quarters = coins?

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 05:08 am

If so, how could inserting coins into a laundry machine be similar to eating M&M's?

Context:

A control group imagined inserting 33 quarters into a laundry machine (an action similar to eating M&M's). Another group imagined inserting 30 quarters into a laundry machine and then imagined eating 3 M&M'S, while a third group imagined inserting three quarters into a laundry machine and then imagined eating 30 M&M'S. Next, all participants ate freely from a bowl filled with M&M'S. Participants who imagined eating 30 M&M'S actually ate significantly fewer M&M'S than did participants in the other two groups.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,854 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 05:10 am
Yes, a quarter is a coin, equal to one quarter of a dollar. You'd have to divine from your text how that could be similar to eating an M & M.
oristarA

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 05:38 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Yes, a quarter is a coin, equal to one quarter of a dollar. You'd have to divine from your text how that could be similar to eating an M & M.

I guess a M&M chocolate bar has 33 quarters. You put a quarter into your mouth (laundry machine) each time?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 06:22 am
M & Ms are not chocolate bars--they are small, sugar-coated chocolate candies, each one about the size of a large pea, flattened.

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2007/01/apple_mandms1.jpg

So, the author is saying that to imagine the act of putting a quarter into the slot of a washing machine in a coin laundry, and to imagine the act of eating an M & M are equivalent. I cannot be responsible, however, for asserting the accuracy of what the author is saying, nor of verifying that the conclusions of the research are correct.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 10:16 am
Imagining food consumption in order to lower actual consumption has been in the news lately. It is touted as a new form of dieting.

Putting coins into a candy machine would measure the "anticipation" of the reward. So the "test" is to measure whether imagining the anticipatory steps to the actual "payoff" i.e. getting and eating the M & Ms, is enough to lower the actual amount of M& Ms eaten. That alone, is not.

Neither is imagining the anticipatory steps and eating just 3 M & Ms.

Imagining inserting the coins and getting and eating 30 M & Ms was the only thing that lowered the actual amount of consumption.

Dieting by fantasy could be a wonderful thing. But apparently, it has to be a full-blown fantasy to work.
oristarA

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 08:20 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Imagining food consumption in order to lower actual consumption has been in the news lately. It is touted as a new form of dieting.

Putting coins into a candy machine would measure the "anticipation" of the reward. So the "test" is to measure whether imagining the anticipatory steps to the actual "payoff" i.e. getting and eating the M & Ms, is enough to lower the actual amount of M& Ms eaten. That alone, is not.

Neither is imagining the anticipatory steps and eating just 3 M & Ms.

Imagining inserting the coins and getting and eating 30 M & Ms was the only thing that lowered the actual amount of consumption.

Dieting by fantasy could be a wonderful thing. But apparently, it has to be a full-blown fantasy to work.

They used laundry machine , not candy machine. The former is used for washing chlothes. That is why I am confused.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 08:43 pm
@oristarA,
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/12/101209-chocolate-obesity-science-mind-diet-weight-loss-eat-food/

Quote:
One group was asked to imagine inserting 30 quarters into a laundry machine—which requires the same motor skills as eating M&M's, the study says

the action of putting a coin into a laundry machine coin slot apparently uses the same physical actions as putting an M&M into your mouth

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/181648/181648,1216083420,11/stock-photo-coin-slot-14911939.jpg

People sometimes refer to eating M&M's as popping them. The same terminology is used in some regions to refer to putting coins in the laundromat coin slot - ''I'm just going to pop a few quarters in the machine''. It's also sometimes referred to as 'feeding the machine''.

Once again, you're running into English idioms. I really think you need to put an English idiom site on your favourites list.
oristarA

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 08:51 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/12/101209-chocolate-obesity-science-mind-diet-weight-loss-eat-food/

Quote:
One group was asked to imagine inserting 30 quarters into a laundry machine—which requires the same motor skills as eating M&M's, the study says

the action of putting a coin into a laundry machine coin slot apparently uses the same physical actions as putting an M&M into your mouth

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/181648/181648,1216083420,11/stock-photo-coin-slot-14911939.jpg

People sometimes refer to eating M&M's as popping them. The same terminology is used in some regions to refer to putting coins in the laundromat coin slot - ''I'm just going to pop a few quarters in the machine''. It's also sometimes referred to as 'feeding the machine''.

Once again, you're running into English idioms. I really think you need to put an English idiom site on your favourites list.

Thank you!
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 08:30 am
Are you sure it was not a candy machine in a laundrimat?

Getting snacks from a candy machine would be a very common scenario.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 08:47 am
OK - I found the story:

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/food/diet-nutrition/2010-12-09-dreamingoffoodt09_ST_N.htm

This is about "repetivie imaging." The inserting of the coins is similar to inserting M & Ms into the mouth.
0 Replies