Ipod Touch 8GB or Ipod Touch 8GB 4...

Izzie

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 03:20 pm
so I'm looking at these Ipod touch things and ... hmmmmm

and I'm just wondering, are they worth it?

The new version (who knows what new is?) says this:

New Apple iPod Touch 8GB 4G.

Introducing the new iPod touch. See friends while you talk to them with FaceTime. Shoot, edit, and share stunning HD video. Play games against friends, or unknown foes, with the new Game Center. And do it all on the Retina display-the highest-resolution screen on any mobile device. It makes graphics and text look even more amazing. The new iPod touch. It's state-of-the-art fun.

* Now with FaceTime, Retina display, HD video recording and Game Center.
* FaceTime requires fourth-generation iPod touch or iPhone 4 and a Wi-Fi connection for both caller and recipient.
* Buy music, movies, TV shows, and audio books from the iTunes Store via Wi-Fi.
* Requires iTunes Store account. Free account sign-up through iTunes; must be aged 13 or over.
* 8GB storage.
* Download games and applications from the App Store via Wi-Fi.
* Rent movies from the iTunes Store via Wi-Fi.
* Brilliant 960 x 640 Retina display.
* Multi-Touch screen interface.
* Voice control.
* HD 720p video capture.
* Built-in volume controls, mic, speaker, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth.
* Front and back-facing cameras.
* Ambient light sensor.
* Accelerometer.
* Gyroscope.
* Nike + iPod support.
* Compatible with Mac and Windows.
* Wi-Fi internet access is required for some features; broadband recommended; fees may apply. Some features, applications, and services are not available in all areas. Application availability and pricing are subject to change.
* IOS 4.1 software.

If I'm being honest, I don't know really what all that stuff means, but teenagers do! I mean, what's an accelerometer???? It's not a gadget for me but...

would anyone recommend it for a teenager?

and what are the pro's and cons?

any advice would be welcome!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,627 • Replies: 11
No top replies

engineer

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 03:45 pm
@Izzie,
Cons: Price. That's about it.
Pros: Easy to use, very intuitive. One source shopping for music, video, applications. Widely available accesories. WiFi capable and apps available to using WiFi for making phone calls. Apps available for banking, games, navigating, just about anything someone can come up with.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 03:53 pm
I bought the new one (Touch, only with 8GB since the larger ones were sold out) in the USA, when it just came out.
For Mrs Walter. She likes it very much .... what engineer days.

I wouldn't know why I should use it, though. (But reading emails nearly everywhere without using the laptop is quite nice, I must admit.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 04:03 pm
I really love mine, way more than I expected to. (I didn't purchase it, it came free with a computer purchase.)

About the only con aside from price (if you can't wrangle a free one) is that there is a lot of overlap with the iPhone. (An iPod touch is basically an iPhone without the phone, just the extras.). So if you are considering the latter, I'd advise against getting the former.

But if you have a non-iPhone phone you're happy with and if you've found an iPod touch for a good price, I do recommend it.
Izzie

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 04:09 pm
@engineer,
OH, so am I reading that right Engineer... apps available for using the touch 4 as a phone....

so would that mean downloading a cost app to makes phonecalls...

(see I really don't get these things... it's a touch, how can it make phone calls, i though that was the problem with them - or does the new version have that facility)

what kind of costs are involved downloading the app to do that??

sorry, pls if you can spare the time, would you walk me through that (no huge hurry, don't wanna bother you, i just can't grasp it as everything I heard were they were great for FB etc blah - but you couldn't make a phone call on them. Or is Version 4 able to do that easily? Or can it only do that to other V4 itouch's. It's all a bit too-new-way-fangled

(sheesh - gimme a blonde gadget I can work pls!... sorry, kidding, no offence to blondes Razz)

They do sound great - would that mean I could get rid of the kids mobile phone contracts then???? or I am completely off base here. x
thanku for the responses...
Izzie

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 04:13 pm
@sozobe,
The iphones over here are HUGE dosh and minimum contracts of around £35 month.... or more... and I am half considering this for R-boy as he doesn't have signal where is he, but he can get a wifi signal.... my only fear is the HUGE cost of them... electronics here are just megadosh...

but if the itouch can make phone calls... and do the other stuff... well... that's an option

I'm struggling here... I wish I wish I wish I didn't need to think about dosh - I need the best value gizmo for my son, without going without food for 6 months... then of course there is S-boy....

darn... worrying now...

our laptops are both broken, I know we're worlds apart Soz, but what was the computer company... ya know, it's worth looking into even in the UK they do an occasional deal? Thanks if you can let me know.
Izzie

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 04:13 pm
@sozobe,
Thank you tho for the recommendation...

no bad opinions yet... that's good methinks Very Happy thank you all
djjd62

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 04:21 pm
@Izzie,
i don't know about the 4th gen, but i have an 8 gig 3rd gen ipod touch, it has no voice capability that was only available in the lager gig models, 32 gig at least and i think 16 too, what that meant was, with a mic adapter you could use the wifi on the ipod to turn it into a skype phone, with the 4th gen you can have video too

apps are anywhere from around $2 (canadian) and up depending on what you want, a lot are free
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 04:45 pm
@Izzie,
Check out this article on an app to use the Ipod as a WiFi phone.
Izzie

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 04:53 pm
@engineer,
Cool Engr - thank you for that...

gonna need to investigate that further - our hotspots and mobile access changes with each company in each area - it can be a pain in the bahookie

I will need to go visit somewhere and get them to show me how it works

thank you so much for the help...

I think I may have been persuaded. If I cancelled the contract for S-boys phone which is not used too much, if the Itouch works, problem solved.

Thanku

anymore advice for anyone else would be appreciated too...

BIG HUGE DECISION this is! Shocked

Thank you
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 06:07 pm
@Izzie,
Apple!

I bought an iMac and the iPod was thrown in free.

It's the older version, without the camera.

The promotion was limited, a back-to-school thing (for both students and educators, and E.G. is an educator, so we qualified).

IPhones over here are huge dosh and expensive minimum contracts, too. My iPod touch + my Blackberry = a rather inelegant iPhone (but way, way cheaper in terms of both initial cost and monthly fees).

To clarify, if you already have an iPhone, I don't think it makes sense to get an iPod Touch (most of the cool stuff is already there on the iPhone).

If you don't have an iPhone, then the iPod touch is very cool, but it depends a great deal on what you want to use it for.

I have wireless internet in my house and use the iPod as basically a back-up (verysmall) computer whenever the main computer is in use. (I can check email, A2K and Facebook, surf for misc stuff on the net, etc.) Then I also play games on it, etc.

Anyway, what would be the main purpose? Why would you be getting it? For R-boy as a present (just for fun), or for him to use as a music player, or something else...?
engineer

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:46 pm
@sozobe,
http://www.androidtapp.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/How-Android-iPhone-and-Blackberry-Users-See-Themselves-550x777.jpg
0 Replies