bobsal u1553115

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 01:24 pm
Saudi prince says he twice saved Trump from bankruptcy

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20160825-saudi-prince-says-he-twice-saved-trump-from-bankruptcy/

"SNIP............

Saudi billionaire Prince Al-Waleed Bin Talal said he twice saved US presidential candidate Donald Trump from bankruptcy, describing him as a “bad and ungrateful person”.

In an interview with Turkey’s Hurriyet newspaper, the prince said he bought Trump’s hotels after they were acquired by the banks which demanded he repay his debts.

The yacht he used to come to Antalya, southwest of Turkey, is one he bought from Trump when he was threatened with bankruptcy.

Earlier, the Saudi prince called on Trump to immediately withdraw from the presidential race describing him as a disgrace to the Republican Party and America.

..............SNIP"

Hmmmmm .... tRump and Saudis ..... Saudis and Sept 11 .... Sept 11 and New York .... (you following me here) .... New York and Donald tRump .... Donald tRump and the Saudis ....

I'm not saying anything but some people are talking. Not me, but some people. I keep hearing those kind of things. I get them off the internets.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 01:25 pm
@joefromchicago,
Fewer Republicans than Democrats voted against it.

LBJ was a mighty arm twister and without him the Dems would most likely have not helped to pass it, but his influence on Republicans was much less, and he required, and received the help of Everett Dirkson, a Republican.

There's plenty of credit to spread around. No need to say it belongs entirely to one party.

giujohn

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 02:07 pm
@joefromchicago,
Wrong... LBJ fought against it tooth and nail for years and it was Senator Everett Dirksen a republican who championed the Civil Rights Act... The only reason LBJ signed it was because of Goldwater's candidacy.
bobsal u1553115

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 02:23 pm
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 02:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

No need to say it belongs entirely to one party.

Indeed. That's why I didn't say that.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 02:43 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Wrong... LBJ fought against it tooth and nail for years and it was Senator Everett Dirksen a republican who championed the Civil Rights Act... The only reason LBJ signed it was because of Goldwater's candidacy.

Keep livin' the dream!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 02:51 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Trump is, obviously, making a pitch for the African-American vote,

Well, he did say the words "African-American." And, technically, every sound has a pitch.

ossobucotemp

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 03:02 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Glad the Saudi prince posted this. I'm doubtful full-out Trumpsters will listen but at least the rest of us will have the information now.
0 Replies

snood

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 03:12 pm
@DrewDad,
Amazing. "Obviously" a pitch to African Americans. I just smh....

Every black person I've talked to about it thinks Trump's pitch had little to do with them other than insulting them, and that he was "pitching" to white people who might be moved by Trump's frugase attempts to appear non-racist.

I can't make up my mind if folks like Finn just can't understand, or just won't understand. Is the pitiful ignorance from living in the republican bubble, or is it more willful, like whistling through the graveyard?
ossobucotemp

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 03:21 pm
@snood,
Frugase, tried to look it up as I might adopt it, quite a mellifluous word. So far, I associate it with bananas, but I'm guessing it has a stronger punch as a descriptive word.
snood

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 03:22 pm
@ossobucotemp,
If you try an online slang, or urban dictionary, you'll find it means fake.
ossobucotemp

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 03:29 pm
@snood,
Thanks - I use urban dictionary but this time just googled. Fine word, I like it.
0 Replies

Blickers

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 03:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote Finn:
Quote:
Fewer Republicans than Democrats voted against it.

LBJ was a mighty arm twister and without him the Dems would most likely have not helped to pass it, but his influence on Republicans was much less, and he required, and received the help of Everett Dirkson, a Republican.

There's plenty of credit to spread around. No need to say it belongs entirely to one party.

So why was the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1965 both introduced by Emmanuel Cellar, Democrat of Brooklyn? I mean, if the Republicans were just champing at the bit to get this legislation passed, why didn't THEY ever introduce a single piece of major civil rights legislation since 1900?
0 Replies

Blickers

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 04:17 pm
@giujohn,
Quote giujohn:
Quote:
whether or not the black man is better off voting monolithically for them [Democrats] or if they are better off after 8 years of Obama.

First you tell us that their wages have increased when in fact they have not... you're not beating that drum anymore because I proved you wrong.

You proved nothing, you quoted no facts. I said that African Americans' median weekly pay is higher now than before the crash. The crash began in 2008. Here are the official BLS stats for the second quarter this year and the second quarter in 2007, which was before the crash. Numbers are given in 1982-84 dollars, which accounts for inflation and allows meaningful comparisons between years:
Median Weekly Pay for African-Americans, 1982-84 Dollars
Q2 2007........$273
Q2 2016........$282

So much for your crap that the jobs that African Americans are getting are not as good as the jobs they lost, (along with everyone else), in the crash.

And of course, we still have not heard any reaction to the fact that African Americans, with 13% of the population, have gotten 20% of the new jobs in the past 3 years. I'll refresh your failing memory.
All Races
Q2 2013.......116.572 Million Full Time jobs
Q2 2016.......123.731 Million Full Time jobs
Total Gain.....7.159 Million Full Time jobs

African-Americans
Q2 2013.......13.248 Milion Full Time jobs
Q2 2016.......14.713 Million Full Time jobs
Total Gain.....1.465 Million Full Time jobs = 20.5% of all new jobs

More jobs, higher pay-sounds like a good deal to me.

Where is the proof that Trump can deliver that kind of progress to the black community? I want proof, facts and figures-not Trump inspired lies, because that's all you have delivered so far.
giujohn

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 07:33 pm
@Blickers,
Wrong again...( must be depressing for you to be wrong that often) now I've already stated this once so pay attention this time cuz I'm not going to do it again. According to the Department of Labor Bureau of statistics the average median weekly wage for a black male in 2007 was $600. Are you still with me ... Good, okay now pay attention ... Now take that figure and go to the internet and search for a calculator that will show you how to adjust $600 into today's money... I'll give you a hint it's $703. Now according to July 2016 the average median income for a black male was $704. Now subtract 703 from 704... And what do you get? That's right, $1 very good... But even if we were to use your figures and why the hell we need to use 1982 calculations is beyond me... let's take 282 and now and let's subtract 273... okay now tell me what did you get? Very good, that's right, nine whole freaking dollars. Now most people of average intelligence would say that wages have remained flat...and a $9 increase is not even worth mentioning. But hey, if you just need to win the argument that bad go ahead and take your $9 and you know what you can do with it right? That's right, very good, you got it!!!
bobsal u1553115

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 08:10 pm
Trump campaign chief is registered to vote in Florida at unoccupied home

Source: The Guardian

Donald Trump’s new presidential campaign chief is registered to vote in a key swing state at an empty house where he does not live, in an apparent breach of election laws.

Stephen Bannon, the chief executive of Trump’s election campaign, has an active voter registration at the house in Miami-Dade County, Florida, which is vacant and due to be demolished to make way for a new development.

“I have emptied the property,” Luis Guevara, the owner of the house, which is in the Coconut Grove section of the city, said in an interview. “Nobody lives there … we are going to make a construction there.” Neighbors said the property had been abandoned for several months.

Bannon, 62, formerly rented the house for use by his ex-wife, Diane Clohesy, but did not live there himself. Clohesy, a Tea Party activist, moved out of the house earlier this year and has her own irregular voting registration arrangement. According to public records, Bannon and Clohesy divorced seven years ago.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/26/steve-bannon-florida-registered-vote-donald-trump
cicerone imposter

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 08:12 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Not too surprising. Trump is known for his scams.
bobsal u1553115

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 08:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Finally. An example of voter registration fraud.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 08:59 pm
@Blickers,
1982-84 dollars?! WTF man?
Blickers

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 09:08 pm
@McGentrix,
Yes, McGentrix, 1982-84 dollars. The Bureau of Labor Statistics allows you to view the Median Weekly Earnings per quarter for a many years back. Why do you think they do that?