Jury Convicts Tom DeLay In Money Laundering Trial

djjd62

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 05:30 pm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/24/AR2010112400545.html?hpid=topnews
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2010/11/24/PH2010112406131.jpg

Jury convicts Tom DeLay in money laundering trial

By JUAN A. LOZANO
The Associated Press
Wednesday, November 24, 2010; 6:11 PM
AUSTIN, Texas -- Former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay - once one of the most powerful and feared Republicans in Congress - was convicted Wednesday on charges he illegally funneled corporate money to Texas candidates in 2002.

Jurors deliberated for 19 hours before returning guilty verdicts against DeLay on charges of money laundering and conspiracy to commit money laundering. He faces up to life in prison on the money laundering charge.

After the verdicts were read, DeLay hugged his daughter, Danielle, and his wife, Christine. There was no immediate comment from him or his attorneys.

Prosecutors said DeLay, who once held the No. 2 job in the House of Representatives and whose heavy-handed style earned him the nickname "the Hammer," used his political action committee to illegally channel $190,000 in corporate donations into 2002 Texas legislative races through a money swap.

DeLay and his attorneys maintained the former Houston-area congressman did nothing wrong as no corporate funds went to Texas candidates and the money swap was legal.

The verdict came after a three-week trial in which prosecutors presented more than 30 witnesses and volumes of e-mails and other documents. DeLay's attorneys presented five witnesses.

Prosecutors said DeLay conspired with two associates, John Colyandro and Jim Ellis, to use his Texas-based PAC to send $190,000 in corporate money to an arm of the Washington-based Republican National Committee, or RNC. The RNC then sent the same amount to seven Texas House candidates. Under Texas law, corporate money can't go directly to political campaigns.

Prosecutors claim the money helped Republicans take control of the Texas House. That enabled the GOP majority to push through a Delay-engineered congressional redistricting plan that sent more Texas Republicans to Congress in 2004 - and strengthened DeLay's political power.

DeLay's attorneys argued the money swap resulted in the seven candidates getting donations from individuals, which they could legally use in Texas.

They also said DeLay only lent his name to the PAC and had little involvement in how it was run. Prosecutors, who presented mostly circumstantial evidence, didn't prove he committed a crime, they said.

DeLay has chosen to have Senior Judge Pat Priest sentence him. He faces five years to life in prison on the money laundering charge and two to 20 years on the conspiracy charge. He also would be eligible for probation.

The 2005 criminal charges in Texas, as well as a separate federal investigation of DeLay's ties to disgraced former lobbyist Jack Abramoff, ended his 22-year political career representing suburban Houston. The Justice Department probe into DeLay's ties to Abramoff ended without any charges filed against DeLay.

Ellis and Colyandro, who face lesser charges, will be tried later.

Except for a 2009 appearance on ABC's hit television show "Dancing With the Stars," DeLay has been out of the spotlight since resigning from Congress in 2006. He now runs a consulting firm based in the Houston suburb of Sugar Land.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 05:45 pm
I am hoping for prison time, but don't expect any.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 05:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I am hoping for prison time, but don't expect any.
yeah, I would be ok with house arrest.
kuvasz

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 06:20 pm
@djjd62,
First offense?

Crucifixion.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 06:36 pm
@djjd62,
This the same Juan Lozano who filled the AP wires with lurid tales of this allegedly abused wife? Glad to hear his "reporting" made it as far as Canada:
Quote:
"There were 193 stab wounds inflicted from head to toe," Spence said. "There were wounds to the head, face, neck, chest, abdomen, sexual organ, thighs. These were all inflicted to the front of Jeffrey Wright's body ... consistent with somebody restrained, on his back."...Prosecutors have said Wright tied her husband's ankles and wrists to their bed before stabbing him at their Houston-area home on Jan. 13, 2003. She buried his body in a backyard hole he had dug for a fountain, and cleaned and painted the bedroom ....
parados

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 07:05 pm
@High Seas,
Attacking the messenger High Seas?

It doesn't change the fact that Delay was convicted and will await sentencing for up to 99 years.
High Seas

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 07:09 pm
@parados,
Sure I'm attacking anyone on the firing line - you know full well I was trained by masters, all of them firm in the belief "Always Fire First". <G>
parados

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 07:13 pm
@High Seas,
Your post had absolutely nothing to do with Delay being convicted. It seemed to come out of left field and I can only guess was an attempt to change the subject.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 07:14 pm
@parados,
DeLay is appealing this verdict, as you would know if you had read the actual news. And wait until the "press" gets around to Rosemary's "baby":
Quote:
Rosemary Lehmberg, a Democrat and Travis County District Attorney, said the decision to pursue charges had nothing to do with partisans politics. “This was about holding public officials accountable, that no one is above the law,” she said.
parados

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 07:18 pm
@High Seas,
Of course he is appealing it. But that doesn't mean he wasn't convicted nor does it mean he won't be sentenced while he appeals. In fact there is no guarantee that he can avoid serving his sentence during the appeal.

Quote:
And wait until the "press" gets around to Rosemary
What does Rosemary have to do with it? Delay was indicted by a grand jury and was convicted by a jury. The decision to pursue charges and convict was upheld by 2 groups of citizens acting on facts presented to them.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 07:38 pm
@parados,
He was convicted in a conservative state that elects Republicans automatically.
parados

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 07:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
I wonder if the appeal is really going to be that Politicians launder money all the time.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 11:30 pm
99 years is a lot of time, he didn't just steal a loaf of bread so his family wouldn't go hungry.......
revelette

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 08:22 am
@BillW,
I agree, 99 years is a lot of time. I really don't think he will get that.

Quote:
A jury in Austin found DeLay guilty of money laundering and conspiracy to commit money laundering. Punishment for the first ranges from five years to life in prison, but the former congressman from the Houston suburb of Sugar Land could receive probation.

source
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 08:31 am
the main reason i posted this topic is simply, it was part of a discussion that okie and cyclpos were having in another thread, thought they'd be interested in the result and might like a separate forum to move the discussion to

plus i love to see a politician (any variety, i'm an equal opportunity hater) get slapped around
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 10:29 am
I mean, what the ****, if you libtards can't use the EPA to start a second civil war, there's always the American judicial system....
IRFRANK

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 10:58 am
@High Seas,
Whatever it takes to win, right?

The party with the moral high ground, right?

IRFRANK

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 11:01 am
@gungasnake,
And out of the bleachers, a totally unrelated, wild accusation!

Should we bypass the judicial system and go straight to lynchings?

High Seas

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 12:10 pm
@IRFRANK,
Right on both! Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 11:43 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
yeah, I would be ok with house arrest.

That'd be okay as long as he couldn't leave even in the event of a house fire. That would make it all rather interesting.
0 Replies