Why believe in god? The theist perspective.

FBM

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 05:10 pm
@Johnjohnjohn,
Johnjohnjohn wrote:

The bible's Prophecies come true. What other religions prophecies do that? Think about Job's experience with GOD. Also, if you didnt notice its really just a big "how to keep a society from crumbling" manual. If you pray to God daily your life will get better by alot. I used to lie , steal, and try to destroy. Thats exactly what the bible says fallen angels do. I prayed to God one day and that behavior went away. Trust in me .

Oh, you a Poe. Never mind.
jespah

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 05:16 pm
@FBM,
I had to look that up.

Thanks; I learned something.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/List_of_Poe's_Law_examples
0 Replies

Johnjohnjohn

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 05:50 pm
@FBM,
So you believe that I most likely coincidentally fixed my problems by speaking to myself on my knees.. ok then

http://www.ibtimes.com/natural-disasters-are-hitting-harder-not-because-global-warming-1141461
Matthew 24:7 "For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes in diverse places"
Natural disasters are on the increase and the bible says more about this too.

II Timothy 3:1-5 states that in the end times ( which we are in) " People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— having a form of godliness but denying its power. " Tell me you havent seen an increase in this..
mikeymojo

Tue 1 Sep, 2015 08:58 pm
@Johnjohnjohn,
Johnjohnjohn wrote:

So you believe that I most likely coincidentally fixed my problems by speaking to myself on my knees.. ok then

I would make that bet. Or maybe you got sick of going to jail. If either is the case...bravo. You do realize that fixing your own problems yourself is more godly than asking God do it for you. You should give yourself more credit.
Amoh5

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 09:32 am
@FBM,
Just to clarify my understanding of God: The physical side of God is "The Sky" which comes from the terms "Heavenly Father" or "Father Sky" in relation to "Mother Earth". But the psychology or spirit of God is "FAMILY" Therefore my allegiance belongs only to "Lord Jesus" because i think he knows the true family psychology/spirit of God. Yes I have read the Wikipedia "Did Jesus really exist" conspiracy strawman theories but i don't take them seriously because i also believe in the power of positive thinking. Lord Jesus is a positive, family and human loving character. I'd give my allegiance to a character like that any day whether people say hes real or not, especially when he says he loves me, my parents, my brothers and sisters. I became a Christian only because of the morality of Lord Jesus not because of the magical fairy tale stories on him or the afterlife scenario. I think its very hard to put your entire trust in anyone when it comes to human psychology, because we all fall from grace now and then. Perfection is a very tough road for any human being to travel on. I've already tried the allegiance or trust only in myself, it didn't work for me, i'd get too aggro(or blind fury as they say) when faced with stressful situations. I've read about Sigmund Freud and his ideas on human psychology, but i definitely don't think i could put my entire trust in him for psychological guidance. I agree that there are people out there (such as yourself FBM ) who can get along quite fine on their own without any psychological/spiritual guidance from other people or sources. I read about Galileo on wikipedia saying that he thought people took the bible too literally, which i think so too. But i agree it was a tough time in Western world history where the Catholic Church did not allow much freedom of thought let alone atheism, very strange times indeed. I think that people should be able to have the freedom to believe in what they choose as long as they are not hurting innocent people or trying to force their beliefs on people who do not agree with them. I also wish you all the best of wellness, success and prosperity.
FBM

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 08:06 pm
@Amoh5,
We cool, then. Wink
0 Replies

Johnjohnjohn

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 08:37 pm
@mikeymojo,
oh hi again

I dont think I should because thats for people that put more effort towards change than saying a few words to Someone 😅
mikeymojo

Wed 2 Sep, 2015 09:48 pm
@Johnjohnjohn,
Johnjohnjohn wrote:

oh hi again

I dont think I should because thats for people that put more effort towards change than saying a few words to Someone 😅

Wow john. If your God does happen to exist, He is most definitely rolling in laughter right now.
Johnjohnjohn

Thu 3 Sep, 2015 05:31 am
@mikeymojo,
I bet he is.

Not at me though ...
0 Replies

think rethink

Mon 12 Oct, 2015 11:36 am
@msolga,
Just responding to the starting point.

I would have very comfortable placed, a two hundred dollar bet, the writer with his super effective advise, is Christian through and through inside out, way before he declares that himself.

If I would have been a shareholder in the Jesus business, and wanted to capture as much consumers as possible,
I would have done everything possible to remove all 5 incredibly logical reasons as quickly as possible, unless the entire business model is geared, towards the naive, and not yet developed mind.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 12 Oct, 2015 03:36 pm
@Johnjohnjohn,
Quote:
Also, if you didnt notice its really just a big "how to keep a society from crumbling" manual.
Just a guess, but i don't think he cares whether society crumbles or not. Hell, he even distroyed society on at least one occasion.

The only way I can make sense of things is that God valued close relationships with individuals rather than the nebulous ties with 'society'. I don't think he gives a **** about 'society'.
Johnjohnjohn

Tue 3 Nov, 2015 06:30 pm
@Leadfoot,
Just as your society has been destroyed?

He only destroys because the place/world becomes an asylum.

He wants us to socialize and to keep his commandments.

Just taste and see for he is a good God at heart, and is Righteous in anger.

Anger about sin is good anger, the anger we usually have isn't good.
FBM

Tue 3 Nov, 2015 08:37 pm
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/MjAxMy01ZDJhNzFkMmQ0MmEzZDc2.png
Johnjohnjohn

Thu 5 Nov, 2015 05:14 pm
@FBM,
Thats funny lol
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sun 8 Nov, 2015 03:15 pm
@Johnjohnjohn,
Quote:
Just as your society has been destroyed?
MY society? My dear man, I haven't found such a thing yet. Neither side will have me. I'm willing to accept that for a human lifespan. Beyond that I'd die of loneliness anyway. I don't know how long God lasted before he begot his son but even he has his limits.
0 Replies

naemlis

Sun 3 Apr, 2016 08:06 am
@msolga,
Works both ways man, hence I like to and hope we can focus on the message, not messenger( though I admit manner in which message is delivered does say something abt the message)
0 Replies

kency123

Sat 21 May, 2016 04:30 am
No one should ever be 100% atheist!!!

You cannot prove a negative. Anybody who says they're 100% sure god doesn't exist is deluded or lying. I'm an atheist but I am also afairyist and agoblinist. I can never disprove fairies or goblins but there is zero to show they exist. So I carry on my life as if they don't - just like, god, Allah, Zeus, Thor, and the rest.
Leadfoot

Sat 21 May, 2016 07:45 am
@kency123,
Quote:
I can never disprove fairies or goblins but there is zero to show they exist.
Not a good analogy. We can trace back the origins of those myths and show that they originated from imagination or works of fiction. The originators of them often freely admit that. The same is not true of God.
kency123

Sat 21 May, 2016 11:36 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Not a good analogy. We can trace back the origins of those myths and show that they originated from imagination or works of fiction. The originators of them often freely admit that. The same is not true of God.

No, fairies come from ancient Celtic folklore. But whether a storyteller claims their story to be true or not, believing it doesn't make it true. We've had 1000s of gods with no evidence for any. That there's been so many, and so many have died out, convinces me more that religions are false. Even if there is a 'creator', she doesn't seem to give a monkeys about the rules religious obsess over - and it doesn't take a mathematician to work out the majority have been getting them wrong all along.
Leadfoot

Sat 21 May, 2016 11:59 am
@kency123,
Quote:
But whether a storyteller claims their story to be true or not, believing it doesn't make it true.
You miss the point. You're too anxious to pounce on your real target of religion and God to pay attention to the logic of how you got there.

When the story teller admits that it's fiction, it removes any question of it's nonexistence.
It might not make it true when someone professes to believe something, but the question of whether it exists or not remains.