Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Countdown!!

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 04:06 pm
@farmerman,
Ooops I forgot to do the white-font thing.

Maybe.

(Are you going to watch this movie?)
Shapeless

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 04:06 pm
@farmerman,
Well... it's complicated. Cool
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 04:14 pm
@sozobe,
Naaah. The women are gonna go see it but the wto husbands who watched part one of this last movie were bioth asleep quite early in the flick/
The movie got too impressed with itself in our assessments.

It wa LOTR (second to last one hwere they begin this goddam "quest") I fuggin hate quest movies, they are usually so damn inside.
The only decent quest movie I ever saw was "Lonesome Dove". but they presented that in an interminable sequence of action shots separated by hours of boredom.
LOTR? puhleeeeze. NArnia? over my dead body. Kill Bill? high level of putrescence on that one.

I think "Dethy HAllows I" went straight for the boredom factor.
sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 04:17 pm
@farmerman,
If you haven't read the books, I can see that. It's also weak as a stand-alone movie, as it's just the build-up to the payoff of pt. 2.

(Do you want to know what happens? Whether Harry lives or dies etc.? I can do another white-font post [highlight to read it, ignore if you don't want to know].)
farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 04:20 pm
@sozobe,
yeh, that much I need. I will then extort my wife .
"Make another blueberry pie or I tell ya what happens to the Poter kid"
Shapeless

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 04:27 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I fuggin hate quest movies

Part 2 is less of a quest movie than Part 1. Figuring out where the three remaining Horcruxes are doesn't take them much time. One of them gets deduced at the end of Part 1, really; Part 2 begins with them affirming this fact. The other two are at Hogwarts, and as the bulk of the movie concerns a big siege at the school, searching for the Horcruxes sort of gets absorbed into a larger and more routine struggle-between-the-forces-of-good-and-evil type situation. In fact, in terms of story time, most of Part 2 happens in one day.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 04:51 pm
@farmerman,
OK!

First, a disclaimer -- I read the books but since I saw the movie sans captions and since the movies have been diverging from the books in large and small ways, what I describe below might not be exactly what happens in the movie.

At any rate... Voldemort, in order to become immortal, has split his soul into several "horcruxes," which are objects infused with a bit of his soul. Some remains in him, some is in these objects. If his physical body is killed while one or more horcruxes exist, he'll come back. (This was, in fact, what happened when he failed to kill Harry with the killing curse -- "Avada Kedavra" -- and it rebounded and killed him. He was gone for a while, then came crawling back to corporeality.)

So, they have to destroy the horcruxes before they have a chance of killing Voldemort, like all the way killing him dead-dead and gone.

Harry is actually one of the horcruxes. Voldemort doesn't know that, he created that horcrux accidentally.

Harry decides he needs to sacrifice himself to Voldemort (this is long and involved, can get into it if you want.) He goes and finds him and Voldemort, not quite believing his luck, duly unleashes the killing curse.

That destroys the horcrux part of Harry, but Harry is not killed. He's sent to a sort of limbo, where he can decide whether to come back or not. He decides to come back.

He looks dead, though, sprawled on the ground. One of the death eaters (Voldemort's minions) goes to check on whether he's actually dead. She has ulterior motives (also complicated, can explain), and asks him a question, he says yes by barely nodding and then she indicates to those gathered that he's dead.

Much exultation.

His "dead" body is brought back to Hogwarts from the forest, to show off/ gloat/ etc. Then he suddenly comes back to life and the final showdown with Voldemort begins.

Harry's outthought Voldemort and kills him.
Shapeless

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:05 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
Harry is not killed. He's sent to a sort of limbo, where he can decide whether to come back or not. He decides to come back.

I thought this was the biggest and most detrimental of the movie's omissions: the explanation about how Harry is able to do what you describe above. It would have taken so little time to explain it. (In the book it is explained in a few sentences.) I really can't understand why they thought it was a negligible detail.
farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:14 pm
@sozobe,
I have thus sold my soul to the devil for one perfect and fresh blueberry pie.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:16 pm
@Shapeless,
Shapeless wrote:

Quote:
Harry is not killed. He's sent to a sort of limbo, where he can decide whether to come back or not. He decides to come back.

I thought this was the biggest and most detrimental of the movie's omissions: the explanation about how Harry is able to do what you describe above. It would have taken so little time to explain it. (In the book it is explained in a few sentences.) I really can't understand why they thought it was a negligible detail.

Oh, so they didn't have that part in the movie? Phooey. Yeah, it's not a time-consumer.

Farmerman, enjoy your pie.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 07:02 pm
I saw Part2 the other night. I think this is the best one of the entire series.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 07:39 pm
@sozobe,
I am enjoying it immensely. Seems she baked two pies just to shut me up real good.

HArry Potter can rot in Detroit for all I care. My ;last real ass backward investment in "epics" was SHOGUN, many years ago wen I was finishing my dissertation. Fuckin movie was so damnconvoluted because it was written for INSIDERS who read the Clavell Book. SO natch, here I was with about 4 weeks to go till defense and I hadda start reading SHOGUN. Boy was that a race to the wire.

No more would I do that, I said. SO Die HArry see'fIGAF
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 11:30 am
'Harry Potter' Hits $900M Worldwide in Record Time
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3229
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 08:22 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Around-the-World Brief: 'Potter' Beats 'Transformers' to $1 Billion
Deathly Hallows Part 2 hit $1 billion on its 19th day in theaters, which tied Avatar's record for fastest to reach that level. With a $1.008 billion total, Potter ranked eighth on all-time worldwide chart, ahead of The Dark Knight but behind Alice in Wonderland. With China opening next weekend, Potter's poised to ultimately take third place from The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King ($1.12 billion).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3232
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 07:12 am
The Worst Decision Ever Made in the Harry Potter Universe
http://www.cracked.com/video_18521_the-worst-decision-ever-made-in-harry-potter-universe.html
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2013 03:09 pm
0 Replies

johnbul

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 05:12 am
@eurocelticyankee,
I wish this movie can go more.. Loved it.. n Miss u Harry Porter.. Smile
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2015 09:34 am
@johnbul,
http://i57.tinypic.com/2h3udcl.jpg
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mallorymcinnis/you-repulse-me-the-least#.udrNOE1r5
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 06:33 am
@tsarstepan,
Who was a prickly fuddy duddy who thumbed down my harmless joke picture? Rolling Eyes
~~
Fun fact: Harry Potter has seven volumes in its book series that comes out to 53 books when converted to braille.
http://www.wnyc.org/story/braille-obsolete/
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2017 09:56 am