Thin skin and visible blood vessels

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 06:34 am
I have naturally thin skin on my face - it's always been like this and is not due to ageing. If you looked closely at the area under my eyes, you can see blood vessels. In fact, some blood vessels in the area around the mouth would be noticeable too on closer inspection.

Of course, this doesn't make me look ugly but I wonder why my skin is like this. I don't have any lingering skin issues other than that being very prone to sun tanning (no, I don't like the tanned look). Could the two be related? Would anyone have a clue? While I'm sure this is likely genetic and no cosmetic in the world would change it, I'd love to hear from people who've had a similar concern.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 6,525 • Replies: 8
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 08:55 am
@spidergal,
Hi Spidergal,

Most of your skin type is due to genetics, but skin (and general body structure) is also effected by exposure and use. The skin on your face is mostly affected by weathering and sun, but your palms and feet are a good example of what can happen with lots of use and contact, they can develop fairly obvious callouses and thick areas. Even bone structure can be solidified by lots of use and pounding.

It all depends on what you do with yourself. Increased blood flow throughout the body (due to lots of exercise) can also effect skin tone (and a lot of other things). We are all, partly a reflection of our genetics and partly a reflection of our habits.

spidergal

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 09:03 am
@rosborne979,
Thanks for weighing in, Rosborne.

I know about exercise's impact on skin tone. I have worked out on and off over the year, but never consistently. One thing I've noticed is that rigorous physical activity raises blood circulation to my face, and my cheeks become flushed. I mean they become really red. I think I look doubly pretty then. <smile>

Maybe continuous exercise over a period would even out my skin. Maybe it won't. But I think I should just exercise.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 09:17 am
@spidergal,
spidergal wrote:
Maybe continuous exercise over a period would even out my skin. Maybe it won't. But I think I should just exercise.

Regular moderate exercise over a long period of time will do more good for you than just your skin.

And you appear to still be very young. Time itself will also change you; in a lot of ways.
spidergal

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 09:27 am
@rosborne979,
Yesterday, a middle-aged woman asked me what school I go to. She was shell-shocked when I told her I had a master's degree and currently work.

I'm not as young as I appear, Rosborne.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 09:41 am
@spidergal,
spidergal wrote:
I'm not as young as I appear, Rosborne.

In that case, keep up the good work Smile
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 10:33 am
Do other females in your family have the same thing?

Makeup should be able to even out that look. Go to a major department store's makeup counter and get a consultation.

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 11:19 am
Fair skinned people need to always watch out for excessive sun exposure and the risk of melanoma.
0 Replies

Rhita

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 06:39 am
@spidergal,
When I read about your problem I thought you were another me talking. I also have a light thin facial skin and small blood vessels showing, I hate sun tanning and I look younger than I am. So strange !
0 Replies