Ragman

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 09:10 am
@edgarblythe,
humor: Then you could get off (work) Scott-free, right?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 09:26 am
@Ragman,
Smile
djjd62

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 09:28 am
@edgarblythe,
he needs to be more shellfish when it comes to sharing puns Razz
Ragman

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 09:30 am
@djjd62,
OK..then, Shucks! I'll clam up,
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 11:48 pm
@NAGTATAKA,
MOst gases are formulated with the dreaded "E 10 or E 15" configurations. That means that, volumetrically, the refiners have either added 10 or 15% ETHANOL. EThanol is an additive that is supposed to "Grab" air pollutants in the same manner that SOme etheres were doing,(Until some wag discovered that Ethers , especially DIPE and MTBE were big time water pollutants). SO EThanol, which is actually BOOZE, is added to replace the ethers without all the secondary breakdown products (LIKE ANOTHER ALCOHOL) . HOWEVER, ethanol will **** up the plastics in your fuel line , mess up a carburator (If you have an old car that still has a carburator), and, it will grab any moisture and will set up a separate phase layer of water and crud at the bottom of your fuel tank. This will, in time , cause the engine to missfire, fail to start, and will mess up any lines and maybe even your exhaust manifold .

Ethanol formulated gas is every bit as bad (chemically) as the LEad formulated gas of our fathers day.

I search out "Conventional gas" as much as I can for my little Foprd Escape. "Sparky" my Escape, loves conventional gas and doesnt mind if I have to switch to an occasional tank of E10 gas, when I am far afield and dont have a Turkey Hill or some other local gas company around.

E10 will totally ruin any small gas engines you may have (lawn mowers, small or large outboards will die a painful death, and leaf blowers, chainsaws, etc)
NAGTATAKA

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 10:08 pm
@roger,
thanks for the info....
0 Replies

NAGTATAKA

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 12:03 am
@farmerman,
very interesting, thanks
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 12:18 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
HOWEVER, ethanol will **** up the plastics in your fuel line , mess up a carburator (If you have an old car that still has a carburator), and, it will grab any moisture and will set up a separate phase layer of water and crud at the bottom of your fuel tank. This will, in time , cause the engine to missfire, fail to start, and will mess up any lines and maybe even your exhaust manifold .

I didn't know this. It certainly explains the fuel filter problems my '93 Mercury has been having of late. In California I always filled up at a local Chevron. The fuel system in my car has been slowly choking up since moving to ABQ almost 2 years ago and using one of the local discount stations that mixes ethanol in their fuel.

When Michael, my mechanic, did an oil change and fuel system flush about 7 days ago, he said the whole system was all gunked up. He flushed out everything and changed the fuel filter. The car has been running like new for the last week -- no more choking, and jerking motions while driving.

So it sounds like I need to find a Chevron station and start using them again.
farmerman

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 04:39 am
@Butrflynet,
You will no oubt notice that your fuel efficiency goes up also. Ethanol really screws up your mpg.
roger

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 02:14 pm
@farmerman,
If she's in the same sales district as I, it's all going to have the same percentage of ethanol. Actually, I think her county (Bernallio) is the only area of the state requiring emissions testing, so I would almost bet that ethanol is a given.
0 Replies