Obsolete Technology, or, What was I Thinking of at the Time??

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:12 am
I started a thread to discuss the advent of 3D television. Then I started to think of all the changes in entertainment technology that has occurred in the last few decades.

While thinking about this, I started to review all the stuff that at the time, was the greatest thing in home entertainment, that is now relegated to the scrap pile of history.

Anybody remember 45 & 78 rpm records, Betamax, Quadraphonic sound, video discs? Have any of you invested in what was thought to be the latest and greatest, only to find that not too long after it was tossed in that same place in history where lies the high button shoes and buggy whips?

Please share your stories. I have quite a few to tell.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,920 • Replies: 15
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:22 am
@Phoenix32890,
i bought a high def dvd player for my xbox 360, then about 3 months after blue ray won the tech race, hi def became the 21st century beta max
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:34 am
A way to make a lot of money.

I discover a new technology. I only sell the first step in the technology. After millions of my invention have been sold, I introduce the second step of my invention. After more millions have been sold, I market the third step of my invention. An on and on and on.

I discover a new technology. I'm big time rich laughing all of the way to the bank.

The auto industry has done this for decades.

BBB

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:35 am
@djjd62,
I must have thousands of VHS tapes, some recorded, and some bought. Now that I am into Blu-Ray, I can't stand to look at the VHS tapes, the quality is so inferior, even though I have tapes of many great flicks. In fact, I find that I am so spoiled that even regular DVDs annoy me.

One of these days, I am going to have a HUGE garage sale!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:36 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BBB- You know what they say about "building a better mouse trap"! Laughing
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:39 am
@Phoenix32890,
Yep, they catch cheese.

BBB
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:52 am
I bought a GPS a few years ago. I think I've used it exactly once. Thing is, you have to buy their 'updated' maps software to keep current.

Besides...I don't really mind getting lost, time permitting. I've had some memorable experiences due a couple of wrong turns here and there lol.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:53 am
@Phoenix32890,
there was this guy about 4th century bc who invented bronze, it was the rage, then along comes some joker who discovers brass. He like totally ruins the bronze industry, bronze becomes obsolete. and then, what the ****, some shyster capitalist comes up with iron. It's a damn plot to destroy the middle-class. next thing you know buggy whips will be outmoded.
roger

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 02:25 pm
@dyslexia,
Wonder what recent poster is still using the ol' eight track.

Hint: Bob, you can still get cassetts at Goodwill.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 02:28 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Wonder what recent poster is still using the ol' eight track.

Hint: Bob, you can still get cassetts at Goodwill.
yes, my truck came with a factory installed C-player.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 02:51 pm
@dyslexia,
Somewhere I know that I have a few of those 33 1/3s that were made of clear red plastic. Must be worth a fortune by now!
tycoon

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 03:16 pm
I surely relate to this thread, yet can't help realize a kind of reverse misfortune. I traded in my Fender Twin reverb tube guitar amplifier to get with the times, buying the latest solid state bells-and-whistles amp only to discover audiophiles and purists paying big bucks now for the warm sounds that only tubes can deliver. Much the same with my LP record collection... gone. Now what is the craze? Turntables.

Hang on to those VCR tapes and 33's, Phoenix. Don't make the same mistakes as me. Haha.
roger

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 03:16 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I've got a bunch, but all black vynal. A small handfull of 45s, too.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 03:22 pm
@tycoon,
I don't know if you are aware of this, but there are turntables that cost a fortune now. Tube amps are the darlings of some diehard audiophiles, who swear that the sound that the tubes produce are warmer and more realistic sound than transistor equipment.
tycoon

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 04:46 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Yes, and the pops and hisses coming from a needle running through a vinyl record are part of the...ambiance! I'm very glad to hear those kind of sentiments.

I shouldn't complain however about my misfortunes. I have, for instance, held onto an analog reel to reel recorder which does a superb job, superior to digital recordings. Have you happened to keep any older technology gadgets that you're glad you did?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 08:22 am

Top 10 Real High-Tech Devices in Movies That Look Hilariously Dated Today
0 Replies