FBI Nab another nut job wanna be terrorist

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 09:22 pm
Was there any realistic chance that this was was going to be a successful terrorist?

Is a fake truck bomb a "weapon of mass destruction"?

Should agents of the US government EVER be hatching plots to attack america? If so is it fair to feed them to a confused and angry 19 year old to see if he will bite?

Quote:
CORVALLIS, Ore. — Mohamed Osman Mohamud had seemed to be a well-adjusted young American teenager: a solid student whose interests included basketball, girls and the nightlife at Oregon State University, where he studied engineering.

But those who know him say he changed in recent months. He dropped out of school and stopped attending mosque. And, perhaps most tellingly, he began lying about his plans for the future.

“He seemed to be in a state of confusion,” said Yosof Wanly, the imam at the Salman Al-Farisi Islamic Center here in Corvallis, which Mr. Mohamud attended while at college. “He would say things that weren’t true. ‘I’m going to go get married,’ for example. But he wasn’t getting married.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/29/us/29suspect.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp

Quote:

Imam Yosof Wanly said Mohamud did not regularly attend the mosque, but had visited once or twice a month since moving to Corvallis to attend Oregon State University. Wanly condemned Mohamud's effort to detonate a bomb at a Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Portland Friday.

"I know people here know the true reality of the Muslim community here," he said. "It's a sad situation."

Neighbors say Mohamud was doted on by his family but embraced militant Islam not long after his parents split up.

"He was a quiet kid, but with his folks splitting up, who knows?" Adam Napier, who lived next door to Mohamed Osman Mohamud for years told the newspaper.

Mohamud's family moved to the U.S. when he was just 5 and were described as friendly and modern.

Mariam Barre did not wear a hijab and her husband, Osman Barre, reportedly worked as an engineer for Intel. Mohamud appeared to be particularly close to his mother, neighbors said.

"She always talked so good about him. He was just a good kid," said Adam Napier's mother, Stephanie.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/11/28/2010-11-28_neighbors_say_wannabe_christmas_bomber_mohamed_mohamud_embraced_extremism_after_.html#ixzz16db5cI9G

Quote:

But Mohamud seems to have been almost as angry at his family. The FBI affidavit never explains what prompted the Bureau to put Mohamud on the no-fly list, which prevented him from traveling to Alaska last June and got him an FBI interrogation instead, where he admitted that he had originally been planning to go to Yemen where he knew someone. It does say however that Mohamud later emailed the undercover FBI operative to say, "I was betrayed by my family, I was supposed to travel last year but Allah had decreed that I stay here longer." And according to the FBI report, in a goodbye video Mohamud recorded on Nov. 4 after a practice detonation, he had a specific message "to my parents, who held me back from jihad in the cause of Allah, I say to them, if you make allies with the enemy, then Allah's power will ask you about that on the day of judgment."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2033372,00.html#ixzz16dbbKBDK

I figure this young man needed some intervention before he got himself into some trouble....inducing him into a fake terrorist plot and then arresting him for trying to us a "weapon of mass destruction" might not have been the best way to do this.

Again we see the citizens abused at the hands of the state.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 10:27 pm

This was close to a mirror-image reflection
of an attempt to do the same thing in Times Square, which also did not go off.

CONGRATULATIONS to the citizens of Portland, Oregon
on having NO explosion at the Christmas Tree celebration.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 12:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

BS...IN the NY case the proclaimed terrorist did the planning and procurement, which was not the situation here. In the Portland case the government did all the work, and then blaimed a confused sap for it.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 12:19 am
Quote:
As I said, it's early. The sun's not even up. All anyone has to go by at the moment is the FBI affidavit that was used to support the criminal complaint signed by U.S. Magistrate Judge John V. Acosta.

But that affidavit notes the following:

-- When Mohamud could not get in touch with terrorists overseas, the FBI contacted him.

-- While Mohamud "spent months working on logistics," Denson's story notes, and "allegedly identified a location to place the bomb," he "mailed bomb components to the FBI operatives, who he believed were assembling the device." Does that mean Mohamud did not build the bomb?

-- The FBI "operative" was right there with Mohamud on Nov. 4 at "a remote spot in Lincoln County, where they detonated a bomb concealed in a backpack as a trial run for the upcoming attack."

-- And the FBI transported Mohamud to Portland so that he could carry out the deadly bombing.

It's early. Very early. I'm as spooked as anyone by what might have happened last night at Pioneer Courthouse Square. And I am incredibly thankful the FBI and our national security forces are on guard.

But it's still unclear how close Mohamed Osman Mohamud would have gotten to Portland's "living room" if no one had ever shown any interest in his plans.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/index.ssf/2010/11/jihad_at_pioneer_courthouse_sq.html

I could be wrong, but I dont think that he either built the fake bomb or came up with the plans for the fake bomb. I also bet that he did not build the toy bomb.

Will be awaiting further details, but in these cases almost inevitably the government comes up with a lot less than promised, weeks or months after arrest we find out that the claimed "evildoer" we never much of a threat.
roger

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 01:14 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
When Mohamud could not get in touch with terrorists overseas, the FBI contacted him.

Seems like right there, he lost any claim to entrapment. Same for "spent months working on logistics. He wasn't enticed into doing anything he would not otherwise have done.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 01:22 am
@roger,
Quote:
Same for "spent months working on logistics.
Spent months doing what exactly, at first glance it looks like the government did almost all of the work.

I am not claiming that he will be able to claim entrapment, I am claiming that our government is morally reprehensible..This guy needs a shrink, not getting set up for a terrorism charge. I am looking to see if the government has anything other than his delusions, which they so helpfully pushed along.

A tiny toy bomb was supposed to be the test for a "weapon of mass destruction"?? Please, if this guy was that far into la-la land he was not a threat to anyone.

The governments argument has huge holes in it,and lets face it, their track record is one of ineptitude and dishonesty when it comes to catching "terrorists".
roger

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 01:24 am
@hawkeye10,
I can only say our opinions differ.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 05:47 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Should agents of the US government EVER be hatching plots to attack america?

why not, it worked so well in WTC 93, Oklahoma and 9/11
Shocked
Twisted Evil
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 05:50 am
@hawkeye10,
David wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:
BS...IN the NY case the proclaimed terrorist did the planning and procurement, which was not the situation here.
In the Portland case the government did all the work, and then blaimed a confused sap for it.
CONFUSION to our enemies !

David
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 08:15 am
The FBI didn't contact this kid out of the blue. He had been writing to a contact in Pakistan for a year and a half, this contact had tried to put him in touch with someone who could help him get to Pakistan but the email address was wrong. Thats when the FBI started writing him.

He had also written several articles for "Jihad Recollections" and "Inspire". (Which might have been why he was on the no-fly list.)

He was intent on "becoming operational" as he put it. It sounds like the FBI has quite a bit of recorded information -- conversations where they tried to disuade him from blowing up the event, telling him that there were other ways to help the cause.

I don't know how many people someone has to intend to kill before you can consider it "mass destruction" but he was parked across the street from 25,000 people, many of them children, with a bomb he believed would level several city blocks. He dialed the phone he believe would detonate the bomb. When it didn't blow up he got out of the car hoping for a better signal and dialed it again.

I'm glad the FBI intercepted his email.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 01:51 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
When it didn't blow up he got out of the car hoping for a better signal and dialed it again.

he was encouraged to do so by the agent who wanted an easier arrest...it was not the perps idea

Quote:
I don't know how many people someone has to intend to kill before you can consider it "mass destruction" but he was parked across the street from 25,000 people
there was no weapon that was going to kill, and your number is only exaggerated by a factor of 1.5, but at least you are doing better than par...... in these kinds of cases where the government claims tend to be off far more than that

Quote:
Mohamud was arrested, Yin pointed out, after he had dialed a cell phone number thinking he had detonated a bomb in van parked at Pioneer Square.

The block was filled with as many as 10,000 people who had gathered for a tree lighting ceremony

I am not by any means the only one who is troubled by the FBI's behavior here

Quote:
He was "predisposed" to commit the crime, therefore not entrapped, the FBI says. But would this headline-making terrorist takedown have happened without the assistance and encouragement of the FBI?
That scenario was partially repeated on Friday, except for the bomb switch. Mohamud was arrested pressing useless buttons, trying to detonate a fake bomb in a parked van. He's now accused of "attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction," and is to be arraigned today. "This defendant's chilling determination is a stark reminder that there are people - even here in Oregon - who are determined to kill Americans," said Oregon U.S. Attorney Dwight Holton.

Why was Mohamud so "determined" - if in fact he was? It was about his parents, according to court records, the Oregonian reports today. They didn't want him to do violent jihad. He was a teenager angry at mom and dad. Now he's a teen facing life in prison. He chose the course. But whose map was it
http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2010/11/mohamed_osman_mohamud_accused.php

but the USAG says it is all kosher, so it must be *sarcasm*
Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) - Attorney General Eric Holder said Monday that federal agents acted properly in the case of a Somali-American man who allegedly tried to blow up what he thought was a van full of explosives in Portland, Ore., during the city's Christmas tree lighting ceremony
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/110985024.html
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 03:51 pm

Mohamud was a naturalized citizen ?
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 03:59 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
yes..should agents of the government be setting up a obvioulsy disturbed 19 year old citizen in this way? Spending a year and a half on the project?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 04:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
yes..should agents of the government be setting up a obvioulsy disturbed 19 year old citizen in this way?
Spending a year and a half on the project?
I do not and have never supported the reasoning of the M'Naghten Rule.

Treat lunatics the same as other criminals, for our safety.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 04:09 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

interesting...civilized folk tend to think that the proper response to illness is to attempt to get them help, finding a criminal charge for them so that we can lock them up is a poor second rate option.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 04:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
David wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
interesting...civilized folk tend to think that the proper response to illness is to attempt to get them help,
finding a criminal charge for them so that we can lock them up is a poor second rate option.
SELF-defense, and defense of our loved ones,
is the paramount criterion and what shoud be the CONTROLLING consideration,
not the benefit of the homicidal maniac.

Let 's think and plan in terms of helping the GOOD guys,
NOT the bad guys. Let 's subordinate ` their well-being to ours.

How 's that ?

David
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 04:14 am
Quote:
The arrest in a plot to bomb a popular Christmas tree-lighting ceremony here has renewed focus on the crucial but often fragile relationship that many Muslim communities have with federal law enforcement agencies.

Many Muslim leaders nationwide say they are committed to working with the authorities to fight terrorist threats and applauded the work in Portland. But some say cases like the one in Oregon, in which undercover agents said they helped a teenager plan the attack, risk undermining the trust of Muslim communities that federal agents say is essential to doing their jobs.

The failed Portland plot is one of several recent cases, from California to Washington, D.C., in which undercover agents helped suspects pursue terrorist plans. Some Muslims say the government appears to be enabling and even sensationalizing threats that can lead to backlashes against Muslim communities
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/01/us/01trust.html?_r=1&hp
BillRM

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 09:27 am
@hawkeye10,
My first reaction is the government spend one hell of a lot of money/resources building a case against this lone teenager when charges could had been lay on him far sooner and without building him a fake bomb van and letting him press the button.

Seem most of the efforts was spend for PR reasons not valid law enforcement reasons.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 11:03 am
@OmSigDAVID,
The main problem I had here is charges could had been brought the moment he try to contact terrorists for their aid in creating a terrorist act and there seem little reason to play with the kid/man and build him a fake bomb van for over a year except for the PR value.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 11:31 am
@boomerang,
So am I but that he was a potentially dangerous person that we are fortunate is no longer free really says nothing at all about the way in which the government built that case (which is what the thread seems to be about to me).

They could have charged him without the fake bomb ploy, and I agree with those who question its moral legitimacy.