Sextillion is the word with new star discovery

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 10:57 pm
Quote:
Sextillion: Astronomers now say there are 300 sextillion stars. That's 200 sextillion more than previously thought.
By Paul Sutherland, Skymania.com / December 2, 2010

The chance of alien life in space got a fresh boost tonight with the announcement that astronomers have discovered there are three times as many stars in the universe than was previously thought.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Cool-Astronomy/2010/1202/Sextillion-is-the-word-with-new-star-discovery

Now if only we can find a way to get from point A to point B in a single lifetime we'd have so much real estate that we'd never have to worry about foreclosures and overcrowded cities ever again.

Gargamel

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 11:11 pm
Sextillion is also the name of a Martian prostitute I once paid for the best night of my life.
manored

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 08:28 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Now if only we can find a way to get from point A to point B in a single lifetime we'd have so much real estate that we'd never have to worry about foreclosures and overcrowded cities ever again.
Well, yeah. I think humanity's salvation will be the colonization of other planets.

But besides moving quickly we also need the technology to survive in ultra-harsh enviroements, otherwise only earth-like planets will be usefull, and those are one in a gazillion.
jespah

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 08:28 am
@Gargamel,
Until you learned she'd given you asteroids.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 08:46 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Sextillion: Astronomers now say there are 300 sextillion stars. That's 200 sextillion more than previously thought.
I've been meaning to email them and tell them I counted 100 sextillion more than them. Too late now...oh well...
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 08:47 am
@manored,
Quote:
I think humanity's salvation will be the colonization of other planets.
Any idea how we might do that ?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 11:32 am
@Ionus,
With this political climate all we have is wishful thinking. Maybe in the next 4 or 5 generations will the powers that be might start thinking about a possible off world great exodus and on that day add a touch of Murphy's Law and that's when an unaccounted for 15 mile long asteroid crash into the Atlantic Ocean near South America leading to the next extinction level event.
Ionus

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 09:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
It is certainly dangerous to hang around on any planet for too long, but I cant see anyway of travelling to other worlds apart from making our own world and enjoying the journey more than the destination.
manored

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 09:52 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
I think humanity's salvation will be the colonization of other planets.
Any idea how we might do that ?

I think the answer is on physics... but im no physicist...

http://talklikeaphysicist.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/image-807.jpg

I think the r with the arrow on top is a vector and the t is time. Thats about it =)
High Seas

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 10:18 am
@manored,
That's just the Schrödinger equation - it's been around since 1926:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/6/6/9/669af42da9477b18a96ad08067cd862e.png
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 10:45 am
@tsarstepan,
Murphy was an optimist.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 11:42 am
Sextillion, denotative of cotillion... a soiree of sexers. I think I'll put this on my next party invitation.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 12:27 pm
@Lash,
It'll be the splash of the Society Pages.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 07:15 pm
@manored,
I've had a real close look at some of the possibilities put forward (I lack the imagination to come up with my own) and none of them are viable.

Worm Holes - these exist in the foam of space time as the smallest bubble possible (note I did not say imaginable because it is far smaller than that). To make one the size of a basketball will take the energy of the sun. How do we enter such a thing and live ? It would be like a black hole. How do we control where it goes ? How do we make it longitudinal instead of spherical ? The basic assumption here is that space is curved and it isnt. It is flatter than flat.

Space Warp - this involves squashing space in front of the ship and spreading it out behind it, so space is covered in a shorter distance. This is reliant on understanding gravity and using it as easily as we now use electro-magnetism. I dont know where to begin to tell you the problems with this.

If all problems are solvable, then we still have time against us. If we can travel huge distances through space we will also be messing with time and this will involve all the paradoxes from Einstein's thought experiments. Time and distance are two ways of measuring the same construct...seperation. Nature wants us to keep our troubled little existance to ourselves.

If we just admitted we are stuck here, we might just take better care of the planet we have. But it will be very difficult to live on in a billion years time, if something doesnt happen before then, and it is mathematically certain we will have at least one major asteroid impact before then. So we should have a long term plan to leave. Just dont imagine we will be going very fast, because we wont be.
manored

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 11:20 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

I've had a real close look at some of the possibilities put forward (I lack the imagination to come up with my own) and none of them are viable.
I imagine, though, that there are some hidden just beneath our nose, but physics just hasnt gotten there yet. Just like the ancients had no idea eletricity existed and could be used, there might be something incredibly usefull hiding that we are about to discover.

Ionus wrote:

If we just admitted we are stuck here, we might just take better care of the planet we have. But it will be very difficult to live on in a billion years time, if something doesnt happen before then, and it is mathematically certain we will have at least one major asteroid impact before then. So we should have a long term plan to leave. Just dont imagine we will be going very fast, because we wont be.
Well, I dont think any world-leaders are taking the possibility of colonizing other planets as a serious solution to the world's problems. Actualy, sadly, our world leaders havent gotten to the point of thinking of humanity as a whole yet, they still think only in their countries.

I really think humanity cant colaborate towards any goal as long as there are a zillion countries involved in a tug-o-war for money and power =)
Ionus

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 05:38 am
@manored,
Quote:
there are some hidden just beneath our nose
The only thing that seems to offer hope is gravity and the only reason it does is because we have not pinned it down yet.

I still say if it is made of matter it is meant to stay where it is. Otherwise the universe would be a big lump.

Quote:
I really think humanity cant colaborate towards any goal as long as there are a zillion countries involved in a tug-o-war for money and power =)
I think that is the key. Give all peoples a state based on language, religion, history etc and then start to join them, working out differences as you go. That is what they tried to do in Eurpoe but they moved too fast with too many nations.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 06:34 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

It is certainly dangerous to hang around on any planet for too long, but I cant see anyway of travelling to other worlds apart from making our own world and enjoying the journey more than the destination.

That should work.
0 Replies