, I don't remember. We'll see what RJB has to say.

If I win the pool, do I get this

http://www.glennsasscer.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/kiddie_pool.jpg

or this?

http://www.lvye88.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/swimming-pool.jpg
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 10:39 am
Quote:
Four hundred ticketed fans forced to watch game on TVs in stadium

ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) In their zeal to set a Super Bowl attendance record, the NFL and Jerry Jones overlooked one important detail: Making sure all the temporary seats inside mammoth Cowboys Stadium had been inspected and were ready for the fans.

A week plagued by poor weather took an embarrassing turn Sunday when the league had to find replacement seats for 850 fans. The NFL also scrambled to find a place for another 400 people to sit inside Jones' $1.2 billion palace and couldn't find any with a view of the field.

"This is absolutely ridiculous," said Glen Long, a Pittsburgh Steelers season-ticket holder who flew in for the game from Baltimore. "That would be fraud anywhere in the world if you sold tickets to an event that you knew you didn't have. That's just wrong."

Actually, the seats had been installed in six temporary sections, but they went up so late that the fire marshal didn't have time to inspect them, according to a police officer standing near an affected area who wouldn't give his name and an explanation of the situation provided to several fans.

The officer said the winter storms that struck Dallas earlier had set back work on the temporary seats.

That didn't matter to fans who felt they had been deceived by the league and Jones, the Dallas Cowboys owner who had hoped some 105,000 people would watch the game inside and outside the stadium. To bolster the crowd, there were $200 tickets that provided nothing more than a chance to watch the game on video screens set up in outdoor plazas.

That didn't work out, either: Attendance was announced at 103,219, just short of the record 103,985 who turned out at the Rose Bowl for the 1980 Super Bowl.

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 01:39 pm
@Ticomaya,

it's inexcusable that those seats were not ready...
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 02:00 pm
@Ticomaya,
Congratulations to Tico and Sozobe for successfully navigating the Packers through the Super Bowl. The final score was 31-25. Tico had predicted 28-21 while Soz said 24-17. So Tico wins.
There was another game which I invented to keep players here interested after their picks of the Super Bowl champs had been eliminated. We collected points for correct picks in the the playoff games over the last month: 1 point in the Wild Card, 2 in the Divisional, 5 in the Conference and 6 in the Super Bowl.
Soz went into the game yesterday with 13 and ends at 19. Johnboy was at 19 and had 0 yesterday. So Soz and Johnboy tie.
So I guess it was, by all accounts, an exciting game. I won't see AndyClubber until Wednesday. He was probably a bit devastated but will have to admit that the Packers deserved to win. I believe that Green Bay's defense forced Ben to turn the ball over 3 times, resulting in 3 scores.

So that wraps this up for a year. Thank yall for participating. Maybe we will do it again next season if the players and the owners can settle their labor dispute that could result in a lockout.
I am going digging for my baseball glove. MLB starts March 31st. We have an A2K Fantasy Baseball thing every year on Yahoo, I believe. I don't run that but whoever sets it up will decide whether to set the league size to 10-12-14 players. Details later!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 02:08 pm
Congratulations to the Tique, good work to Soz, fine show all around by Realjohnboy!

Tico gets the swimming pool cake -
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIJOl3OzCX8ZAGqFXSo0KBGK5AyqL_0QghFVEWlTVbThuGLOgGpg
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 02:27 pm
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
t's inexcusable that those seats were not ready...
Not only that, but that there was no plan on game day for fully solving the problem, and no attempt was made to warn ticket holders. Reports I saw have it that of the many hundreds were found seats many of these people missed at least the first quater in the process. The 400 represents those who could not be found seats/sky boxes, and all that is being offered in refund is the printed price of about $900 even though most people paid a 2-3 grand for them on the black market....and some got some free food as well. A limited few ended up in a much better situation than they paid for.

The NFL said that there were made aware of the problem mid week but that the situation fell through the cracks. They hold Jerry Jones fully responsible.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 02:49 pm
Quote:

The first runaway hit among this year's Super Bowl commercials was leaked to YouTube three days before the game, featuring a child in a Darth Vader costume who seemingly uses the Force to start his dad's car.

It was downhill from there Sunday, with Richard Lewis replacing Betty White, pointless violence filling in for wit and a tasteless streak that should cement at least two of this year's ads on all-time worst lists. Armchair Mad Men complain every Super Bowl that the latest collection of ads is among the most disappointing ever. This year, it's a fair assessment.

How bad were the ads?

-- The first two commercials for Pepsi Max featured the same punch line at the end: someone getting hit in the face with a can.

-- LivingSocial.com rekindled memories of the Holiday Inn fiasco of 1997, creating an advertisement with a payoff at the expense of a transvestite.

-- Groupon premiered an amazingly tone-deaf commercial about Tibet. It featured Timothy Hutton declaring "the people of Tibet are in trouble, their very culture is in jeopardy" ... before boasting about the half-off coupon he received at a Stateside Tibetan restaurant.

You know it's a bad year when the perpetually misogynist GoDaddy.com ads don't even register an honorable mention on the worst-of list

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/02/06/MNFA1HJN1J.DTL#ixzz1DJ8RXyn1

Interesting to me is that no one seems to have picked up on that the "women as sex objects" theme was greatly scaled back this year, though many have mentioned that the "men are doofuses" theme was as strong as ever. I am also seeing people like the Fiat commercial about Detroit...A taxpayer supported company spending $10+ million to sell a lie that Detroit is great and when the car they mention as "imported from Detroit" competes against foreign label cars which are actually made in America bothers me, however.

I did not think a lot of the Groupon spots other than they were annoying rather than cute , but reaction has been very negative..one commentator wondering why a company would spend $6 million to lose customers that they already have.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 02:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
It accurs to me that the NFL saying that they knew of the seating problem mid week casts into grave doubt the claim that this is all the fire Marshall's fault. Is there a single soul in Dallas who would choose to be held responsible for 1000 super bowl ticket holders not having seats? Plus the seats were clearly not fully assembled...Somebody should go get his side of the story. My guess is that the assembly was running behind but that Jerry Jones's team never reached out to the Marshall to pre arrange the inspection and never brought in more crew to get the job done. If the NFL knew there was a problem on Wed then the people on the scene knew there was a problem on TUE...there is no way this can't be worked out in 4 days.
farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 03:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
I smell class action suit. Much money will be spent and distributed as a result of Souper Bowl 45.

Shoulda cancelled the fuckin thing, the wrong team won.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 03:18 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I smell class action suit
I think that the NFL is going to put the screws to Jerry Jones, tell him to make it go away now and that he pays all of the costs. This is not the first time that Jones has failed to deliver, remember that the stadium itself was poorly designed and was an embarrassment to the NFL....something about the roof as I recall...

And Jones trying to sell spots to watch tv in and around the stadium for $200 is also going to inflame owners who already hate the bastard. The owners already have enough trouble with being labeled money grubbing, and there is a probable lock out comming in the near future...Jones must have his head up his ass..
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 03:19 pm
@farmerman,
Pittsburgh should have played like Steelers in their last drive of the game.
0 Replies