The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 06:16 am
@spendius,
Just think yourself lucky you don't live in Micronesia, threatened by rising sea levels.
spendius

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 06:30 am
@spendius,
I would guess, off the top of my head, that the trip was the thing and not the pizza. The pizza being merely an excuse to get behind the wheel of a gas-guzzling land cruiser and practice some control freakery in astronaut mode. And to stamp the footprints down hard enough to ensure they last so that the archeologists of the future can examine them much as they do with the footprints of extinct beasts in order to take a guess at the mode of living they endured.

And then there is the need to inform an international audience of the ridiculous performance in a manner conducive to encouraging it to imitate it and thus put up gas prices whilst at the same time complaining about them.

It's a slightly subtler version of the bloke complaining that there are too many cars on the road after being stuck in a jam for an hour or two.

I think traffic jams are a good thing actually. They neutralise the most idiotic section of the population because it's one of the hardest places in the world to cause a nuisance without denting the fender. And having one's insurance premiums increased.

Interesting word is "fender" when applied to other motorists rather than to hot coals rolling out of the fire.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 07:11 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Just think yourself lucky you don't live in Micronesia, threatened by rising sea levels.

I certainly do.

But they have been getting that sort of appeal to their better natures for many years and it has not made one iota of difference. Control freakery is on the verge of becoming an instinct.

They will have to be laughed out of all countenance. Remember the search for Aristotle's lost Book of Laughter in The Name of the Rose. A wonderful book.

Motorists are one of my favourite subjects. As are restaurants. Lingerie too.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 08:48 am
@spendius,
My favourite subject at the moment, is what's going on at the top of the Championship, but I doubt anyone else outside of Wessex is that bothered.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 01:15 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Gas prices are the Achilles Heel of US economic activity due to the distances the planners have arranged it takes place in and the customs associated with cheap gas. One A2ker admitted to a 40 mile round trip to get a pizza for supper.

That can't go on for ever.

It won't, and not as a result of calamity or decline.

I seriously doubt that any pizza place established with the expectation of being in business for much longer than 12 months is depending upon custom from 20 miles away. Chains, at least, take location very seriously, and the odd transplant from the Northeast who has always dreamed of running a pizzeria, despite living out on the grand praries, won't be in business long enough to register a blip on the radar.

The same can be said for any business that depends upon physical traffic. Very few have the luxury of providing goods or services that cannot be obtained elsewhere and are essential for daily life. I suppose there are still General Stores in remote areas that service a wide, but thinly populated area, but they are hardly driving the economic engine of America.

America's untapped oil and gas resources will eventually be tapped. It will take prices that will drive the casual eco-warriors to join with the earth-rapers and drive Greenies out of office and replace them with plundering pirates.

A century later,when these resources really start to reach terminal levels, we will have developed economically sound energy alternatives.

If left to its own dynamics, the market will sort this out with minimal disruption.

The government can only force the transition and injure the economy and the financial positions of its citizens.

spendius

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 01:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The only alternative energy I can see being any use is reduction of demand.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 09:21 pm
@spendius,
Your suffer from myopia I'm afraid
spendius

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 01:24 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Gee! And I was trying to be fair, impartial, unbiased and unprejudiced.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 11:03 am
It seems the latest from the Romney camp is his willingness to take away some tax breaks for the rich by reducing the deductions for second homes.

This guy is lost in his own wealth, and will "never get it."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 10:39 am
Aaaaand Gingrich is out. Finally.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/report-newt-gingrich-officially-drop-presidential-race-144142321.html

(Or, will be out as of next week, but same difference really.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 07:52 pm
Quote:
Sugar Daddies
The old, white, rich men who are buying this election.

http://nymag.com/news/frank-rich/conservative-donors-2012-4/

Quote:
If you want to appreciate what Barack Obama is up against in 2012, forget about the front man who is his nominal opponent and look instead at the Republican billionaires buying the ammunition for the battles ahead. A representative example is Harold Simmons, an 80-year-old Texan who dumped some $15 million into the campaign before primary season had ended. Reminiscing about 2008, when he bankrolled an ad blitz to tar the Democrats with the former radical Bill Ayers, Simmons told The Wall Street Journal, “If we had run more ads, we could have killed Obama.” It is not a mistake he intends to make a second time. The $15 million Simmons had spent by late February dwarfs the $2.8 million he allotted to the Ayers takedown and the $3 million he contributed to the Swift Boat Veterans demolition of John Kerry four years before that. Imagine the cash that will flow now that the GOP sideshows are over and the president is firmly in Simmons’s crosshairs.

4 pages, lots of cross-links

Mr. Rich doesn't appear to be much of a fan of the current U.S. president (not enough walk to go with the talk).

good read overall

raprap

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 08:44 am
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that’s the America millions of Americans believe in. That’s the America I love.

Tautology from a Willard Mitterand Romney stump speech

Rap
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 10:35 am
@raprap,
Sounds just like Willard, all right! Great sounding speeches with no detail on how to accomplish them.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 10:38 am
@raprap,
I keep telling them that America is a belief.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 11:20 am
@spendius,
A Romney like statement.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 05:22 pm
@ehBeth,
CBS did an item last week about 15, I think, oligarchs settling the matter. If the ads work there is no other possibility.
0 Replies