How do start an awereness foundation?

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 01:48 pm
I recently posted a question on how to find a group or foundation for a disease that affects 1% of the population with not much result. If you have any suggestions please let me know Smile

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 01:59 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
By the way that should have read ' How do you start.......' Smile
Green Witch

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 02:23 pm
Have you searched the web using Google? I did a quick search and many foundations, research and awareness groups. If you scroll to the bottom of this general overview you will see some sources listed with links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

and here is an international group devoted to the disorder:
http://www.schizophreniaresearchsociety.org/Mission.aspx
You can contact them for support groups in your area and places to get more information.
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 03:10 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,

well one of those links is an explanation of the disease and the other seems to a place were doctors go for research of the disease hmmmm not quite what im looking for but ill keep trying Smile
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 03:24 pm
This site has info for finding a local support group, and, if none is near you, how to start a local support group.

http://www.schizophrenia.com/coping.html

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 06:07 pm
@Butrflynet,
Smile i belivve that might be the only group out there I want to tank you for taking the time to find it
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 06:47 pm
A friend was very active in SA -
Schizophrenics Anonymous.

http://www.sardaa.org/index.html

It is a 6 step self help group and they have meetings all over and publish a newsletter.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 07:12 pm
@PUNKEY,

tank you that seem seem like a decent group Smile
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 07:34 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
It's a difficult road to start an awareness foundation (even a small one).

You will need access to a lot of start up money. These nonprofits are like businesses. You will need to establish the group as a nonprofit organization with the IRS.

Perhaps hire a tax lawyer so you won't mess up or miss entire legal paperwork and deadlines.

You will need an office staff and a fundraising group so you can afford to spread your message to a larger audience.

As for a cheaper alternative: The best place to start is with a local college or university where they might have student clubs and organizations. Some colleges allow nonstudents to attend these organizations or you could enroll part time in one of these schools. A student can start up an organization if one doesn't exist that matches your message or need. Sometimes they can even get money for that student organization.
High Seas

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 08:04 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
peter jeffrey cobb wrote:

Smile i belivve that might be the only group out there I want to tank you for taking the time to find it

Your keyboard has no problem finding the letter "H" for "the" and "there", but on 10 occasions you've written "thanks" it dropped the aitch - how come?!
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 08:33 pm
@High Seas,
well when im tinking of something. My thoughts jump from one to another and another its realy hard for me to concetrate on one thing and im ocasionaly interuped by well what i compare it to is an overwhelming conscious having discutions with you. It takes alot of energy for me to write and express whats on my mind and usaly by the time i finish writting the paragraph im so exasusted that I just breath a sign of relif and usaly forget to check spelling or grammar Smile Im not sure if that makes much sense or like an excuse but either way please bear with my poor grammar Smile
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 08:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
wow that does seem like alot of work and funds wich should be predictable that a person on my condition would not have. Well back to plan b and just finding one to join Smile thank you so much for your reply Very Happy
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 04:16 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
That sounds awful - please don't worry about grammar or spelling; you manage to express your thoughts admirably in the circumstances. Are you on any kind of medication? Do you find any drugs or other treatments to be any help? What do your doctors tell you? Take your time answering, this isn't a test Smile
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 09:18 am
@High Seas,
Before i was under a medication that basicaly felt like narcordic it made me drosy and light headed. It slow my thought process enough to were I could focus longer on one subject at a time. It worked in that sense but who realy wants to live the rest of their lifes under the influence....... hmm i guess the best way to explain it is being drunk. If you were told that you were gona have to be drunk for the rest of your life i belive most people would say " hey come on youre gotta be kidding there has to be another way" Well the sad thruth is that to my knoledge there isnt. So felling hopeless i went and registered in clinical trials for a new drug. Unfortanly I im not having much success with it ): But if evrey person that took the trial said ok im just gona tink about me and if it dont work ill leave the trials......... well then the researchers wouldnt have much to go on and we would not advance any in the cure for this disease. Makes sense? Tank you for posting Smile
High Seas

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:43 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
peter jeffrey cobb wrote:

Before i was under a medication that basicaly felt like narcordic it made me drosy and light headed.....So felling hopeless i went and registered in clinical trials for a new drug. Unfortanly I im not having much success with it ):.... Makes sense? Tank you for posting Smile

Hey don't thank me, I'm actually very interested in the topic from a business (i.e. not strictly medical) standpoint and I hardly ever get first-hand info from an actual participant in an experiment, so bear with me for a couple more questions. Do you remember the name(s) of any of these medications?
http://www.nature.com/news/2010/101110/images/drug-big.jpg
Any of these sound familiar? Any of the others in the article and links? http://www.nature.com/news/2010/101110/full/468158a.html

If anything seems too complex, please say so and I'll try to break it down to its components. Thank you in advance Smile

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 11:06 am
@High Seas,
The experimental drug that im under is sponsered by Eli Lilly and and Company. The drug under trial name is H8Y-MC-HBBO. Its under trial in the United States, hmmm deuchalnd and the other 3 countrys are in a language i cant understand. Im not sure if that was the quetion?
High Seas

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 11:22 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Hey good news, this is the most promising drug trial so far. But you don't know if you're on the new drug (code LY 2140023) or any of the others >
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01129674
> so you can't tell yet if the new drug is working or not. It's double-blind, meaning whoever is giving you the pills doesn't know either.
High Seas

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 11:34 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Countries participating in the test in addition to the US are Germany, Croatia, Russia, Japan. The other drugs in addition to the experimental one (code named LY2140023) are Olanzapine (aka Zyprexa), Aripiprazole, Risperidone, Quetiapine. The FDA code for the trial itself is: NCT01129674.
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 11:34 am
@High Seas,
Im past the double blind trial That was for the first 30-60 days im into the 2 year portion of it Smile
High Seas

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 11:38 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Sorry, I didn't know that; so you know for sure you're on the new experimental drug! Do you recognize any of the other drug names?