Physical Perfection Required - even in school pictures!

aidan

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 04:42 am
What the heck is going on? Don't talk fat - and now teach your children that you want them to be different from what they are and pretend they're something other than what they are at any given moment, because everyone else cares and that's important:

Quote:
No Boo-boos or Cowlicks? Only in School Pictures

By SARAH MASLIN NIR Published: November 19, 2010

Oliver Tracy showed up for his first-grade portrait with a crisp white shirt tucked into navy slacks, a striped tie slightly too long for his tiny frame, and not a lock of his sun-streaked blond hair out of place.
When his school picture was taken, Oliver Tracy, a Brooklyn first grader, had a scab near his eye, from a tumble while he was playing tag.In his school photo, retouching made Oliver’s scab disappear. But just above Oliver’s right cheek was a scab; he had tumbled while playing tag.
His father, Jahn Tracy, had e-mailed the school, the Bay Ridge Preparatory School in Brooklyn, to see if Oliver could take the photo on another day, after the cut healed.
Mr. Tracy need not have worried. When the big envelope of photos arrived, Oliver’s blemish was nowhere in sight. The practice of altering photos, long a standard in the world of glossy magazines and fashion shoots, has trickled down to the wholesome domain of the school portrait.
Parents who once had only to choose how many wallet-size and 5-by-7 copies they wanted are now being offered options like erasing scars, moles, acne and braces, whitening teeth or turning a bad hair day into a good one.
School photography companies around the country have begun to offer the service on a widespread basis over the past half-dozen years, in response to parents’ requests and to developments in technology that made fixing the haircut a 5-year-old gave herself, or popping a tooth into a jack-o’-lantern smile, easy and inexpensive.
And every year, the companies say, the number of requests grows. Joseph Sell, the New York area manager for Lifetouch, which says it takes about 30 million student photos a year, estimates that 10 percent of the company’s photos of elementary school pupils are now altered or, in the industry parlance, retouched.
Another company, Highpoint Pictures, estimated the proportion at 2 to 5 percent. The numbers go up after the seventh grade, Mr. Sell said.
By senior year, sometimes half of a class requests retouching, he said. “The media and magazines have exposed our marketplace to people that are well groomed and well cared for,” Mr. Sell said.
Lifetouch offers several levels of retouching, which can include a $6 “basic” treatment for small changes like removing the glare from eyeglasses; a $10-to-$20 “premier,” in which the teeth will be whitened or a cowlick tamed; and intricate, and more expensive, custom changes, like adding a tie or making short sleeves long.
What else can be tweaked? “There’s really not much limit,” Mr. Sell said. Mindy Cimmino of Wrentham, Mass., who owns an event-planning company, said she was initially aghast when she noticed a small check box on her children’s photo order forms asking whether she wanted retouching.
Then, two years ago, her daughter Delaina scratched her face the day before her third-grade portrait. Delaina was despondent about going to school that day. So Ms. Cimmino checked the box.
“My rationale was, this is not something that is part of her face,” she said. “I didn’t feel like I was changing my child.”
(The father of Oliver, the Brooklyn first grader, gave a similar explanation for choosing retouching. “It’s not like I’m making him thinner,” Mr. Tracy said.)
But Ms. Cimmino said she was stunned to learn that a parent of a classmate of Delaina’s had asked for the congenital strawberry mark on the child’s face to be wiped away. “That’s your kid,” Ms. Cimmino said in an interview. “You really need to think about the message it gives your kids about accepting themselves.”
Glossing over lasting disfigurements might not be a bad thing, said Dr. Bradley S. Peterson, chief of child and adolescent psychiatry at Columbia University and the New York State Psychiatric Institute. “There are kids who have some substantial socially stigmatizing features that they want to tone down,” Dr. Peterson said. Doing so in a photograph can build confidence, he said.
But parents who choose to edit also run the risk of “potentially validating the concerns that it is not O.K. to be that way,” Dr. Peterson said. “In some ways,” he said, “even though they’re trying to help the child’s confidence, it could inadvertently undermine it.” Some companies have quietly offered retouching for many years.

The rest of the article is here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/20/nyregion/20retouch.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 3,569 • Replies: 9
No top replies

aidan

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 04:46 am
This is my all-time favorite school picture of my daughter. I forgot it was school picture day (and I'm so happy I did) so she just looked like she always did - like a little girl who loved to play and didn't care if her hair was messy...I wouldn't trade this picture for the world - and especially not for an air-brushed idealized version of what a little girl is SUPPOSED to look like:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/SCAN0080.jpg
boomerang

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 08:28 am
It's the banality of those mass market school photos that make them so endearing! I was upset that our school brought in a private photographer this year to do portraits because I love those cheesy school photos so much.

But I do understand that for some families these are THE photos for the year and they want them to be nice. I can understand getting rid of a scab or some acne but draw the line, like someone in the article said, at anything that is part of their face -- scars, birthmarks, that sort of thing.

I had a friend who worked as a retoucher for one of the major school photo chains. He worked group photos and his main job was to find kids giving the finger and making gang signs. He worked from a massive "hand bank" that had every type of hand in every possible color and he could drop a new hand in and save the picture for everyone. He loved turning a kid giving the finger into a kid giving a friendly wave. He always wished he could see their reaction.

I'm fully in favor of retouching in those situations.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 09:14 am
Related but not safe for work (and not for people who find Playboy objectional)...

Quote:
It's "The Year Of The Rabbit" at Christie's, which has put up for auction an array of Playboy memorabilia. The most interesting are the copies of Playboy centerfolds from the 1990s and early 2000s that are marked up by editors and the art department — and subjected to a panel that grades them with a composite score.

http://jezebel.com/5693656/how-your-playboy-centerfold-sausage-is-made-nsfw

Love the quote "When your fantasy woman is not fantastic enough."
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 09:39 am
I dislike school pictures, period. In all the years, not one of the pictures taken
of my daughter in school, is really nice. She looks waxy and doll like in all of them and I never buy them either, except the one she needs for her yearbook. The backdrop choices alone are so hideous and straight from the 60s.

One of my friends is a great photographer and she would volunteer at schools to take school pictures, but no, it seems like the contracts for school pictures are
given through the city and gawd knows what the insider deal is there...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 09:41 am
Look, in 2004 they were progressive and took a striped backdrop for this boy...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2580/4120133355_ae4f3cbddf.jpg
PoliteMight

Reply Mon 23 May, 2022 08:00 pm
@aidan,
Speaking from work wise. Everybody wants a nice picture and retouching is not bad at all. Every single image you see all compare to the last image that was taken. Every single beauty shot in store is retouched to some degree. The over-all shoot consist mostly of

lighting equipment + high-res camera + photographer
make-artist + makeup + equipment
location + scout
etc ... horse rangler + gun handler / armorer + food etc etc et cetc
assistants to handle and move camera equipment.

About “The media and magazines have exposed our marketplace to people that are well groomed and well cared for,”

I am going to say this and make it clear. Most of those people are little being used for sex from birth. They are human-trafficked individuals. With fake records, the same people who scam people out of money because they think they are too beautiful. Some of them ( some ) are being held hostage and groomed into this life, while others have considered suicide over the alternative ( real work ). They do not want to settle down and in comparison flying around all over the place, sleeping around in somebodies mansion is how they live. Only a small amount of them actually are hard working people with heads on their shoulders. Only a small amount of them are actually real human beings. The unrealistic reality of these peeps are. It is a vicious repetitive cycle ( even gays ).

How does this work ? Some wealthy person with more money then money itself. I am talking about waterfalls of money. Not a person who worked hard, not a person made it big. Not a person who owns chains of small businesses. Not criminals, not organized crime, or not syndicates.

Rich kids - They have the mentality of somebody who plays too much videogames, watch rap-videos, and gets high on drugs too often. President Biden Son falls into this area, but I am not even talking about this person at all.
I mean people like princes, princesses, or even those who inherit their parents money. Think Charles Foster Cain, and so forth. THAT IS HOW THE MONEY FLOWS. They are called "The Happy Few" ( like the videogame ).

The reality people have jobs thanks to these people. Not just stylists, photographers, makeup artists, coordinators, security ( mostly ex-military), cleaners, hotels, chefs.

They use these people to open their brands AND WE PAY FOR IT ALL. We pay for everything. Your products in the bathroom and morning mirror, your electronics, and even Disney world, to Nascar, and NFL, NBL, etc we are paying for it.

You could see it around you. There is a pattern. Every single big blockbuster cinema film, every single service that saves you money in any way. All for one purpose.

If we humans actually had heads on our shoulders we all would just study to become medical sciences to solve problems ( not make money ), stop buying/eating garbage, and actually work towards using natural energy and make goods that extends our lives.

See that show on Broadway with the dancers who legs you see. All paid for by Medicaid, medicare, tax dollars. Meanwhile that persons spouse is sleeping with every other person that is willing to do it with them.

I am not against a good picture. However I know what good images are.
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Reply Mon 23 May, 2022 08:03 pm
@aidan,
That is because that is your kid that came from you. Of course ____ would look good. Your looking at a part of you, that represents and is so much more.

However imagine if you was in a town where everybody dressed up, and everybody was fancy clothing, and made an effort to appear better then they should be every step of the way.

To look your best? Imagine some war photo and the way those people was displayed. running in terror, naked, or even buried on top of each other like some bad joke. I guarantee anybody would love to go beyond what they see in front of them, as the best.
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Reply Mon 23 May, 2022 08:05 pm
@CalamityJane,
That looks like an error. Seriously zit face on 2007 and who is that bearded fellow.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 23 May, 2022 08:44 pm
uuuufffffff
0 Replies