My Return of the Kings Review-----Possible Spoilers

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:22 pm
Return of the Kings. First of all, what stunning graphics. Truly incredible. The battle with the oliphaunts just plain rocked. Then the story...of course it was genius, because of Tolkien.....but still, Peter Jackson carried it out unbelievably. Without too many strange additions like Aragorn falling off the cliff in Two Towers. I was dissapointed about how little the character of Denethor was built up. It seemed as if they introduced him, showed him eat while his son was fighting, and then burned him. Not much development. But of course the dialogue rocked. I didn't notice any cheesy lines-at all. They even put the character's singing in their very well, flowed wonderfully. But then, they had the advantage of working off of Tolkien's Genius. I was dissapointed that there was less Elvish in this one than the others....even though this one was longer.

It was brilliant having the beginning be the story of Smeagol and Deagol and how Smeagol(Gollum) stole the ring and killed Deagol. Gollum was even creepier as he was turning into Gollum than he is as a final Gollum. Even if this beginning didn't seem to have a point except to explain one line further in the movie, it was done well.

When the are at Mt. Doom, they needed to have Gollum save them more like in the books. I was dissapointed that it was Frodo who pushed him off the edge. I liked J.R.R. Tolkien's idea of having Gollum be the hero...puts a nice edge on it.

It also had a terrific ending. Even if it should have ended 2-3 minutes earlier, it didn't include the Scouring of the Shire, which would have expanded the movie a good thirty minutes---too much after the climax.

So, Chuck's Movie Rating.....I would say an A.......could be A+ except for it didn't stick entirely to the original story and the lack of a developed Denethor. Otherwise it was sheer genius.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 727 • Replies: 1
No top replies

innie

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:59 pm
well I loved it!!!

I thought the acting was fantastic, Elijah Wood and Sean Astin espically. The subtle growth of Frodo's need for the ring is great and the scene with Shelob is so well done.

The graphics were flawless, really. The battle scenes are so realistic it's hard to believe some of it is digitalized.

The third book is the only one I haven't read, so I can't judge it against the books. But by itself, it was definitly a tear jerker. The relationships between the hobbits are so touching and the heaviness of the evil and cruelty is so strong and powerful.

The scripts were written really well, no corny lines but it till had enough humor so that the intensity wasn't exhausting.

wow, i loved it!
0 Replies