Lash

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 08:52 am
These radio commentarians were discussing Black Swan, the recent release centering on ballet angst (but rife purportedly with all manner of gruesome torture and an interesting sexual tangle between Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman. Portman, a few have said, should get the Oscar), and the panel was so viscerally affected, I can't decide whether or not to spring for the friggin $50. One said it was too gruesome and the sans-dialogue ballet scenes were interminable. The other said it was one of the best movies he's seen in years.

So, have you seen it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 14,929 • Replies: 32
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 08:58 am
@Lash,
i have no desire to see it, but my fave radio guy was hoping to see it, i'll let you know what he says
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 09:01 am
@Lash,
$50??? Why $50?

The reviews I've read so far have been mixed, too. Looks interesting though.
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 10:57 am
Yes, I want to see it, but will see if with someone who would appreciate it - or maybe alone.

It's not a date-night flick.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 04:40 pm
@sozobe,
California, I think. Two tickets, parking, popcorn and drinks = very close to a fidty.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 07:12 am
@Lash,
If I didn't have immediate money problems this week, I would have already seen it. Darren Aronofsky is such a great director from his mindbreaking debut Pi to his epic millenium spanning film, The Fountain.

I don't mind dialogueless scenes if they're there for a reason. A well done dialogueless scene can imply some kind of emotional desert that's afflicting a character. Some nature scenes can be quite zen like and help bring the viewer to a certain mindset but at some point it could also end up pissing the viewer off and make her or him impatient if the long silent take is too long.

In a thriller, if there is a certain score in the background, a dialogueless scene can ramp up the intensity of a scene until its intolerable.
Lash

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 05:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
I heard the speechless scenes are ballet. My fiance is leaning toward taking me before Friday (fingers crossed).

Thanks for the heads-up on the director. I hadn't heard of him.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 06:02 pm
@Lash,
His most famous films were 2008's The Wrestler with both Oscar nominated performances of Mickey Rourke and Marissa Tormei and his drug addled nightmare, Requiem for a Dream.
Lash

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 07:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh my gosh! Loved Requiem. A little creative in some directorial choices....but I came away with a positive opinion. Thanks. I'll have to try to sit through The Wrestler. I generally dislike boxing and wrestling movies.
George

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 08:32 pm
My son Nigel saw it. He agrees about Portman getting an Academy Award,
but said the film was extremely dark and disturbing. Somewhat squeamish
am I and I have no plans to see it.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 01:07 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Oh my gosh! Loved Requiem. A little creative in some directorial choices....but I came away with a positive opinion. Thanks. I'll have to try to sit through The Wrestler. I generally dislike boxing and wrestling movies.

The Fountain is excellent, too, if you haven't already seen it. We've watched it a couple of times.
Lash

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 03:43 pm
@Irishk,
Thank you. Never even heard of this one. I'm so out of the film loop lately.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 02:15 pm
I will most likely wait for the DVD, but based on prior movies, I will most likely enjoy it.
Lash

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 04:13 am
@McGentrix,
I didn't like it really. I may have been Hype Impaired. My daughter and her friend really liked it.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2010 04:48 am
I see/want to see very few movies these days, but I will go see this one....
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 04:11 pm
Yes, I saw it.
It was great.
Portman deserves accolades. The entire cast was excellent.
Disturbing, sexually explicit, haunting, pitiful, sad.
Not for everyone.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 03:32 pm
I really liked Love and Other Drugs.

I didn't think Black Swan was all that gruesome. I just computed my thrill factor against the ballet scenes I had to watch, factored in enjoyment or lack of same regarding picking out what was real, what wasn't, borrowed plot device from Fight Club, multiplied it exponentially due to hype and came up with a sorta low score.

I did think Portman was awesome.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 12:08 am
so, I saw it....I was hoping to like it more. I have an aversion to horror and I dont like not being able to tell what is real and what is not, which accounts for 90% of my not getting into this movie. Still, it was very well done and I am glad that I saw it. My girls liked it a lot.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 08:23 pm
@Lash,
Saw Black Swan this afternoon. Firstly let me say that I can now forgive Natalie Portman for her god-awful performances in the Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones playing that character who shall remain nameless.

That aside, Aronosky gave his usual brilliant best. Natalie Portman has given her best performance of her career.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the Thurs afternoon screening was almost soldout. This film needs a full national theatrical release. Seeing the ballet on the big screen should be the best way to witness this thriller! A perfect 10 out of 10! :-d
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 08:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Natalie Portman has given her best performance of her career.

Yes, but I certainly liked "Leon/ the Professional" better...