Dizziness while urinating at night

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 07:24 am
This may sound strange to many, but this is a serious problem I have been facing since last 9-10 years. My age is 31 & I am a male. I wake up to piss late night every day. At that time I am in a sleeping mind which is quite natural. I remain in full control of myself when go the toilet, but the problem is during urinating in the toilet i feel dizziness sometimes. This starts during the urinating period & becomes very high within 15-30 seconds. I have also fallen on the bathroom floor twice in the past for this reason, injuring my forehead & hand though the injury was not major. I completely feel weak during that dizziness period. So i try to hold something like the wall as a support, until i finish urinating. But strangely i never have this problem when I urinate during the day time when I am not in a sleepy mind. So far I have been taking this issue lightly, that's why I have never consulted with any doctor.

If anyone has any idea about this problem, please share his experience & give some suggestions to overcome this problem.

Regards
Ayaskant
Bangalore
India

rosborne979

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 07:49 am
@ayaskswain,
See a doctor.

You could have a blood pressure problem or some other problem that is causing blood flow issues to your brain when you stand up after sleeping.

See a doctor. You should not take medical advice over the Internet when the condition you are questioning causes you to fall down and hit your head. If you had a hangnail internet advice might be sufficient, but in this case not.
ayaskswain

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 07:55 am
@rosborne979,
Thanks ros for your reply. Yes I have low blood pressure. I will consult with a doctor.
mags314772

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 07:56 am
@ayaskswain,
Yes...see a doctor. My husband has the same problem, and fell many times before we got it figured out. There are medications, but we opted for the low-tech solution of keeping a urinal beside the bed so he doesn't have to get up during the night to urinate
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 08:01 am
Yeah, it sounds like low blood pressure/low blood sugar/dehydration, possibly some combo thereof. Definitely see your doctor. Hope you feel better soon.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 08:09 am
@ayaskswain,
ayaskswain wrote:
Thanks ros for your reply. Yes I have low blood pressure. I will consult with a doctor.

Low blood pressure is a common cause of dizziness after being sedentary for a period of time. The usual steps for preventing fainting is to get your body active again before committing yourself to a vertical position. Get up slowly, sit on the edge of the bed for a minute, stretch a bit to get your muscles active and then stand up. And any time you feel yourself getting light-headed you should lean forward and get your head lower than your heart (to keep the blood flowing to your brain), or sit/lie down quickly (to prevent falling).

But only your doctor can identify the root cause of the problem and suggest proper steps to keep you safe. Best of luck with everything.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 10:23 am
Male friend of mine urinates sitting down. He had two daughters and did not want them to fall in the toilet if they were getting up at night, and he forgot to put the seat down. He now goes that way all the time. This might help with the OP's situation.
It's not unusual for adults to wake up in the middle of the night. Your blood sugar could be out of whack. Even having one glass of wine or hot chocolate or eating later in the evening can result in a sugar drop in the middle of the night.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 11:42 am
I have borderline high blood pressure, but my blood pressure still drops if I stand up quickly--it's called orthostatic hypotension (that's hypo, NOT hyper--one means low, the other is high). It's also easy to get disoriented if you have no light on, which might contribute to the problem. Do you have a night light in the bathroom.

That said, falling and hitting your head twice is serious. Definitely talk to a doctor.
0 Replies

ayaskswain

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 01:09 am
Thank you all for your useful comments.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 11:32 pm
@ayaskswain,
ayaskswain wrote:

This may sound strange to many, but this is a serious problem I have been facing since last 9-10 years. My age is 31 & I am a male. I wake up to piss late night every day. At that time I am in a sleeping mind which is quite natural. I remain in full control of myself when go the toilet, but the problem is during urinating in the toilet i feel dizziness sometimes. This starts during the urinating period & becomes very high within 15-30 seconds. I have also fallen on the bathroom floor twice in the past for this reason, injuring my forehead & hand though the injury was not major. I completely feel weak during that dizziness period. So i try to hold something like the wall as a support, until i finish urinating. But strangely i never have this problem when I urinate during the day time when I am not in a sleepy mind. So far I have been taking this issue lightly, that's why I have never consulted with any doctor.

If anyone has any idea about this problem, please share his experience & give some suggestions to overcome this problem.

Regards
Ayaskant
Bangalore
India

Believe it or not, but it sounds like you are experiencing micturition syncope

You sink when you pee.

I have experienced it myself but not chronically as seems to be the case with you.

Perhaps you should see a doctor to rule out other causes, but if it's what I think it is, there is no cure - you should probably sit on the bowl when you urinate at night so that you will not hurt yourself if you fall.

Suggest you google the term or check it out on a medical website like www.webmd.com, but I'm pretty sure this is what you are experiencing.

0 Replies