Black Friday- Do You Go Shopping on that Day?

ehBeth

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 08:30 am
@JPB,
Not sure what it is like where you are but here the Costco's source quite a few products locally - for exampley, the breads/cheeses/some meats can be different from store to store as they contract with local suppliers.

In the city Hamburgboy lives in, they've got a contract with a local Portuguese bakery for breads and buns - way better than a lot of the other stores carry.
JPB

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 08:31 am
@ehBeth,
A Costco opened up a few miles from here a couple years ago. I'll go check it out.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 08:36 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I have found that shopping online, (especially on Amazon) is a great way to get what you want, from the comfort of your own home. For $79- a year, I get two day free shipping, no matter what the size of my purchase.

Another Amazon Prime member? High five me Phoenix!
http://i45.tinypic.com/670bgn.jpg
Much of my Christmas shopping is Amazon bound simply because of that. Smile
Phoenix32890

Sat 19 Oct, 2013 04:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
I love Amazon. They are going to build a huge warehouse right in my neighborhood. I will have to pay tax, but I don't care, because it is still a great deal.

For those unfamiliar with the deal, for the $79-, in addition to the 2 day shipping, Amazon offers streaming movies. Many are free, but some are a few bucks.

I stream with the Roku 3, which, IMO, is one of the greatest inventions since sliced bread. I find that I very rarely watch cable anymore, and am seriously considering dropping it.
roger

Sat 19 Oct, 2013 06:05 pm
@Phoenix32890,
It's not the price that takes me back to Amazon, it's the inventory. Oh yeah, and the freedom from ignorant sales clerks acting like I'm the one that's dumb when they haven't a clue about, say, parts bags or scratch awls.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 19 Oct, 2013 06:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Just reading this thread anew. Now you've done it, Beth. I'm going to have to look up recipes for portuguese breads and buns.
I've known Costco is a good employer, used to like them to shop in too, back when I had a membership. At this point in my driving life, they're too far away. My neighbor works there, seems happy with it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Wed 27 Nov, 2013 10:02 pm
The night of consumer reckoning will soon fall on the world and rivers of blood will flow! Shocked
Rockhead

Wed 27 Nov, 2013 10:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
I will be delivering a trailer of firewood to my union boss on the near edge of the big city, and then retreating to the fields and grain elevators of rural murrica.

and the deer. they are winning this year.

not going within a mile of a Wally's...

0 Replies

mismi

Wed 27 Nov, 2013 10:16 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
Are you a Black Friday shopper?

Hell to the no.

Quote:
How early would you get up in order to snap up a bargain?

I would not. If I can't find it for that price or better before Christmas, we don't need it.

I am a bit of a Scrooge about shopping. Bah humbug.
trying2learn

Thu 28 Nov, 2013 12:33 am
@mismi,
Hi mismi
I hate shopping so my answer is NO!
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Thu 28 Nov, 2013 01:58 am
I had not a clue about Black Friday until I read about it on A2K several years ago, and until now, the UK has remained relatively unaffected by this monstrous marketing ploy to squeeze another pound or two from our pockets, to spend on crap we never knew we needed.
Until now.......
Last night on telly there was an advert for "Wall Mart" Asda (s'funny, it had only been called Asda up until then) telling us all about this new fangled event called Black Friday (or was it Tuesday? Whatever day it was, it was now definitely black).

I, for one, will avoid it like the plague.

Unless there's a good bargain, of course.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Fri 29 Nov, 2013 02:35 am
Quote:
Black Friday- Do You Go Shopping on that Day?
I imagine that a good percentage can be saved in sales today,
but I don 't have anything in mind to buy.

David
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 29 Nov, 2013 07:58 am
I notice Walgreens put out a flyer with some good deals on sundries. It's right down the street from my house, so on the way to wherever I'm going. You know, shampoo, toothpaste, things you need.

I also saw Bed Bath and Beyond has a coupon for 20% everything off your Entire purchase. That's a good deal, becuase ususally it's for 1 item. I can think of some misc. kitchen items that have worn out and need replacement. I doubt I'll be swayed by their nonsense items, like the incredible egg-stractor or some such thing.
I suppose that would be an excellent deal for someone in the market for a dyson vacuum, or some such thing....I'm not in the market for a new vacuum, especially one that never looses suction, considering I've hade to do my own version of angioplasty on the tubes of my hoover twice in the last couple of months...really I'm not at all interested.
chai2

Fri 29 Nov, 2013 08:02 am
@chai2,
Oh dear.

I just looked at the bed bath and beyond site and saw that dysons are 25% off....that would be a good deal then taking off another 20%.....if one were interested in that sort of thing.
ehBeth

Fri 29 Nov, 2013 08:43 am
@chai2,
some Canadian retailers are trying out Black Friday

it feels really weirdly random since our Thanksgiving was 7 weeks ago

this is just a sale on a day nobody has off
OmSigDAVID

Fri 29 Nov, 2013 09:24 am
@ehBeth,
In America, its traditionally a 4 day weekend,
a month before Christmas, beginning with Thanksgiving.
I don t remember clearly; were u originally an American ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Fri 29 Nov, 2013 09:32 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I notice Walgreens put out a flyer with some good deals on sundries. It's right down the street from my house, so on the way to wherever I'm going. You know, shampoo, toothpaste, things you need.

I also saw Bed Bath and Beyond has a coupon for 20% everything off your Entire purchase. That's a good deal, becuase ususally it's for 1 item. I can think of some misc. kitchen items that have worn out and need replacement. I doubt I'll be swayed by their nonsense items, like the incredible egg-stractor or some such thing.
I suppose that would be an excellent deal for someone in the market for a dyson vacuum, or some such thing....I'm not in the market for a new vacuum, especially one that never looses suction, considering I've hade to do my own version of angioplasty on the tubes of my hoover twice in the last couple of months...really I'm not at all interested.
How are things going with Wally, Chai? (off topic)
0 Replies

ericjhonson

Thu 24 Nov, 2016 01:58 am
I not done much shopping, just purchase $100 Cloths for my family...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Sat 25 Nov, 2017 06:46 am
tsarstepan

Mon 26 Nov, 2018 02:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
0 Replies