What does "Red Apple" indicate?

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 07:10 am
Is "Red Apple" a symbol of temptation from the devil in the literary perspective? In the fairy tale Snow White is poisoned by eating the red half of an apple, and man's fall originates from Eve's eating of an apple. In China we donot have any associative meaning to the image of a red apple. So my question is whether "Red Apple" indicates anything negative in the west. If it does, can you list me some examples of literature which has a "red apple" in it? Thank you a lot!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 9,289 • Replies: 10
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 07:18 am
@southfisherman,
it probably has more to do with the association of red with evil (in western culture anyway), the story "The Scarlet Letter" is about a woman who commits adultery and has a scarlet (red) letter "A" sewn on her blouse for all to see

as for the apple in the bible, i'm not sure it's ever said to be an apple, it's "the fruit of the tree of knowledge", not sure when an apple was first said to be the fruit
Fido

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 07:48 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

it probably has more to do with the association of red with evil (in western culture anyway), the story "The Scarlet Letter" is about a woman who commits adultery and has a scarlet (red) letter "A" sewn on her blouse for all to see

as for the apple in the bible, i'm not sure it's ever said to be an apple, it's "the fruit of the tree of knowledge", not sure when an apple was first said to be the fruit
True... When the tomato was first introduced to Europe, many thought it to be Eve's Apple and refused it as poison.. The Italians, perhaps for that very reason made it a part of their diet... Since it is a part of the deadly nightshade family, there is some reason to be fearful of it, and the Blacks of our South feared it too... I think it was Dr. G.W. Carver who helped to introduce it into their diets.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 07:58 am
Apples of any color have no such universal symbolism in English.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 09:54 am
A red apple means New York, New York to me..
Eve's apple was apparently a pomegranate.
Fido

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 01:16 pm
@Ceili,
What.... Is the apple of your eye???
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 02:39 pm
a few apples are self-pollinating. I'm not sure but I'm thinking that may be a sin.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 03:24 pm
Did you read that in the Book of Parthenogenesis?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 07:05 am
@Ceili,
What... Is an apple Indian???
Ceili

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 09:53 am
@Fido,

I have several 'apples of my eye' if you will, but I've never put a colour on them and I have no idea what an indian apple is???
Fido

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 11:41 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I have several 'apples of my eye' if you will, but I've never put a colour on them and I have no idea what an indian apple is???
An apple Indian is red on the outside and white inside (an insult to a native), and the apple of your eye is the pupil... Your English lesson for the day is done... Go play...
0 Replies