The Republican Nomination For President: The Race For The Race For The White House

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 06:23 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Will there be a challenge to Obama or a run by an independent?

I needed a hook for the title. No, if someone wants to talk about a potential Dem challenge to Omama or a run by an Indy (Michael Bloomberg?), feel free.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 09:45 am
I'm going to go out on a limb and make a finite prediction (so people can point out how wrong I was later)... I think Romney will end up being the Republican Nominee in 2012.
sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 12:10 pm
I think Romney will look good for a while in the earlier stages but then will be eclipsed -- think Hillary Clinton (or Romney pt. 1, for that matter). He's one of the saner ones and has a good stockpile of money but there's something about him that just fails to connect when push comes to shove. He's seen as too smooth, too calculating.

It's somewhat possible that he will manage to overcome that this time. It depends on who he's up against I think. He'll look better compared to some possible opponents than others.

In addition to the people already mentioned, I think Pawlenty has a real shot at it.

I just don't think Sarah Palin can pull it off.

Huckabee is interesting.

I think Newt Gingrich is a "no." His personal story is a real liability and I think would get a lot of play from opponents in the primaries, and he has this whole insidery thing going that I think won't work in the current climate.

I think it's possible that a dark horse will emerge late in the game, as people look at the possible candidates and despair. Maybe someone already on the radar who hasn't been given much of a chance, or maybe someone who is mostly off the radar entirely right now.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 12:14 pm
@sozobe,
Let us not forget that Romney's religion is absolutely unacceptable to millions of right-wing voters. And not exactly a turn-on for millions more.

The idea that the Fundie block will back Romney just doesn't have a lot of evidence to back it up. And on the other hand, there's too much memory of his time as Gov of Mass. for the fiscal Cons to really believe that he'll be a strong Conservative for them. So who exactly is his constituency?

Cycloptichorn
rosborne979

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 12:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Hey, my crystal ball says Romney, and I'm sticking with it for no good reason. Smile

Besides, the question isn't who can appeal to the most voters, it's who can appeal to the most voters in comparison to the other candidates, so it all depends on who else is out there at a given moment in time.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 01:01 pm
People are writing off Perry, but he may get there by process of elimination, rather than popularity.
engineer

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 01:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
That mirrors my thoughts on Perry. He is the least offensive to the widest constituency.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 01:16 pm
have the dems decided who they're gonna run this time around?
Irishk

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 01:24 pm
Poll: 67% of GOP would support Huckabee as nominee, 49% would support Palin

...or, bookmark
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 01:27 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

have the dems decided who they're gonna run this time around?

Good question!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 01:39 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Let us not forget that Romney's religion is absolutely unacceptable to millions of right-wing voters. And not exactly a turn-on for millions more.

With Glenn Beck currently being a Mormon, I don't see Romney's religion as a problem for the RW voters that watch Fox.

Of course they might not trust Romney because he doesn't act like Beck does.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 02:44 pm
okie wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

One of the more important faces of
AMERICAN CONSERVATISM BEYOND 2010

http://www.hermancain.org/images/hdr-default.jpg

http://www.hermancain.org/
The real future for blacks and other minorities have been and will continue to be the Republican Party. Conservatism offers the real future of opportunity and freedom, instead of the hopelessness of mirages and promises of being taken care of on liberal plantations.

I can't wait to see how many lies liberal progressive democrats fabricate about Cain in an effort to derail his bid early on.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 03:35 pm
Gov. Daniels of Indiana is a potential candidate if he decides to run. He doesntt bring a lot of baggage. The problem he will have is the fact that he is a relative unknown, outside of Indiana.
roger

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 03:38 pm
@mysteryman,
Well, they once asked "Jimmy Who?".

Heard anything about Jim Demint? He's pretty much name brandTea Party.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 03:45 pm
@roger,
Mysteryman and I have come up with a list of 24, I say 24, names of Repubs who have been mentioned. We are working on posting that later on today.
Stay tuned for the B through T list.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 04:20 pm
I'll be staying tuned on this thread and with luck not saying much, just reading. I favor some over others, but I'm not a republican/independent/libertarian* voter, so my approval would likely be opposite of what will work for the GOP on election day. I suppose my voter status could change if the dems go crazy, or I do.
Bloomberg interests me, but I don't know enough, and, besides, he said he's not running.

Others of you are apt to have more insight re the numbered 24, re the GOP goalpost.

*Well, I've held some republican, independent, libertarian views. But, realistically, chances are low that I'll vote GOP.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 04:30 pm
@mysteryman,
Out of the four you mentioned, I like Huck and Romney; depending on who runs against them, they have a good chance to get my vote - if they run.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 04:34 pm
@rabel22,
I'm not a liberal, and I don't want them to run Palin, because she will take away from other serious contenders.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 04:35 pm
@Setanta,
That seems consistent with the title of this thread.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 04:38 pm
@rosborne979,
Yeah, that makes sense to me too!
0 Replies