WikiLeaks about to hit the fan

JTT

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 07:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Both Bradley Manning and the WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange were guilty of recklessly flooding the media with secret information with little apparent concern for what happened subsequently to the people who had been named.

Claptrap, absolute bullshit! This meme has often been floated but, to my knowledge, there has never been any person harmed by the disclosures.

Weigh this against the US, which has many times in many regions, produced kill lists which it gave to various groups - the result, millions have been slaughtered.

Why does this continue, people providing cover with propagandist statements like the one from the Independent? The US is the leader in dirty, in evil, in brutality, in slaughtering innocents around the world.

Quote:
Assassination Nation

Fifty Years of US Targeted ‘Kill Lists’: From the Phoenix Program to Predator Drones

By Doug Noble

“A broad-gauged program of targeted assassination has now displaced counterinsurgency as the prevailing expression of the American way of war.”

–Andrew Bacevich [1]

July 19, 2012 "Information Clearing House" -- This spring the US drone killing program has come out of the closet. Attorney General Eric Holder publicly defended the drone killing of an American citizen [2], while Obama’s counter terrorism czar John Brennan publicly explained and justified the target killing program [3]. And a New York Times article by Jo Becker and Scott Shane chronicled Obama’s personal role in vetting a secret “Kill List.” [4]

This striking new transparency, the official acknowledgment for the first time of a broad-based US assassination and targeted killing program, has resulted from the unprecedented and controversial visibility of drone warfare. Drones now make news every day, and those of us who have been protesting their use for years have heightened their visibility in the public eye, forcing official acknowledgment and fostering worldwide scrutiny. This new scrutiny focuses not only on drone use but also, and perhaps more importantly, on the targeted killing itself – and the “kill lists” that make them possible.

This new exposure has set off a firestorm of reaction around the globe. Chris Woods of the Bureau of Investigative Journalism told Democracy Now! “The kill list got really heavy coverage … newspapers have all expressed significant concern about the existence of the kill list, the idea of this level of executive power.” [5] A Washington Post editorial noted that “No president has ever relied so extensively on the secret killing of individuals to advance the nation’s security goals.” [6] Becker and Shane of the Times pronounced Obama’s role “without precedent in presidential history, of personally overseeing the shadow war …” [7] And former president Jimmy Carter insisted, in a recent editorial in The New York Times, “We don’t know how many hundreds of innocent civilians have been killed in these [drone] attacks, each one approved by the highest authorities in Washington. This would have been unthinkable in previous times.” [8]

Really?

In fact, US assassination and targeted killing, with presidential approval, has been going on covertly for at least half a century. Ironically, all this drone killing now offers us a new opportunity: to pry open the Pandora’s box hiding long-held secrets of covert US assassination and targeted killing, and to expose them to the light of day. What we would find is that the only things new in the latest, more publicized revelations about kill lists and assassinations are the use of drones, the president’s hands-on approach in vetting targets, and the global scope of the drone killing.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article31925.htm

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2013 07:47 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks Beth - I have to admit I'm a little confused how you can be guilty of espionage, but not of aiding the enemy. I thought that was the whole point of espionage - otherwise it's the lesser charge of disclosing classified information.

The ex-Colonel made an interesting point about presidential pardons too.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 08:21 am
Bradley Manning has been sentenced to 35 years in jail
oralloy

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 08:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Bradley Manning has been sentenced to 35 years in jail

Sounds fair. Now let's give Snowden the same.

Or DroneStrike him.
BillRM

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 09:58 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Now let's give Snowden the same.

For revealing that members of the government had been breaking their oaths to defend the constitution?

Going after members of the government that had broken their oath to defend the constitution from the president to the congress to the courts and the head of the NSA and such people seems to made more sense to me then going after Snowden.

Quote:
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

Quote:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
JTT

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 10:34 am
@BillRM,
Bill sure has your number, Oralboy, and that of a lot of other "patriots".
spendius

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 11:34 am
@JTT,
We all know what patriotism is JT. Especially the armchair variety.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 01:03 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
For revealing that members of the government had been breaking their oaths to defend the constitution?

The only people who broke that oath are Manning and Snowden.

Since in both cases, their treachery likely will result in innocent people losing their lives or freedom, I see no problem with the US government killing the both of them.

BillRM wrote:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The government only accesses the database of phone metadata after obtaining a warrant from a judge.

Transmissions over the internet are like transmissions over open radio. The government is free to listen to open broadcasts if it wishes to do so.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 01:09 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Transmissions over the internet are like transmissions over open radio. The government is free to listen to open broadcasts if it wishes to do so.
Interesting. Here, the privacy of correspondence, posts and telecommunications is inviolable.
McTag

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 01:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Quote:
Here, the privacy of correspondence, posts and telecommunications is inviolable.

But it's been shown recently that they are being routinely and methodically violated.
BillRM

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 01:33 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
The government only accesses the database of phone metadata after obtaining a warrant from a judge.

Bullshit as proven by the government own leak papers. Of course the claim is when it happen it just an accident.

Quote:

Once more bullshit that is no more true then with old fashion analog phone communications.

Footnote in the days of analog cell phone calls[open radio] to listen in to them was a crime in and of itself even those they was over the air and non encrypted in any way without a warrant.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 06:43 am
@McTag,
Quote:
But it's been shown recently that they are being routinely and methodically violated.

But it for our own good isn't it? Elections are a farce otherwise.

Jungle drum messages and smoke signals were routinely intercepted. Many private conversations have been secretly recorded and filmed.

And there is dysfunction to worry about. The spreading of false information (hoaxes) causing numerous expenditures which added together foots up to a large expenditure. The separation of each incident misses the real point which is the large expenditure.
spendius

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 06:49 am
@spendius,
Anybody who thinks Mr Snowden revealed a dramatic discovery is an old-fashioned sentimentalist.
JTT

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 09:56 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Anybody who thinks Mr Snowden revealed a dramatic discovery is an old-fashioned sentimentalist.

Dramatic in the sense of revealing another band of criminals, Spendi. Surely that's enough.
spendius

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 01:42 pm
@JTT,
What I meant JT is that anybody with a modicum of intelligence knew it was happening simply because it is possible that it can happen.

The idea that it protects us from terrorism is laughable and fit only for the calming of nervous aunties. It is an employment and career opportunity for no other reason than that it can be. And it is obvious that its capacity to be extended is demonstrated by the investment in the service of the extensions and the associated contracts: the sight of which would induce Rip Van Winklism in all but the most dedicated.

It is a perfectly natural occurrence when human nature meets electricity. One might be surprised, astonished even, if it wasn't happening. Electricity has traditionally been seen as "uncanny". And a most wonderful temptation.

All Mr Snowden has done is put some faces out of joint. The next big thing will ease it from our consciousness. A virus, say, that lays us out like the air extraction fans in a molasses plant lays out flies when the morning shift starts them up. Or news of a giant asteroid which is closing in on us at six inches a millennium.

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 06:10 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
What I meant JTT is that anybody with a modicum of intelligence knew it was happening simply because it is possible that it can happen.
you have noticed I am sure that all failures of systems are currently being blamed on the humans where were around at crash time, them being labeled "rogues" . The silliness employed to evade reality has gotten extreme, is a riot.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 12:08 am

I see there is to be a feature film about Wikileaks released next month, starring Peter Capaldi.
Current events must be overtaking production.
hingehead

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2013 02:16 am
@McTag,
Quote:

I see there is to be a feature film about Wikileaks released next month, starring Peter Capaldi.

I wonder if any of the protagonists would be tempted to change anything if they had a little blue box.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2013 11:10 pm
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/14/d5/9c/14d59cfdda6bca1b872a55da294baec9.jpg
0 Replies

MableSoffer

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 04:00 am
@msolga,
In your mind what is a GPS jammer and what can it do to help you? Only when you are in the situation that the GPS jammer is need you will understand how important and useful such kind of device is. Gaining more knowledge of the device? Just start at to buy gps jammer.
0 Replies